U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 10:57 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,410,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
My uncle and cousin made the trip out to Arrowhead last season (the last NFL stadium they had not visited) and had to endure a ton of harassment from Chief fans. One woman got in the Uncle's face and told him to go f himself for wearing a Brady jersey.

Needless to say, stuff like this happens ALL of the time. I've gone into opposing teams' stadiums wearing Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins/Celtics gear and have been harassed. I expect and know it will happen, it comes with the territory.
Yea, I think the bigger issue is they were in the upper deck where fans are much more rowdy. I know they are at Arrowhead anyway. It seems like the demographics are a bit different and people get more drunk up in the upper decks and cheaper seats.

I have not been to many NFL games as an opposing fan. I have been to nearly all the MLB stadiums in Royals gear (including Fenway), but MLB fans are a little more civilized IMO (other than Red Sox/Yankees etc). We did watch the Chiefs play in Baltimore this year (lower deck) and the fans were fine. However, if the Ravens were playing better and we were in the upper deck, things might have been different.

I agree, I'm sure this happens in all stadiums. I was just a bit surprised that they got so much trouble considering one of them was a Pats fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
I think Yankees fans are pretty tame actually. The ones who travel are obnoxious a lot of the time, but I've watched plenty of home playoff games on TV, and the fans were just dead silent, even when they were winning. It's crazy. In Baltimore, Ravens fans are usually reasonable (at least in the lower level). Maybe a little rowdier if the Steelers are in town. In many games there, I have never witnessed a situation that would cause someone to fear for their safety like the KC couple or like routinely happens in Oakland or San Francisco.

IMO this couple got so much trouble because they brought that stupid sign. But this couple was in the lower level (section 102).

Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 AM

13,925 posts, read 19,137,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
So who's gonna win?

Brady's record in Denver says Denver.
Denver's #1 defense says Denver.
Peyton's last hurrah says Denver.

Those are all past stats. Wonderful for lunchroom conversation.

Brady, Belichick, the Patriots following up lasts years Super Bowl with all of the garbage that surrounded them came into this year with a vengeance. If Deon Lewis, Edelman, Gronk and Blount stayed healthy (which I know in football is a tall order to stay healthy an entire season), couldn't you easily imagine another 16-0 regular season? Edelman has a game under his belt to get his timing back. Losing Mayo was tough, especially with Collins and Hightower knocked up.

Tom Brady. He's been on a mission his entire career. This year he raised the bar. When everyone went down, and the team started losing a few, his demeanor was different than I expected. Frustrated yes, but calm. No panic. Not over compensating. Just trying to work through things with the revolving door of players. We all want to believe the mission is against the NFL & Goodell. I think that's just more coffee room chatter. Tom Brady does care very much about winning and legacy, but he keeps the team first and not personal goals. Those follow with his hard work off the field and mentoring on the field.

Of course I believe the PAtriots are going all the way and repeating this year. I'm a fan. I'm nervous too of course, but Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are just that special. They are the epitome of winning in the NFL, best tandem in the history of the game. Yeah, fans outside of New England would love to see Peyton go out on top. Well, he will, on top of the Bronco he rides off on this Sunday top the golf course Brady sends him too.
Here's the key to the game: Will Denver be able to play zone coverage?

Denver's defense is a base man under/cover-1 that has been phenomenally effective all year and is very well suited to the talents of our secondary. The problem that poses for us is that Brady is much more effective against man coverage than he is zone coverage. To further complicate the problem, Denver's secondary has been average at best when employing zone concepts this year. This was very evident last week as literally every big play we gave up was in a zone coverage. In man coverage, we were spectacular again.

Brady always knows where to go with the ball versus man coverage. The defenses that have been the most successful with him have been the ones that can force him to take that extra second or two to read the safeties while simultaneously taking away his option routes. Being able to get pressure with a 4 man rush is also essential. I am confident in our 4 man rush but if we don't play our zone concepts a lot better than we have, we could be in for a long day.

Offensively, I am not too worried. Manning was very efficient last week against a Steelers defense that was very stingy down the stretch and playing with inclement weather. He is clearly more comfortable in Kubiak's offense now and appears to be healthier than at any point going back to mid 2014. That said, I really don't want to get into a shootout with the Pats offense.

Bottom line: If Denver can execute a variety of zone coverages with the occasional zone blitz, the odds are in our favor. If we can't do that, we'll be in trouble.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:59 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Here's the key to the game: Will Denver be able to play zone coverage?

Denver's defense is a base man under/cover-1 that has been phenomenally effective all year and is very well suited to the talents of our secondary. The problem that poses for us is that Brady is much more effective against man coverage than he is zone coverage. To further complicate the problem, Denver's secondary has been average at best when employing zone concepts this year. This was very evident last week as literally every big play we gave up was in a zone coverage. In man coverage, we were spectacular again.

