Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
This is not correct. Jim Plunkett won two Super Bowls and is still out of the Hall. Plunkett was awarded the MVP award in SB 15, when the Raiders defeated Philadelphia, 27-10. He had another strong performance en route to a 38-9 curb stomping of Washington in SB 18. And yet, he still has yet to make it to the HoF nearly 30 years after winning his second ring.
Yea I forgot about ole Plunk... He's the ONLY multiple super bowl champion not in though. So I think it's safe to say he's the exception to the rule.

I still say Eli is in. He already has more yds and like 60 less INTs than Plunk. He'll pass him in TDs next year. I think it's safe to say Eli is in... Period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,577 times
I would say that if Eli decided to hang them up today and go be an alpaca farmer he would get in.

He didn't just win two Super Bowls, he won two Super Bowl MVPs. That is something only Montana (with three), Bradshaw and Brady can say.

He didn't do that against teams that had one good year and then faded (Cardinals, Bears in recent years) he did it against the arguably the best QB/Coach combo in this era. Twice. Once even ending their bid at immortality.

He did all of this not in some backwater burg, but on the biggest stage in New York.

If Eli was just along for the ride with these titles, this would be a more difficult argument to make but Eli was instrumental in both victories.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Eli's on his way, but he's too inconsistent to be labeled as either a Hall of Famer or even a great QB; he's a very good QG, with the potential to make it to Canton, but he's still got some work to do...

Plunkett was just too inconsistent to ever be in the Hall; his stints in New England and San Fran didn't end well at all...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Let's get this back to the Kurt Warner/Eli manning thread. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM

What does the thread say? It says Kurt Warner: Eli Manning is not a hall of fame player.

Ben Roethisberger is not related to this thread. I'll delete the other Ben posts later, for now I'm closing the thread for moderator review.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-10-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM

Thread now open. Again, let's keep the comments to the thread title. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
I think Kurt Warner response was fair. After all he was asked the question and he brought up some legitimate points. The issue I have with what Kurt Warner's statement is talking about how team's win championships. If we used that adage for people who win championship then I think that would be an indictment more on Kurt's career than Eli. Eli doesn't have a Marshall Faulk in his back field or a Issac Bruce as a wide out. He played on one of the most prolific offenses in league history. Manning was able to win two championships with some differences in the personnel that he worked with. The one thing Manning had going for him was a great defense on the other side (they stepped up even though they played bad during the season), but credit has to be given for him stepping up when needed in order to win a championship. Of course he is probably too young for you to definitely say that he is a hall of famer, but if he has one more season like he did this year, even if he doesn't win a championship, I would think that should make him a lock. I think it should also be considered that he lead his team to two Super Bowl victories over a future hall-of-fame QB and over a team that is considered one of the best modern day dynasty's in sports.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,348 times
Warner is an analyst on NFLN now; so he is going be asked these kinds of questions...that is alot different than Tiki Barber these days (Barber is pathetic, but that another topic--wait, I think we already have that thread! ).

However, I think he is right--let's see Eli do a little bit more right now. I think the most this SB has done for Eli is put him in the conversation--that's it. I dont think he is in right now. I believe what Warner said about Eli really can apply to his own candidacy as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,459 times
^^^What does it matter if Kurt is an analyst or not, Tiki was an analyst as well, Kurt's resentment toward Eli is as a result of him being benched when he was with Giants in 2004 in favor of Eli.

I could care less if there is another thread on Tiki or not, if I choose to use Tiki as a comparison, that is my prerogative, in my opinion, they are both self serving idiots, which was my only contention, nothing more or less.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
^^^What does it matter if Kurt is an analyst or not, Tiki was an analyst as well, Kurt's resentment toward Eli is as a result of him being benched when he was with Giants in 2004 in favor of Eli.

I could care less if there is another thread on Tiki or not, if I choose to use Tiki as a comparison, that is my prerogative, in my opinion, they are both self serving idiots, which was my only contention, nothing more or less.
I don't understand it. It's like the moment someone says something that is deemed negative about someone they are automatically thought of as a hater.

First, please remember he was asked the question, this wasn't a matter of him just making this statement out of the clear blue or putting it on twitter. If he is an analyst and he gets asked a question, do you want him to lie? He just gave his opinion.

Second, he made legitimate points. Eli needs a few more years of productivity. Notice that he never said that Eli won't be a hall of famer, he just said, he isn't one YET.

Third, this is Kurt Warner's nature. He was very critical of Tim Tebow's actions earlier in the season and thought he was being over the top. Some may say that he is being overly critical, but that's his nature and his opinion.

He's not acting any different now than he does with anyone else. He is just expressing his opinion and didn't say anything that doesn't at least have some basis for debate. If he said something like Eli will never be a hall-of-fame QB, then he would be a hater, but to say that he's not there yet is a reasonable point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football