U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,156,431 times
Reputation: 1644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I was at the game yesterday and no one knew what happened. Jets and Pats fans alike. It didn't get replayed on the Jumbo Tron because it really looked silly - a 15 yard penalty for pushing your own guy? The NFL should just go ahead and bring flags in that way there would be no chance of an injury.

So yeah it was a total BS call that I am sure has never been called all season. No it's no the same as the "tuck" rule for those who are quickly pointing that out.

That being said, Pats still lead the division, and the Jets barely beat our "B" defense and a technicality gave them the win. Crappy calls happen all day long and add to the overall emotional rollercoaster we're all addicted to "that is the NFL"
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,175 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Reputation: 29902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
That being said, Pats still lead the division, and the Jets barely beat our "B" defense and a technicality gave them the win. Crappy calls happen all day long and add to the overall emotional rollercoaster we're all addicted to "that is the NFL"

The stats say the Pats were plainly and simply, BEAT by the Jets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Reputation: 4582
It's actually a lot like the tuck rule in that its a almost unknown rule that rarely gets called.. At least the tuck rule was unknown, I think everyone knows about it now.

I have seen this 'pushing or leverage' penalty called before, maybe 3 times in the last decade. Its rare, but its a rule as is the tuck rule. You don't see it called very often but it was the right call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,156,431 times
Reputation: 1644
I did hear one of the talking heads say that there has been over 400 extra points and field goals made in the NFL so far this season, and that was the first time this "rule" was enforced. That was the correct call as the rule is written, it's just a bad rule. Much like the tuck rule was the correct call......just a bad rule.Rule 9-1-3, the new rule, says "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation". Crazy game! Still 5-2, lead the Division, and the Sox are in the World Series. Life is pretty good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,012,722 times
Reputation: 18406
It was a legit call. One of the new rules implemented his season. Pats fans don't seem to mind when he refs missed an obvious holding call that allowed them to win against the Saints. I can think of several bad or missed calls that have helped the Pats win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 AM
 
513 posts, read 574,003 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It's actually a lot like the tuck rule in that its a almost unknown rule that rarely gets called.. At least the tuck rule was unknown, I think everyone knows about it now.

I have seen this 'pushing or leverage' penalty called before, maybe 3 times in the last decade. Its rare, but its a rule as is the tuck rule. You don't see it called very often but it was the right call.
I'm not blaming the refs for the loss, but you are 100% wrong. You have never seen it called because it was a new rule this year and was called for the 1st time yesterday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,156,431 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It was a legit call. One of the new rules implemented his season. Pats fans don't seem to mind when he refs missed an obvious holding call that allowed them to win against the Saints. I can think of several bad or missed calls that have helped the Pats win.
Talk about missed holding calls. How about Seymour getting the Russian Sickle applied to him in the '07 Super Bowl on the David Tyree helmet catch. It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,763,807 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I did hear one of the talking heads say that there has been over 400 extra points and field goals made in the NFL so far this season, and that was the first time this "rule" was enforced. That was the correct call as the rule is written, it's just a bad rule. Much like the tuck rule was the correct call......just a bad rule.Rule 9-1-3, the new rule, says "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation". Crazy game! Still 5-2, lead the Division, and the Sox are in the World Series. Life is pretty good!
Yeah, let's maintain perspective. Rex lives another day (literally). I don't know what was the basis of this rule or if anyone was hurt in the past as a result of this, I have a feeling this rule will be reviewed again in the off-season as you can argue there's a LOT of pushing and shoving in P-A-T and FGs where no one is endangered.

This technicality gave the Jets a do-over with 15 more yards. That was a bad call however it's sliced or diced. It's not the same as the tuck rule. There was no controversy, it didn't "negatively" affect the kick, etc. The ref decided to pull out an obscure rule out of the 1000s of rules that are in the book. It was a technically right, but a very bad call. I would rather they call one of the dozens of holds that occurred on both sides that they obviously let by.

However it is what it is, it was a divisional game, and not a conference championship so I would rather a screw up like that happen now vs. in post season. So with that it's cool, we're still at the top of the division. The Jets wins + the Giants wins are still less than the Pats wins, and yeah, Red Sox are in the World Series while the Yankees look toward 2014. So it's still good to be a New England/Boston sports fan.

Aside from that, I'm pleased that Gronk looks good. If this were his 2nd or 3rd week back he would have caught that one handed pass, no doubt.

Given that Mayo is done for the season, I really really hope Talib will make it back We're going to have to get real creative defense-wise given the massive injuries that have sideline 3 major starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I'm not blaming the refs for the loss, but you are 100% wrong. You have never seen it called because it was a new rule this year and was called for the 1st time yesterday
No, i have seen leverage called before when a player jumps on another players back to reach higher which is what i thought was the call.

This was a first..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
 
513 posts, read 574,003 times
Reputation: 362
Yeah that makes sense. When i heard a pushing penalty I had no idea what was going on. Guess it is in the rulebook (although the wordage of the rule changed after the BB interview). Either way, the Patriots were terrible. Defense is really hurting and that was by far the worst I have ever seen Brady look in a game. And the play calling to not run it more was absurd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top