U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 05:14 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,295,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Kearse caught that magical catch- butler was on him,,,he stated he felt it was him that let the team down because Kearse caught the ball- so the pressure of the world is on him

now I think butler a rookie- was "in" because Arrington got burnt a couple times??

but this is my point,,,
after the huge and amazing catch by Kearse- the pats did not pull butler
Why would they pull him? He did exactly what he was supposed to do on the play - he broke up the pass. That it popped straight up, and then landed on and bounced off the receivers thighs and right into the air above the astonished receiver, wasn't Butler's fault - it was just a fluke.

Quote:
and butler took one hell of a chance going for the catch and not batting the ball away- because if butler didn't catch it the receiver would have easily scored- butler took one hell of a risk doing this, they must have seen the exact same play on film - he executed this perfectly,,, the receiver didn't even know he was there
Risk? Not at all.

If Butler had played the play safe and not gone for the ball and made sure he tackled the receiver, that would have left the Seahawks with 3rd and goal from the 1 with about 20 seconds left after they burned their last timeout, thereby assuring they could run two more plays (assuming the first would be another pass, this time into the end zone in order to assure another play after that if they didn't score). In that case, the odds are probably somewhere around 75% that the Seahawks score on one of the two plays and win the game.

Playing it safe for that play would not have been playing it safe for the game. Essentially, passing up a good shot at an interception (all but clinching a Patriots win) in order to guarantee holding the receiver at the 1 (likely resulting in a Seahawks touchdown on one of the two subsequent plays) would have been foolish in the extreme.

Butler made a fantastic read and executed the play perfectly. But it wasn't a risk - it was a no-brainer with very little downside and considerable.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Patriots side note:

Has any other quarterback in NFL history had a winning record as a starter for 13 consecutive seasons?

Tom Brady has had a winning record every year he was the full-time starter, from his 14 starts in 2001 to his 16 starts from 2002-2006 and 2008-2014. He did not start a game in his rookie season of 2000. (Technically, his winning-seasons streak is 14 seasons, but I'm not counting his 1-0 record from 2008 when he left the first game of the season in the first quarter.)

I looked up Joe Montana, Roger Staubach and Terry Bradshaw, the only quarterbacks I could think of who might have challenged the mark.

Montana had winning records in ten consecutive seasons as a full-time starter over the last eleven seasons of his career (he started no games in 1992 due to injury).

Staubach was 8-0 in seasons as a full-time starting quarterback. He also had winning records in two more seasons in which he only started one and three games, respectively. I would guess Staubach has the longest stretch of consecutive winning seasons by a starting quarterback who retired without ever having a losing or even a .500 season.

I checked Bradshaw, too - no dice. He had 12 consecutive non-losing seasons starting, but one season he went .500, another season he only started half the games, and his last season he was only 1-0.

It's a damn impressive achievement by Brady, and if he retires without ever posting a losing season as a starter (and right now I'd say the odds of him doing just that are very good) it will be quite an addition to his legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
At this point, I really don't care what former players, or current players have to say about the Patriots. They won the title and I could not be happier.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,771,653 times
A great compilation of the second half...

The emotional swing is very apparent - the Pats overall though even during the low points still had resolve and played hard - they didn't give up. Edelman is awesome. If you listen to him, he is playing with heart - almost like it's the 4th quarter of a your last game in High School. I was particularly moved by the "I Love you man..." to all the guys in the offense huddle on that last Pats touchdown drive. I'm not gonna get tired of watch these clips over and over and over and over...

PATS RULE!!!!!

'Inside the NFL': Super Bowl second-half highlights - NFL Videos

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Rice admits to “illegal” use of stickum | ProFootballTalk

Pretty interesting considering Rice came right out during the media firestorm and called the Patriots cheaters and said if the Patriots won the Super Bowl, you'd have to put an asterisk next to them.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM

22,911 posts, read 19,356,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Pretty interesting considering Rice came right out during the media firestorm and called the Patriots cheaters and said if the Patriots won the Super Bowl, you'd have to put an asterisk next to them.
I am, to say the least, a little disappointed in learning this about Rice.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,761,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Guys like Rice have opened a can of worms by getting into the Brady/Belichick hate-fest.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,912,895 times
I think Gooddell owes the Patriots a public apology.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:34 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,295,545 times
A very interesting article:
http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/2/7/7994985/tom-brady-is-the-most-successful-gunslinger-in-history

Basically, it points out that:
*Tom Brady has more starts in which he throws 50+ passes than any other player in NFL history.
*Of players with at least 100 career starts, he has a higher percentage of games in which he throws 50+ passes than anyone else.
*Unlike with most QBs, where throwing 50+ passes is likely a sign of a team losing a game - most QBs lost the majority of the games where they threw that many passes - Brady has won over two-thirds of such games.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 3,472,918 times
The NFL better come out with their report soon. More conspiracy theories abound.

New Deflategate theory: Colts deflated ball after Jackson’s pick | ProFootballTalk

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/0...nned-from-nfl/

I like these

Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM

22,911 posts, read 19,356,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Great articles! TY for posting them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or