U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,212,757 times

Advertisements

Not a Pats fan (Vikings fan) but have always been a fan of Tom Brady. I'll be pulling for you guys, hopefully Brady can get his 4th ring this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 PM

626 posts, read 768,485 times
I'm not a Patriots fan either. I'm actually a Chiefs fan. But I hope Tom Brady gets his fourth super bowl ring this time around, especially after what happened the last two super bowls. Brady truly deserves a fourth super bowl win.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,811,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Brady truly deserves a fourth super bowl win.

deserves???? his team has to win it. Nobody deserves a 4th SB ring....you earn it.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,811,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I posted this in the Seahawks forum too:

Should be a great game. Seahawks showed incredible resiliency today. But it seems each year you feel a team is destined to win it all. It feels like the Patriots year this year, but they have a gigantic road block in front of them.

In general, I think the gap between the Pats offense vs the Hawks defense is wider than the gap between the Hawks offense and Pats defense. I think the Pats offense can do more damage as I think the Pats defense is playing as well as the Hawks right now, but the Pats offense looks better than the Hawks.

But, that's just conjecture on my part. In two weeks from tonight we'll have the truth.

based on what? the Colts game?.....Colts are 1 dimensional with a soft defense, they can't stop the run or the pass.

If you want a preview of the SUPER BOWL, just look at the PATS/RAVENS game....and add that the Hawks have the #1 pass defense in the league while the Ravens have the #23 pass defense (sucks).....Both the Hawks and Ravens are rank #3 and #4 on run defense and Pats could only rush for 17 yards against the Ravens.....I don't see the Pats running on the Hawks, making Brady 1 dimensional and force him to throw against the #1 pass defense in the NFL, which plays into the Hawks advantage.

Ravens are the closest thing in the AFC to a NFC physical style football and Ravens scored 31 points on the Pats and almost beat them, ONLY if the Ravens had a better secondary defense and good cornerbacks, Ravens would be in the SB instead of the Pats. Forsett rushed for 129 yards (Forsett is NO Lynch) and Flacco had 4 TD's.

Wilson better than Flacco.

Seahawks have the edge.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 AM

6,552 posts, read 3,514,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
based on what? the Colts game?.....Colts are 1 dimensional with a soft defense, they can't stop the run or the pass.

If you want a preview of the SUPER BOWL, just look at the PATS/RAVENS game....and add that the Hawks have the #1 pass defense in the league while the Ravens have the #23 pass defense (sucks).....Both the Hawks and Ravens are rank #3 and #4 on run defense and Pats could only rush for 17 yards against the Ravens.....I don't see the Pats running on the Hawks, making Brady 1 dimensional and force him to throw against the #1 pass defense in the NFL, which plays into the Hawks advantage.

Ravens are the closest thing in the AFC to a NFC physical style football and Ravens scored 31 points on the Pats and almost beat them, ONLY if the Ravens had a better secondary defense and good cornerbacks, Ravens would be in the SB instead of the Pats. Forsett rushed for 129 yards (Forsett is NO Lynch) and Flacco had 4 TD's.

Wilson better than Flacco.

Seahawks have the edge.
Not based on the Colts game. And no based on the Ravens game.

The Pats like the Seahawks find a way to win regardless of who they are playing.

The Pats defense, regardless of stats, are a lot better than most people give them credit for. The difference between the Hawks and Pats defense is where the Hawks just shut it down, the Pats for whatever reason allow teams to play within the 20's but still keep teams from getting TD's more often then not. So stats wise the Pats always give up quite a bit of yards, but they generally clamp down and allow only field goals. I think the Pats defense matches up well against Seattle's offense, so if Seattle's defense does rattle Brady often I think the Pats defense can also keep points off the board.

The Pats offense overall is more explosive than Seattle's because they've proven over time they can win with or without a running game. Blount can be Lynch's equalizer (not as consistent as Lynch), and the receiving corp of the Pats is better then Seattle's. Yes Wilson can beat you with his legs unlike Brady who would take 2 minutes to run down field. One thing though is Seattle will not be fooled by all the Pats scheming, as Seattle just sits in their defense at the line at doesn't panic with movement. I still think the Pats can put up 20 or more points on the board. Even against the Colts Brady was off on quite a few of his throws, and they still put up 45.

Coaching seems fairly equal. Belichick has been toasted twice by Tom Coughlin, and maybe Pete Carroll does the same, but we won't know until the end of the game.

The Pats unlike the past decade have things going for them they haven't. For one they are relatively healthy. In the last two AFC Championships, Gronk and Talib were both out. This is the most balanced Pats team I've seen since their last Super Bowl win. Plus Brady has been playing a lot different then in years past. Maybe it's his age, but he seems to have a determined calmness about him. In the past few years when getting this deep, he's played nervous.

If Seattle turns over the ball like they did against GB, I think the Pats will do more damage. But that goes both ways. Both teams need to protect the ball. I don't envision a blow out like last year. I think the Pats are much better then last year's Denver team. The intangible feeling I have is this is the first time in a decade I have felt this really is the Pats years. In recent playoffs I've been saying how the hell have the Pats gotten this far. Not this year - they deserved and earned it.

