Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times

Advertisements

In the Mississippi forum, someone suggested that if the Saints were to move to Jackson, MS they wouldn't miss a beat in sales or attendance because there are more than enough Saints fans in Mississippi, AND Louisiana would still support them as well.

Everyone is in disagreement with him. We understand that Mississippi doesn't have the population, or a large enough metro area with the money to support them. I think that if you take the identity of the New Orleans Saints that Louisiana supports them for, then Louisiana people would largely not support them. They would attract another team and support it instead.

This person says our thinking is the reason Mississippi will never get ahead. We aren't progressive thinking. I say it has nothing to do with progressive thinking, and more to do with common sense and realism regarding a Mississippi NFL team. Maybe when Mississippi hits 6 million people it would work, but even Tennessee didn't get an NFL team until 1999 with a population of 6.3 million.

In your opinion, would a Jackson, MS NFL team work? More importantly, would Louisiana and other Saints fans still support the Saints if they were in Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
In the Mississippi forum, someone suggested that if the Saints were to move to Jackson, MS they wouldn't miss a beat in sales or attendance because there are more than enough Saints fans in Mississippi, AND Louisiana would still support them as well.

Everyone is in disagreement with him.
Then I guess it doesn't matter what I think, or anyone else for that matter, right?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then I guess it doesn't matter what I think, or anyone else for that matter, right?
Let me specify. Everyone in the conversation in the Mississippi forum disagrees with him. Just trying to get a non-Mississippi perspective.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

Everyone is in disagreement with him. We understand that Mississippi doesn't have the population, or a large enough metro area with the money to support them. I think that if you take the identity of the New Orleans Saints that Louisiana supports them for, then Louisiana people would largely not support them. They would attract another team and support it instead.

This person says our thinking is the reason Mississippi will never get ahead. We aren't progressive thinking. I say it has nothing to do with progressive thinking, and more to do with common sense and realism regarding a Mississippi NFL team. Maybe when Mississippi hits 6 million people it would work, but even Tennessee didn't get an NFL team until 1999 with a population of 6.3 million.

In your opinion, would a Jackson, MS NFL team work? More importantly, would Louisiana and other Saints fans still support the Saints if they were in Mississippi?
Absolutely not.

The NFL is already having trouble getting Jacksonville, FL; Buffalo, NY; and Minneapolis, MN to work. No way they would even give Jackson, MS a sniff.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I think Jackson would be a good place for the Saints and would welcome their move to MIssissippi.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Can't see the Saints leaving New Orleans and going to Jackson, Mississippi, nope not a good idea. It doesn't even make sense, funny someone would think it is a great idea!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Can't see the Saints leaving New Orleans and going to Jackson, Mississippi, nope not a good idea. It doesn't even make sense, funny someone would think it is a great idea!
The op made it sound more hypothetical than practical, but I agree, the saints have a very energized fan base ATM... I can't imagine them anywhere else

Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
The Saints are pretty much the heart and soul of New Orleans. Can't see them ever leaving.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
..and I think the Yankees would work in Hartford.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I can't see them leaving now that they won a Super Bowl. If they never won a Super Bowl things might be different. But keep in mind the Saints were a huge help in putting New Orleans back on the map after the 2005 Hurrican Katrina. That town is still having a hard time in some aspects. At least because of there football the economy probably does alright during football season.

New Orleans is also a big Super Bowl town every so often which also helps the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football