U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM

535 posts, read 472,663 times

Advertisements

The O-Line has just been awful, they can't run, they can't throw...nothing.

Solder...formally the 17th overall pick in the draft has been getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Cannon...for some reason is being played at LG, even though he doesn't have the lateral speed to pull. He's pretty good at RT, maybe they should try swapping him and Solder, see if Solder can play Guard.

Connolly...He is what he is, and they should have known that for some time now. He is a backup quality Center/Guard at best.

Devey...He's been bad....but I really don't see a better option on the roster....Wendell? He is too small, that was shown in the AFC Championship last year.

Vollmer...Has played average at best, a guy that has a reputation as one of the best RTs in the game(and is being paid like it).

Brady, at 37, will not make it past mid-season if this continues. Belichick went a stretch of 3 or 4 years without drafting an O-Lineman and now it is biting him. Instead wasted high draft choices on guys like Tavon Wilson(2nd Round) and Jake Bequette(3rd Round). I think this can cause problems when the head coach is also the sole person in charge of personnel, they need a counterweight, like they had with Scott Pioli. Someone that will stand up and tell them that taking injury-plagued Ras-I Dowling with the #33 pick in the draft is not a smart move. Or that Tavon Wilson will likely be available to draft 2 or 3 rounds later. I won't say anything about Easley because he deserves a chance to prove himself...but am very skeptical about using a 1st round pick on a defensive lineman with two ACL tears in the last two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 AM

3,002 posts, read 3,158,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
The O-Line has just been awful, they can't run, they can't throw...nothing.

Solder...formally the 17th overall pick in the draft has been getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Cannon...for some reason is being played at LG, even though he doesn't have the lateral speed to pull. He's pretty good at RT, maybe they should try swapping him and Solder, see if Solder can play Guard.

Connolly...He is what he is, and they should have known that for some time now. He is a backup quality Center/Guard at best.

Devey...He's been bad....but I really don't see a better option on the roster....Wendell? He is too small, that was shown in the AFC Championship last year.

Vollmer...Has played average at best, a guy that has a reputation as one of the best RTs in the game(and is being paid like it).

Brady, at 37, will not make it past mid-season if this continues. Belichick went a stretch of 3 or 4 years without drafting an O-Lineman and now it is biting him. Instead wasted high draft choices on guys like Tavon Wilson(2nd Round) and Jake Bequette(3rd Round). I think this can cause problems when the head coach is also the sole person in charge of personnel, they need a counterweight, like they had with Scott Pioli. Someone that will stand up and tell them that taking injury-plagued Ras-I Dowling with the #33 pick in the draft is not a smart move. Or that Tavon Wilson will likely be available to draft 2 or 3 rounds later. I won't say anything about Easley because he deserves a chance to prove himself...but am very skeptical about using a 1st round pick on a defensive lineman with two ACL tears in the last two years.
Yep.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 AM

Well, will see if the O-line can do their job tonight. I expect it to be a close one..............flip a coin on the outcome perhaps.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM

535 posts, read 472,663 times
If I was the Offensive Coordinator tonight, this is the way I would run it:

Two TEs: Gronk and Wright. Two backs, Ridley/Bolden and Vereen. Edelman is the lone WR, occasionally getting subbed out for Dobson.

So many options with this set, too hard for the Chiefs to predict. They can run in up the gut with Ridley, run draws and screens with Vereen, Gronk can block on runs or go out on patterns. Call a bunch of runs/short passes then bring Dobson out. Send him on a deep post, if the defense goes with him, hit Vereen or Wright on a short pattern, If they try to take Dobson one on one, try a long ball to keep them honest and uncrowd the middle.

If there's one game where we need to shackles on Gronk loosened it's this one, to help keep that stout run defense/pass rush of the Chiefs off-balance. Another advantage to this offense is minimal subbing and having mostly experienced players on the field will let you run no-huddle. Catch them in a light defense? Slam it at them over and over. Catch them with their fat guys on the field? Make them chase Gronk, Wright, Edelman, and Vereen around.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,885,461 times
Didn't Brady take less contract money a few years back, so the organization could keep good players.

If there was an example to get as much as you can, while you can, this is it. The Pats have screwed Brady in terms of giving him talent to work with the last few years...and where did they use it? The defense doesn't look that good. He cant carry an average team deep in the playoffs anymore. No separation by receivers...who have iffy hands (finding slow white guys with good mitts shouldn't be an issue). Suspect O-line play and limited RB ability. Your GM or personnel guy should be fired.

Then again I think Brady made many coaches/players a lot of money. He made Belichek, Weis, etc. Much like Elway made Shanahan. The organization owes Brady a lot.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 AM

Pats are in a bad spot right now, that much is for certain. Thought it interesting when Dilfer mentioned last night that the Pats organization is in it just to make the tournament and not championships.......just in it to sell more seats. Not sure I agree with that statement, but they surely have not helped out Brady much with surrounding talent lately. Cincy up next, that could be pretty bad as well. Buckle up fellow Pats fans......could be a llloooonnnnggggg season. We have been spoiled though for the last 13 or so years.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM

689 posts, read 338,483 times
Wow last night shocked me. I knew the pats were in trouble but I would never thought they would get blown out by KC or anybody else....yes I can see them loosing but blown out..no way.

Wow the AFC east seems like its up for grabs and everybody has at least 2 losses. Brady was benched last night, EJ Manual being replaced by Kyle Orton, talks about Tannehill getting benched and Geno Smith not playing so well...wow.

I normally root for the Pats when the Boys fail but its shocking to see Pats like this. Their management and coach should've had some good weapons for Brady to work with. Their O line has regressed too. Hope things get better foe them with the exception of when they play the Boys.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,512,204 times
The guys on ESPN were saying after the game the Pats are a bad team, not just that they played a bad game. Are they really falling apart that quickly? This is the first game of theirs I've watched this year.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
What division is playing worse now? AFC East or NFC South?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,621,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Didn't Brady take less contract money a few years back, so the organization could keep good players.

If there was an example to get as much as you can, while you can, this is it. The Pats have screwed Brady in terms of giving him talent to work with the last few years...and where did they use it? The defense doesn't look that good. He cant carry an average team deep in the playoffs anymore. No separation by receivers...who have iffy hands (finding slow white guys with good mitts shouldn't be an issue). Suspect O-line play and limited RB ability. Your GM or personnel guy should be fired.

Then again I think Brady made many coaches/players a lot of money. He made Belichek, Weis, etc. Much like Elway made Shanahan. The organization owes Brady a lot.
I agree completely. Last night was just sad. Honestly it looked like poor Brady could not get anything done, only he and Edleman looked like they were even trying on offence and on D we only had Chandler Jones attempting to do anything and Mathew Slater is still on of the hardest working people on the team.
Brady has taken paycut after paycut for NOTHING! They can't keep good players and they won't spend money to get good players. It is not fair to him. He has made the organization far too much money for him and this is how they repay him? With no O-line and barely anyone to throw to. I'll never stop being a Pats fan but the people that run this team are really pissing me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or