I honestly feel the Pats have the edge in this one, even if just slightly. But that just might be the homer in me. Hey, I'm a Pats fan. What can I say.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,525,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I posted this in the Seahawks forum too:

Should be a great game. Seahawks showed incredible resiliency today. But it seems each year you feel a team is destined to win it all. It feels like the Patriots year this year, but they have a gigantic road block in front of them.

In general, I think the gap between the Pats offense vs the Hawks defense is wider than the gap between the Hawks offense and Pats defense. I think the Pats offense can do more damage as I think the Pats defense is playing as well as the Hawks right now, but the Pats offense looks better than the Hawks.

But, that's just conjecture on my part. In two weeks from tonight we'll have the truth.
How do the Pats feel like a team of destiny? If they win, people will certainly think of ways to explain that destiny, but they rolled through the regular season like they always do, beat a team with no secondary, and had a cheap win over a crappy team in the AFCCG. On the other hand, the Seahawks were 3-3 and 6-4 and tons of people thought they were done, went on a historic run down the stretch defensively, had a relatively cheap win in the playoffs, then one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen in the NFCCG. People will be counting them out because Brady is on the other side, and they'll be happy to prove people wrong again.

As far as Wilson vs. Flacco, Wilson is better at scrambling, avoiding the sack, and making big plays. Flacco is a better passer. If Flacco were on the Patriots, the guys on TV would have been praising him all day last week, talking about how he's an equal opportunity passer and making magical throw after magical throw after magical throw against a "great" defense.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:55 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,525,121 times
Oh, and RE: destiny, go watch NFL network shows about the 2013 Seahawks, and you'll see what a big deal they made about quickly falling behind 10-0 to a great SF team at home, yet they pulled it together and came back. This is an even bigger story, coming back from 16-0. They also showed Sherman firing up the defense when they fell behind, and that'll make some nice footage for NFL network programming this year. Now which team is actually the team of destiny obviously depends on the result of the SB, but I see a better story in Seattle's season. All I see in NE's season is one bad loss and the fact that they beat a bunch of pretty good teams down the stretch. Still, against really good teams (Denver and GB), they went 1-1.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM

6,552 posts, read 3,514,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
How do the Pats feel like a team of destiny? If they win, people will certainly think of ways to explain that destiny, but they rolled through the regular season like they always do, beat a team with no secondary, and had a cheap win over a crappy team in the AFCCG. On the other hand, the Seahawks were 3-3 and 6-4 and tons of people thought they were done, went on a historic run down the stretch defensively, had a relatively cheap win in the playoffs, then one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen in the NFCCG. People will be counting them out because Brady is on the other side, and they'll be happy to prove people wrong again.

As far as Wilson vs. Flacco, Wilson is better at scrambling, avoiding the sack, and making big plays. Flacco is a better passer. If Flacco were on the Patriots, the guys on TV would have been praising him all day last week, talking about how he's an equal opportunity passer and making magical throw after magical throw after magical throw against a "great" defense.
Quote:
Oh, and RE: destiny, go watch NFL network shows about the 2013 Seahawks, and you'll see what a big deal they made about quickly falling behind 10-0 to a great SF team at home, yet they pulled it together and came back. This is an even bigger story, coming back from 16-0. They also showed Sherman firing up the defense when they fell behind, and that'll make some nice footage for NFL network programming this year. Now which team is actually the team of destiny obviously depends on the result of the SB, but I see a better story in Seattle's season. All I see in NE's season is one bad loss and the fact that they beat a bunch of pretty good teams down the stretch. Still, against really good teams (Denver and GB), they went 1-1.
I know the destiny stuff is BS - just having fun as a fan. Watching Brady this year, and spending the past decade listening to all the hating and legacy BS is tiring. What Brady has accomplished in his career is pretty unheralded, boosted by parity. 9 AFC Championship games in 14 years going 6-3 in those games. 6th SB appearance. He really doesn't need a 4th SB ring to shut the rest of the world up, but he and the team are playing as such. Haters hate winners because their team isn't winning, and the consistency of the Patriots is nothing short of amazing, again, breaking all these records in the era of parity and free agency.

So destiny BS is fun for me, and this year unlike the past decade I actually feel confident about this team winning instead of just being surprised they are actually there. And, to be the best you have to beat the best. Right now as defending SB champions, Seattle is the best. Seems like a magical setup to me. At least one can dream and hope. Regardless, the two best teams from their conferences are playing in the SB, so I think it should be a good one.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,908,177 times
Quote:

Please explain how the win was a cheap one for the Patriots. I would also not call Indianapolis a crappy team.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 3,991,663 times
I gotta say that there were a lot of doubters this year amongst the media in regards to the O line and D line.....the lack of seasoned vets I believe we heard.

This team to me is the real deal as they continue to win with not just one superstar but a complete team full of players that all make a difference. As the stats showed last night.....every month of this season saw a different leader in yardage. Last night Gronk was playing the position of decoy and the team excelled without putting the ball in his hands 100%

Coach B continues to find obscure or unappreciated players that make a difference and to make plays.

With Tom's age this might be the all or nothing year for him!

I am hoping for a close knock down drag out battle of wits against Seattle!

Gotta say with the way Coach B carried out plays and fed to different players this season the Hawks are going to have a lot of game film to watch with not much consistency week to week!

On another note......watching the surgical destruction of the Broncos by the Colts, I certainly expected last nights game to be hard fought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or