Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
When you have the talent the Giants do and you are on the verge of not making the playoffs, you are going to be on the hot seat. You do realize this team was a few points from watching the playoffs at home right?
Yeah, believe me, I know... I'm a 'Skins fan and the Giants got swept by them this year. Their last loss was actually against the 'Skins.. Your point is well taken but to get his team back on track not once but twice (07 was very similar) and beat THE team of the decade with arguably the best coach/QB combo has to say something about the coaching.

A lot of other coaches could not have pulled that off even once with the same roster.... But your point is well taken and valid.

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 02-06-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
He is 65, not dead, I don't see why he should!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Coughlin is gradually becoming one of my favorite coaches. The thing I like about him is that he doesn't seem to eat up the label of being a 'genius'. He doesn't seem to care if he's labeled one or not. He just consistently asserts discipline and guides his team to success. I also have to credit the Mara family for not hitting the panic button the way the Knicks and Mets do every time they have a bad year.

If you're Coughlin you don't back away now. You don't leave this talent and walk away from the game. You've got a chance to be competitive for at least one and perhaps the next two or three seasons. It'll be harder next year, with the Lions, Packers, Bears, and 49ers all promising to be in the mix. I would say the Saints but I'm not entirely sure if they'll be around, as they're an aging team.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yeah, believe me, I know... I'm a 'Skins fan and the Giants got swept by them this year. Their last loss was actually against the 'Skins.. Your point is well taken but to get his team back on track not once but twice (07 was very similar) and beat THE team of the decade with arguably the best coach/QB combo has to say something about the coaching.

A lot of other coaches could not have pulled that off even once with the same roster.... But your point is well taken and valid.
I think this is excellent insight. It's true that Coughlin came very close to being remembered for another epic failure this season, but he knew that there was nothing wrong with the coaching and he had the confidence to stick with what they intended to do all season long. The fact that they were able to communicate that confidence to the players, though, in the midst of their mid-season crisis says something about their overall team management skills. Lots of coaches can draw up X's and O's but can't communicate that vision successfully and can't communicate confidence and reassurance. Coughlin and his veteran coaching staff have done that repeatedly. I'd say they've even done a better job in this respect than Belichick's staff at times. There have been a couple of times over the past few years when it has been clear that not everyone has bought into Belichick's 'genius' and it has cost them games at times.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I am not so confident that Belichick's genius aspect doesn't wear jersey #12. I will be interested in seeing how he compares once #12 retires... besides, he didn't become a genius until #12 began playing..

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
He already announced in this mornings press conference, he wants to come back. He has no plans for retirement.
That makes me really upset. He was supposed to win and leave and send a message to the NYC Media and Fans...."I won and I'm done so how you like me now?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I am not so confident that Belichick's genius aspect doesn't wear jersey #12. I will be interested in seeing how he compares once #12 retires... besides, he didn't become a genius until #12 began playing..
He was considered a defensive genius.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM

780 posts, read 1,542,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
When you have the talent the Giants do and you are on the verge of not making the playoffs, you are going to be on the hot seat. You do realize this team was a few points from watching the playoffs at home right?

Let's not forget TC pulled this off in spite of the early injuries to the team.

There is no reason for him to resign and wait for another team to coach. As has been said, he is now coaching with house money.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
Let's not forget TC pulled this off in spite of the early injuries to the team.

There is no reason for him to resign and wait for another team to coach. As has been said, he is now coaching with house money.
If he resigns he can go to another team that is close to being a playoff team not a team like the Browns. Sit home for a year and relax and analyze where he may want to go next.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If he resigns he can go to another team that is close to being a playoff team not a team like the Browns. Sit home for a year and relax and analyze where he may want to go next.
Why? He has a team capable of winning a Super Bowl right now and he knows the players, his staff, and the organization very well. If he were 45, instead of 65, that might be a decent idea but he is probably only going to coach a few more years. Not many teams want to hire a coach knowing that he might only coach 5 years at most. Teams want to hire a coach knowing he will be there 10 or more years if things work out.

Also, not many teams in need of a coach are playoff level teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football