U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM

10,463 posts, read 7,664,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I for one have no intention on going to see my team in a Super Bowl unless it's in a warm weather city (with palm trees) like Miami or New Orleans. Or Tampa, or Phoenix. Maybe Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is kinda "sprawley".
So is Phoenix, Tampa, Miami, Houston, and Dallas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM

1,440 posts, read 738,183 times
I think that any NFL city that ponies up the funds to build an Indoor stadium is entitled to a Superbowl-----whether or not it be in a warm weather city.

Playing Superbowls in cities like Detroit, Indianopolis, or any other locale that will build a weather controlled facility, will also introduce journalists and the nation to cities other than the warm weather locales where sports writers can sun tan.

Being from the midwest, I say yes to playing an occasional game in cold weather climates. Let the Superbowl go into the heartland---nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 9,173 times
When I was younger I used to think the super bowl winning city should be next year's host, but then I realized how unfair that was to domed/or warm weather home teams that made it in a year after the Packers/Steelers/Patriots etc. I should also mention that being a Colts fan, I am not at all happy about the undomed Miami stadium and occasional rain, ala our only SB win we could have fumbled away if Rex didn't do the same. Living near Indy I of course feel the non-warm weather domed cities should have a shot, and maybe a few undomed yet not too reliably horrific weather newbees with points of interst and good downtowns (KC.) I like how given little chance to succeed beforehand our humble little city re-wrote many of the aspects of the build up to the game. I get a laugh reading through the Dallas page with Fort Worth and Dallas arguing over who should get the centralized downtown party location like Indy (those cities sure have issues with each other.) However, I think we fully understand here that we aren't now the go to place, or even top 5, despite all this (the price gouging hotels hurt.) NOLA has the best location bar none, especially for those who don't drag the whole family to the SB. However, you start giving the SB only to cities who get tons of tourism anyway and the host committee loses enthusiasm and you end up with thrown together debacles like Dallas & Jacksonville. I think Indy would love a chance to prove naysayers wrong, that the weather is what made our SB a success. I would also like to see a similar city to ours get the SB (Cincin, KC) and either succeed and spread the wealth, or fail and confirm that enigmatic Hoosier force.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,943,563 times
I think the Super Bowl should rotate between all 32 NFL cities. These metro's build the stadiums so all should get the economic windfall of hosting the leagues championship. In fact, any politican that does not REQUIRE the NFL to give them a Super Bowl in return for public financing of a new football stadium is not doing their job.

The NFL was built in cold weather cities like Pittsburgh, New York, Chicago, etc. those cities have supported the NFL for DECADES. They deserve to host the Leagues big game. I would argue that San Diego, New Orleans, Miami, etc. should have to miss a round or two to make up for all the games they have hosted in the past.

Everyone says the game should be played in warm weather locales or domes so the weather does'nt impact the outcome. This is Football. It's an outoor, fall/winter sport were weather is part of the game. If you want a sunny sport go watch women's tennis. Ironically, some teams are better in domes (i.e. Current Saints, Kurt Warner's Rams) but people don't seem to mind putting the SB indoors which may impact the outcome. Plus the Ice Bowl is still one of the greatest NFL games ever.

So Bring em' on! Super Bowl L at Soldier Field, LI at Heinz Field, LII at FED EX in DC and on and on. If the poor little Celebs and Corporate exec crowd don't want to watch in the cold - F' em. More seats for real football fans.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,496,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I for one have no intention on going to see my team in a Super Bowl unless it's in a warm weather city (with palm trees) like Miami or New Orleans. Or Tampa, or Phoenix. Maybe Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is kinda "sprawley".
New Orleans does not have palm trees and weather is hardly ideal in early February.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM

12,956 posts, read 11,362,035 times
LongtimeBravesFan is right. If you go back to Super Bowl IV, the weather in that game was partly cloudy but early that morning and a good portion of the day before was stormy, I imagine the temps were in the 50's, maybe 60. But the fans in the stands were wearing jackets and coats. Remember, the Superdome wasn't completed until maybe 1975 and the NFL, as they usually do, award that town the Super Bowl the year or two after the new stadium is completed. Up until that time, the Saints played their games at Tulane University. Super Bowl IV was played there as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM

10,153 posts, read 5,337,506 times
I have boycotted NFL football since 1992.

When the NFL starts rotating the Superbowl through every franchise city, then I'll start watching again, and buying NFL licensed franchise goods etc etc.

Otherwise, I don't care. There's plenty of other football to watch.

Boycotting....

Mircea

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,825,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I think the Super Bowl should rotate between all 32 NFL cities. These metro's build the stadiums so all should get the economic windfall of hosting the leagues championship. In fact, any politican that does not REQUIRE the NFL to give them a Super Bowl in return for public financing of a new football stadium is not doing their job.

The NFL was built in cold weather cities like Pittsburgh, New York, Chicago, etc. those cities have supported the NFL for DECADES. They deserve to host the Leagues big game. I would argue that San Diego, New Orleans, Miami, etc. should have to miss a round or two to make up for all the games they have hosted in the past.

Everyone says the game should be played in warm weather locales or domes so the weather does'nt impact the outcome. This is Football. It's an outoor, fall/winter sport were weather is part of the game. If you want a sunny sport go watch women's tennis. Ironically, some teams are better in domes (i.e. Current Saints, Kurt Warner's Rams) but people don't seem to mind putting the SB indoors which may impact the outcome. Plus the Ice Bowl is still one of the greatest NFL games ever.

So Bring em' on! Super Bowl L at Soldier Field, LI at Heinz Field, LII at FED EX in DC and on and on. If the poor little Celebs and Corporate exec crowd don't want to watch in the cold - F' em. More seats for real football fans.

Not every NFL city is suited to host a Super Bowl. For example, Green Bay does not have the infrastructure to host that many people. I think some of the other smaller market teams could struggle as well. Do you understand how many people come to the town that week and weekend? Your talking about tens of thousands of people flooding into a city that do not live there. It would take the hotels, public transport, and other things.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 14,224,842 times
Only hold it in cities that have good areas to party.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
JJG

9,518 posts, read 9,159,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findy View Post
I get a laugh reading through the Dallas page with Fort Worth and Dallas arguing over who should get the centralized downtown party location like Indy (those cities sure have issues with each other.)
When you're in an area with TWO cities of over 500,000 that compete against each other as much as work with each other and over 6 million in an area that covers the state of Rhode Island, that'll happen.

Indy didn't have a Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, or Grapevine to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football