U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,467,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Dude I hear your - the Carolina call was awful, I was sore about it for a week. However I don't think the PI in the Browns game was anywhere near as bad. Game is over so we can only talk about it. I totally agree, these missed calls are bad, no matter what side you're on - it eventually bites you - it's a double edge sword, some times it helps, some times it hurts. I believe everyone in the NFL has factored busted calls in and realize they have to make enough plays to offset them
It's not a matter of degree. There was no interference by the Browns. There wasn't anything that could even be considered interference by any referee whose decisions aren't predetermined.

Carolina game was probably just as bad, I didn't see it. I also don't have to see it to know that it was not worse. The question to ask here isn't, "who is getting screwed worse," it's "why do NFL refs call so many penalties that anyone can see aren't there?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 02:17 PM

211 posts, read 276,880 times
The popular dismissal is "everybody gets some bad calls" but the pertinent questions are "does everybody get their fair share of bad calls" and "are these bad calls seemingly related to Vegas odds". In my opinion the answer to the first is "no" and the answer to the second is "yes". Vegas had Carolina to beat New England, and they had New England to beat the Browns. In both cases there was a lot of money to have to make up for. I suspect that sometimes matches are also fixed for marketing purposes.

Ray Lewis' retirement and brothers in the Super Bowl were hard to swallow. Then when the 49ers were getting blown out the power went out and when it came back we saw a resurgent San Francisco team that made the game interesting and kept people tuned in to the big money advertisements.

I feel like it should be so obvious, and as much as I like to watch the game, I keep wondering where there isn't more discussion about this. Especially since local communities are affected financially by the game itself.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,662,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
The popular dismissal is "everybody gets some bad calls" but the pertinent questions are "does everybody get their fair share of bad calls" and "are these bad calls seemingly related to Vegas odds". In my opinion the answer to the first is "no" and the answer to the second is "yes". Vegas had Carolina to beat New England, and they had New England to beat the Browns. In both cases there was a lot of money to have to make up for. I suspect that sometimes matches are also fixed for marketing purposes.

Ray Lewis' retirement and brothers in the Super Bowl were hard to swallow. Then when the 49ers were getting blown out the power went out and when it came back we saw a resurgent San Francisco team that made the game interesting and kept people tuned in to the big money advertisements.

I feel like it should be so obvious, and as much as I like to watch the game, I keep wondering where there isn't more discussion about this. Especially since local communities are affected financially by the game itself.

Officiating has been worse that I can ever remember this year.

It's twice as bad for unpopular, losing teams like the Browns. The next time they are on the good side of one of these garbage calls that directly impacts the outcome of the game it will be the first time.

It's not the only reason they lost but it sure didn't help. I'm sure Pats fans would have felt the same way if it would have been them getting called for PI and the Browns getting the ball 1st and 10 on the 1 with 4 chances to get the ball to Gordon or Cameron.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,770,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's not a matter of degree. There was no interference by the Browns. There wasn't anything that could even be considered interference by any referee whose decisions aren't predetermined.

Carolina game was probably just as bad, I didn't see it. I also don't have to see it to know that it was not worse. The question to ask here isn't, "who is getting screwed worse," it's "why do NFL refs call so many penalties that anyone can see aren't there?"
outside of the year the replacement refs I don't remember a year in which there were this many complaints across the league on bad calls.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,161,555 times
Thanks to the Chargers, the Pats chances at the one seed have improved. One game at a time though, and with road games in Miami and Baltimore..........not gonna be easy. GO PATS!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Thanks to the Chargers, the Pats chances at the one seed have improved. One game at a time though, and with road games in Miami and Baltimore..........not gonna be easy. GO PATS!!!
what's necessary for Pats to get a #1 seed, another Denver loss and a Pats win?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
what's necessary for Pats to get a #1 seed, another Denver loss and a Pats win?
If the Patriots win their last 3 games, they will have the #1 seed in the AFC. They own the tiebreaker over Denver since they won their match up.

Last edited by TAM88; 12-14-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If the Patriots win their last 3 games, they will have the #1 seed in the AFC. They own the tiebreaker over Denver since they won their match up.
that's gonna be tough...they might actually lose to the dolphins today

Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM

14,600 posts, read 22,455,116 times
Good call. Not the usual outcome for Brady and company in December and against the Dolphins.

I saw someone thanking the Chargers for beating the Broncos. Well the playing field just got leveled again.

Came down to the last play though! What a game! In-division games can be tough late in the season.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Good call. Not the usual outcome for Brady and company in December and against the Dolphins.

I saw someone thanking the Chargers for beating the Broncos. Well the playing field just got leveled again.

Came down to the last play though! What a game! In-division games can be tough late in the season.
well it's just like last year - gronk is the difference maker, it's going to be tough without him. He would have gorilla-ed a catch in the endzone that Amendola got knocked away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or