U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 AM

6,470 posts, read 3,470,025 times

Advertisements

I am a little worried about the Patriots in the playoffs. Once there it's one and done, with no room for error. My concerns are most definitely about injuries. Can Edelman just pick up where he left off? Will they be healthy, and for those who have missed games, will their timing be off?

It's weird, because the three 9-5 teams scare me the most, especially the Steelers. We'll see how the Pats do against the Jets in NY, as that will be a good indicator as to where we are. The Chiefs are hot. Those Steelers are downright scary on offense. But, it appears that the Patriots key to victory is their defense. Hopefully Chung and Hightower will be ready come the playoffs.

I'm still dreaming of a Panthers (undefeated) and Patriots Super Bowl, so we can exact revenge on an undefeated season the way the Giants did to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:12 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
The 9-5 teams definitely look like the healthiest. And they have good winning streaks compared to the division leaders.

Will be an interesting playoffs.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Now that was an atypical performance by the Patriots. But here's my "theory" on the game.

Two points tied together is what I am basing my judgment on. For on you have the Pats getting the ball with 1:57 left in the first half and 2 timeouts. They let the half end with no concerted effort to go down the field for at least 3 points. And then there's the coin toss in OT. Belichick said it was his call, but we'll probably never know if Slater screwed up and Bill is covering, or if it was in fact the decision made.

At this point I think Belichick has no trust in the offense. He was conservative in the first half ending not to give the ball back to the Jets by not risking a turnover. Then, thinking in OT the Pats would stop the Jets, get the ball back, and only need a FG to win. Well, we certainly know how that ended up with the defense failing miserably and allowing the Jets to score the TD.

I'm sorry but I don't care how the offense looked, nor do I care the defense was ranked #6 I think. Never, EVER, take the ball out of the hands of a player like Tom Brady when winning is on the line. He isn't just any QB. He gives us the best chance to win anytime he has the ball, and even if they only got a FG in OT, it still would have meant the D needed to stop the Jets.

Bill out coached himself I think.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Now that was an atypical performance by the Patriots. But here's my "theory" on the game.

Two points tied together is what I am basing my judgment on. For on you have the Pats getting the ball with 1:57 left in the first half and 2 timeouts. They let the half end with no concerted effort to go down the field for at least 3 points. And then there's the coin toss in OT. Belichick said it was his call, but we'll probably never know if Slater screwed up and Bill is covering, or if it was in fact the decision made.

At this point I think Belichick has no trust in the offense. He was conservative in the first half ending not to give the ball back to the Jets by not risking a turnover. Then, thinking in OT the Pats would stop the Jets, get the ball back, and only need a FG to win. Well, we certainly know how that ended up with the defense failing miserably and allowing the Jets to score the TD.

I'm sorry but I don't care how the offense looked, nor do I care the defense was ranked #6 I think. Never, EVER, take the ball out of the hands of a player like Tom Brady when winning is on the line. He isn't just any QB. He gives us the best chance to win anytime he has the ball, and even if they only got a FG in OT, it still would have meant the D needed to stop the Jets.

Bill out coached himself I think.
Several corrections...

We do in fact "know" that the coin flip call was BB's. It has been reported by multiple sources that BB told the ref before the captain's went out for the toss that if Pat's won the toss they would kick off. The ref came over to BB after the toss and asked BB if he got what he wanted and BB said yes absolutely. The ref has confirmed that all this took place before the toss....

The apparent "confusion" after the toss had to do with choosing which direction to kick, Slater thought he would be able to pick but because of how he worded his choice, the direction choice went to NY.

The end of the first half was in keeping with how the game went, it was a field position affair. The Jets D is one of the best in the league, while the Pats got an initial first down on a Bolden run the next 2 downs were for negligible yardage and with no targets to throw to and a very leaky O Line the Pats chose not to risk the field position battle giving the Jets the ball back with time to score...

As for the OT decision I was originally in agreement with you but with everything I have read and heard since I understand Belichick's decision and the judgement was sound but the execution was faulty....

There is no guarantee it would have worked the other way and facing the exact same decision one month ago against a similarly good Bronco's D, Belichick took the ball to begin OT, Pats went 3 and out, Denver got great field position and took a short drive for game winning FG.

BB was unconventional but that is why he is the best in the business, he doesn't always take the "easy" choice knowing even though had they lost after taking the ball there would have been NO criticism of the decision. I think he made a great decision, unfortunately the D let him down.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,161,555 times
Well, not riding on momentum heading into the playoffs that's for sure. Almost seemed they played not to get hurt today.....in Bill I trust.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,908,483 times
Pats screwed a lot of bettors and fans today. Hope it comes back to bite them in the Championship game being played in Denver.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:11 PM

Mixed emotions about today.

