U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times

Advertisements

Belicheck just mentioned at his press conference that the WElker hit on Talib was "One of the worst plays I've Seen!"

At the time of the play, I thought it was cheap but I also remember thinking that did'nt the Pats just run the same play on the previous drive and sure enough, i went back to my recording and discovered, yes they did...

It was the play where Cromartie got hurt on a hit by Edelman on a crossing route. There was a penalty on the play that took the Pats out of FG range but the penalty was not on Edelman but on the FB, #47... Jim Nance even mentioned that the penalty might be on the Edelman hit.

The big difference in the plays was that Welkers hit occurred while the ball was still in the air and Edelmans was after the receiver caught the ball. Some will say that is a huge difference... but in my opinion they were both cheap shots..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM

513 posts, read 573,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Belicheck just mentioned at his press conference that the WElker hit on Talib was "One of the worst plays I've Seen!"

At the time of the play, I thought it was cheap but I also remember thinking that did'nt the Pats just run the same play on the previous drive and sure enough, i went back to my recording and discovered, yes they did...

It was the play where Cromartie got hurt on a hit by Edelman on a crossing route. There was a penalty on the play that took the Pats out of FG range but the penalty was not on Edelman but on the FB, #47... Jim Nance even mentioned that the penalty might be on the Edelman hit.

The big difference in the plays was that Welkers hit occurred while the ball was still in the air and Edelmans was after the receiver caught the ball. Some will say that is a huge difference... but in my opinion they were both cheap shots..
They were both "technically" illegal, but even as a Pats fan I cannot support BB's stance. Patriots run those plays all the time. The only issue I have is the Pats were called for the penalty and DEN was not. I certainly do not think Wes's attention was to cheap shot Talib, his intention was to block him (although technically against the rules). I do not consider it a bad play though because all teams run those crossing "rub" plays, and the Patriots are one of the biggest offenders of those same sort of plays. I think the NFL just has to take a stance on the ruling and call it consistently

Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,156,765 times
Running game didn't show up and Brady was sacked many times. He also did not produce drives into scoring plays. Entire offense needs to take up responsibility to correct this.

As for our defense, Talib was out early, which is a huge blow.

Otherwise, Broncos have a phenomenal offense. Good running (Moreno & Ball) combined with good passing (The sheriff) is a great combo the Broncos have. Only way to beat them is strengthen our pass defense, and protect Brady better for big plays.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Other than Welker ran into Talib intentionally with a low crack block which locks the knees while the rest of the body is in motion - it's an AWFUL block imo. The NFL is so inconsistent on that (as you pointed out). Talib is the "Richard Sherman" of the AFC and taking him out early was a HUGE difference maker. No way Manning would have thrown on Talib like he did on Dennard. That's what has BB pissed. The game was no means a blow out and had we had Talib to keep the secondary in check, we could have established a running game but we got behind and had to play catch up in the air.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Other than Welker ran into Talib intentionally with a low crack block which locks the knees while the rest of the body is in motion - it's an AWFUL block imo. The NFL is so inconsistent on that (as you pointed out). Talib is the "Richard Sherman" of the AFC and taking him out early was a HUGE difference maker. No way Manning would have thrown on Talib like he did on Dennard. That's what has BB pissed. The game was no means a blow out and had we had Talib to keep the secondary in check, we could have established a running game but we got behind and had to play catch up in the air.

But Manning already had about 110 yds after the first qtr with Talib in the game. He was already on his way to a 400yd game.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM

109 posts, read 273,098 times
Denver O-line toyed with NE defense who could not get anywhere near Manning. Dude had 3-4 secs to throw each play. That also helped two drives totaling 15 minutes that broke NE's will. Brady missed a few open looks but with no INT, or no fumbles result could have been closer if he was on the field more. This is on Belichik and NE owners. Period. With no worthy backups to significant players, it is a miracle team got this far. It is also a testament to AFC's poor showing this year with the exception of Denver.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
Denver O-line toyed with NE defense who could not get anywhere near Manning. Dude had 3-4 secs to throw each play. That also helped two drives totaling 15 minutes that broke NE's will. Brady missed a few open looks but with no INT, or no fumbles result could have been closer if he was on the field more. This is on Belichik and NE owners. Period. With no worthy backups to significant players, it is a miracle team got this far. It is also a testament to AFC's poor showing this year with the exception of Denver.
The Patriots went 12-4, won their division and made it to the AFC Title Game. How is that in any way a poor season? New England was hit very hard with injuries this season and still achieved more than all but 2 teams this year. If that's not a testament to the coaching and overall depth of this team, then I don't know what is.

Since the Patriots have "no worthy backups to significant players" how were they able to achieve so much this year? What does that say about the other teams in the NFL that remained healthier and did not achieve as much?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM

113 posts, read 492,670 times
If the Patriots can get healthy, pick up a WR for Brady to throw to, they will give Denver a good run for there money next season. And we might just see another Pats/Broncs AFC champ game again.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM

109 posts, read 273,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Patriots went 12-4, won their division and made it to the AFC Title Game. How is that in any way a poor season? New England was hit very hard with injuries this season and still achieved more than all but 2 teams this year. If that's not a testament to the coaching and overall depth of this team, then I don't know what is.

Since the Patriots have "no worthy backups to significant players" how were they able to achieve so much this year? What does that say about the other teams in the NFL that remained healthier and did not achieve as much?
Trying to win games coming from behind kind of takes a toll on you. We did very good no doubt coming this far but we were a few additional good players away from super bowl. Sometimes you do have to pay a few extra dollars to keep a good player like Welker.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM

14,540 posts, read 22,406,075 times
I think that the Patriots could/can play with any of these other three teams from these Championship series... and then there's some 28 lesser teams that are golfing or fishing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or