Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Belichick and Brady teams just don't lose after Thanksgiving, ever
Did you watch the Packers vs Patriots game last year after Thanksgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
I don't think the Patriots will go undefeated. And I can't pick which game(s) they may lose, but I suspect two.

At this point I will attribute potential losses due to some injuries in very key areas already with who knows what else down the line. Lewis and Edelman are huge, and what illness/virus does Collins have? Edelman had over 100 more targets than Gronk before his injury. Amendola can be an Edelman look alike, maybe 75% as effective. We can only hope James White and Boulden can possibly combine to do maybe 50% of what Lewis was doing. The O-Line at some point will not hold up for periods of time with all the injuries and some team may figure out how to get to Brady enough times to affect the offense that is missing two key components. And now other teams can key more on Gronk without Edelman and Lewis in the game, potentially taking yet another target away.

But truthfully, who cares about an undefeated season? Sure, would love homefield advantage throughout, and the Bengals need to slip up this 2nd half of the season somehow. But unless a collapse like the current Packers and Broncos are in the mist of happens to us, I can't see us losing the 4 game advantage in the division. With Denver potentially losing more, even if the Bengals have the best record we'd be in 2nd.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
and what illness/virus does Collins have?

I've heard two rumours, one mono, the other mrsa. MRSA would be horrific.

But I agree, too many key injuries to go undefeated and I now have no hopes for a SB.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I don't think the Patriots will go undefeated. And I can't pick which game(s) they may lose, but I suspect two.

At this point I will attribute potential losses due to some injuries in very key areas already with who knows what else down the line. Lewis and Edelman are huge, and what illness/virus does Collins have? Edelman had over 100 more targets than Gronk before his injury. Amendola can be an Edelman look alike, maybe 75% as effective. We can only hope James White and Boulden can possibly combine to do maybe 50% of what Lewis was doing. The O-Line at some point will not hold up for periods of time with all the injuries and some team may figure out how to get to Brady enough times to affect the offense that is missing two key components. And now other teams can key more on Gronk without Edelman and Lewis in the game, potentially taking yet another target away.

But truthfully, who cares about an undefeated season? Sure, would love homefield advantage throughout, and the Bengals need to slip up this 2nd half of the season somehow. But unless a collapse like the current Packers and Broncos are in the mist of happens to us, I can't see us losing the 4 game advantage in the division. With Denver potentially losing more, even if the Bengals have the best record we'd be in 2nd.
The Bengals will likely lose to Arizona. And possibly to Pittsburgh and/or Denver. I don't think the #1 seed is in jeopardy for the Pats. I agree they will lose 1-2 games though. I would have picked Denver, but who knows what's going on with Manning. Maybe Philly and/or NYJ.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've heard two rumours, one mono, the other mrsa. MRSA would be horrific.

But I agree, too many key injuries to go undefeated and I now have no hopes for a SB.
No hopes for a SB???

Wow...

Way to hang in there as a fan of the best team in the NFL....

Guess they should just forfeit the rest of the season

No team is perfect, even with the injuries Pats are still the best team in the AFC and the only real threat in the NFC is the Panthers.....

As for Collins, MRSA isn't a virus and it isn't "horrific"....mono is worse for a football player than MRSA which doesn't make a healthy person sick enough to miss football and would mean a skin infection not a systemic illness

Old 11-18-2015, 12:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
No hopes for a SB???

Wow...

Way to hang in there as a fan of the best team in the NFL....

Guess they should just forfeit the rest of the season

No team is perfect, even with the injuries Pats are still the best team in the AFC and the only real threat in the NFC is the Panthers.....

As for Collins, MRSA isn't a virus and it isn't "horrific"....mono is worse for a football player than MRSA which doesn't make a healthy person sick enough to miss football and would mean a skin infection not a systemic illness

Did I say they should forfeit the season? No.

MRSA does cause people to miss games and actually has ended careers. Multiple times. I never said it was a virus. It is not just a run of the mill skin infection. It is worse than mono in this situation.

Tell the people that lost their careers and ended up in ICUs to MRSA that it isn't horrific.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:

How many meaningful games have the Packers won after Thanksgiving lately???

R-E-L-A-X you won't have to sweat out many post season games this season...one and done....
At least 2 but this is the pats thread so let's stick to them. I just corrected your point that the pats have never lost a game after thanksgiving. I only had to go back to last season to show you that they can lose in that time frame. It doesn't matter who the opponent was or will be.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Did I say they should forfeit the season? No.

MRSA does cause people to miss games and actually has ended careers. Multiple times. I never said it was a virus. It is not just a run of the mill skin infection. It is worse than mono in this situation.

Tell the people that lost their careers and ended up in ICUs to MRSA that it isn't horrific.
You said, and I quote, "I now have no hopes for a SB"

A 9-0 team, consensus #1 team in the NFL since week 1, and you have no hopes for a SB

As for the rumors you have heard regarding Jamie Collins

1. Mono highly unlikely, mean age of typical patient is 16 and if he DID have Mono average return to contact sports is 2-6 months due to risk of splenic injury. Adults almost never contract the disease because almost all of us have been exposed at some point and developed immunity.

2. MRSA is ubiquitous in locker rooms everywhere in this country and 99% of the time it is "just a skin infection" and almost no one gets systemically ill or misses time from sports. Staph skin infections have been around forever, MRSA is only worse because of its resistance to common antibiotics but not all antibiotics...

So Mono would be worse than MRSA in this situation....

The far more likely choice is C: None of the above

I highly doubt Collins had either condition as reports have him likely to return this week...

Old 11-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
At least 2 but this is the pats thread so let's stick to them. I just corrected your point that the pats have never lost a game after thanksgiving. I only had to go back to last season to show you that they can lose in that time frame. It doesn't matter who the opponent was or will be.
Ok, Mr Literal....

I was pointing out to a fellow Pats fan that the likelihood of the Pats losing 3 games out of the final 7 is highly unlikely...

The Patriots are 52-9 in games played after Thanksgiving since Belichick took over as coach....best record in NFL history...9 losses in 15 years, unlikely a team as good as this one is losing 3 after Thanksgiving

mod edit-one sentence deleted

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-05-2015 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Brady and the Pats are going to have a tougher time without Edelmann and Amendola has stepped up and is playing very well but he can't be the go to guy all the time because he will get pounded.

Wes Welker is back (I don't want to watch) but if Edelmann was hurt last week when Welker announced his return before he was snatched up do you think the patriots would have grabbed him??
Brady and Welker do play well together.

GO PATS! They will find a way to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football