On the one hand, there are those that say the Pats were in protective mode. It's as if they were less interesting in winning and more interested in not getting anyone else hurt. And that Suh hit on Brady hit was nasty, and entirely legal (Suh was getting face masked at the time). Really lucky if he's honestly not hurt.

On the other hand, there are those who say the Pats injuries have caught up to them, and this is about what you get.

It seemed in the first half all the team cared about was running reps. Get Jackson involved a bit, and just pound the ball away. But what was surprising was after all of those runs they never really moved to play action. They really didn't appear to have a winning gameplan in place.

So we might have to play in Denver unless they get knocked off first. But rarely does a team limp into the playoffs like the Pats have, going 2-4 and looking lackluster on both sides of the ball, and flipped a switch. It takes a few games. Edelman coming back (if he does) is too little too late. He will not be at his best with timing and speed, and he's a risk to drop or tip/interception a ball at a critical time. That risk is high in the slot game. I believe right now we are primed to go one and done.

Denver hasn't looked world killer even with their #1 seed. If Dalton plays next week, will he be healthy, and if not, is McCarron ready? Pittsburgh with all of those weapons has struggled mightily. Houston is that anomaly team. Not sure what they are capable of. Right now, Kansas City has powered their way into the playoffs. They are by far playing the best ball in the AFC. Not sure if any team can bring them down.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,687,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Pats screwed a lot of bettors and fans today. Hope it comes back to bite them in the Championship game being played in Denver.
One cannot be bitter about betting ON the Patriots. The team has made fans a boatload of money in the past .

Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Mixed emotions about today.

On the one hand, there are those that say the Pats were in protective mode. It's as if they were less interesting in winning and more interested in not getting anyone else hurt. And that Suh hit on Brady hit was nasty, and entirely legal (Suh was getting face masked at the time). Really lucky if he's honestly not hurt.

On the other hand, there are those who say the Pats injuries have caught up to them, and this is about what you get.

It seemed in the first half all the team cared about was running reps. Get Jackson involved a bit, and just pound the ball away. But what was surprising was after all of those runs they never really moved to play action. They really didn't appear to have a winning gameplan in place.

So we might have to play in Denver unless they get knocked off first. But rarely does a team limp into the playoffs like the Pats have, going 2-4 and looking lackluster on both sides of the ball, and flipped a switch. It takes a few games. Edelman coming back (if he does) is too little too late. He will not be at his best with timing and speed, and he's a risk to drop or tip/interception a ball at a critical time. That risk is high in the slot game. I believe right now we are primed to go one and done.

Denver hasn't looked world killer even with their #1 seed. If Dalton plays next week, will he be healthy, and if not, is McCarron ready? Pittsburgh with all of those weapons has struggled mightily. Houston is that anomaly team. Not sure what they are capable of. Right now, Kansas City has powered their way into the playoffs. They are by far playing the best ball in the AFC. Not sure if any team can bring them down.
I take the opposite view, I didn't like the game plan yesterday either but they just didn't have the weapons for the passing game...

Edelman will be back, he would have been IR'd otherwise, and he has been practicing for several weeks now, I have no worries about his timing or effectiveness with Brady. He didn't need several games at the beginning of the season to get going...they will also have Amendola back, Gronk gets to rest up his knee for a couple of weeks and Vollmer is likely back to solidify the O line..

Defense should everyone including Hightower back...

Many writers feel Pats have easiest road to SB in the AFC and I agree, the loss may help them in the end since they won't have to face Steelers unless its at home in the AFC Championship...Denver likely gets Steelers which is a bad matchup for them..

As for KC, lets not go overboard yes they won 10 in a row...they also beat only 2 teams with winning records during that streak....they are no powerhouse....they barely beat the Browns and Raiders the last 2 weeks....I think KC will be lucky to get by Texans and if they do I have no doubt Pats beat them at home..

Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As for KC, lets not go overboard yes they won 10 in a row...they also beat only 2 teams with winning records during that streak....they are no powerhouse....they barely beat the Browns and Raiders the last 2 weeks....I think KC will be lucky to get by Texans and if they do I have no doubt Pats beat them at home..
Only two teams with winning records? Is that supposed to be bad?

Lets take a look at the last 10 games of the other 5 playoff teams:

Denver- 3 wins
Pats- 2 wins
Steelers- 2 wins
Texans- 2 wins
Bengals- 1 win

I believe K.C. is a dangerous team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or