Brady always knows where to go with the ball versus man coverage. The defenses that have been the most successful with him have been the ones that can force him to take that extra second or two to read the safeties while simultaneously taking away his option routes. Being able to get pressure with a 4 man rush is also essential. I am confident in our 4 man rush but if we don't play our zone concepts a lot better than we have, we could be in for a long day.

Offensively, I am not too worried. Manning was very efficient last week against a Steelers defense that was very stingy down the stretch and playing with inclement weather. He is clearly more comfortable in Kubiak's offense now and appears to be healthier than at any point going back to mid 2014. That said, I really don't want to get into a shootout with the Pats offense.

Bottom line: If Denver can execute a variety of zone coverages with the occasional zone blitz, the odds are in our favor. If we can't do that, we'll be in trouble.
Denver's zone coverage is not that good. But Edelman is the wild card, forcing all sort of coverage nightmares. He almost forces teams to go zone, because if you go man, he'll pull a defender to leave Martin down the side or Gronk down the middle with single coverage. If the Pats O-Line holds up, I'm fairly confident the Pats can put 30+ on the board.

I hope the Pats play run prevent and force Manning to throw. Our pass defense this year has been the best in a decade. Losing Mayo hurt, but not all that much. Force Manning to pass, and his obvious lack of arm strength could make for a long day.

I know the intangibles favor Denver. Them playing at home, Brady's record there, Manning having one of those special games. On paper, although close, I really don't see denver winning.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:05 AM

13,925 posts, read 19,137,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Denver's zone coverage is not that good. But Edelman is the wild card, forcing all sort of coverage nightmares. He almost forces teams to go zone, because if you go man, he'll pull a defender to leave Martin down the side or Gronk down the middle with single coverage. If the Pats O-Line holds up, I'm fairly confident the Pats can put 30+ on the board.
Edelman isn't the one who dictates coverages. That's what Gronkowski does. The trouble Edelman creates is the same trouble Welker posed; he's very quick in and out of breaks and runs excellent option routes, which makes man coverage very susceptible to big plays. To contain him on defense you need to hit him at the line of scrimmage and reroute him to wear you want him rather than letting him dictate the route while understanding that the zone coverage will give up some underneath throws.

I am not confident in Denver's ability to execute those concepts but I am hoping for a surprise.

Quote:
I hope the Pats play run prevent and force Manning to throw. Our pass defense this year has been the best in a decade. Losing Mayo hurt, but not all that much. Force Manning to pass, and his obvious lack of arm strength could make for a long day.
That's pretty much the same attack Green Bay tried to use on us and Manning ate it up to the tune of his best passing game all year. I wouldn't advise that, personally.

While there has no doubt been a decline in his physical skills, far too many people (not you personally, just in general) who lack the football IQ to really understand it have attributed that to his struggles. Changing the offense to that hybrid abomination was the biggest factor in his struggles and is easily confirmed by watching the games and seeing that a vast majority of his poor throws early in the season were mental errors and not physical shortcomings. We've also seen Manning throw the ball well for two weeks now, which is encouraging.

Again, it really all boils down to whether our defense can execute the zone concepts. If we can't do that, almost nothing else matters.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:52 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Brady threw for 280 yards and 3 TDs without Edelman or Amendola, hardly think the Broncos defense will improve with those 2 which opens up more of the field for Gronk

As for Manning "throwing well" only ones who believe that are Manning apologists and fanboys he never had a great arm but that fluttering garbage he was throwing last week will get picked off by a ball hawking Patriot secondary which is much better than Pittsburgs if Pats can stop the run I expect multiple Manning interceptions just like all season

Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,155,289 times
Let's GO GUYS!!!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
As I sit here this morning, 6 hours away from an AFC Championship game with our team, the New England Patriots, in it for the 10th time with Brady under center and Belichick on the sidelines, I try to imagine what it's like to be fans of any other team. Pittsburgh has won the SB twice in that period. The Giants beat our beloved Patriots twice in that period. Yet, neither of those teams compare to the consistent level of excellence the Pats have put forth. It's quite amazing that again I am so nervous for this football day because MY team is in the game, yet again.

The optomist in me says the Pats will win. Brady has played arguably the best football of his career. He is always focused and determined, but seems just a tad more this year. Edelman got a game under his belt since coming off of injury. Even without a running game, could Jackson and/or Bolden combined put up more than 100 yards on the ground? Will a secret weapon like White be a difference maker?

The pessimist in me says IF we lose, why? Did we blow it by losing to the Eagles or the Dolphins in the regular season, thus giving up the chance to play this game at home? Will the intangible of home field and Peyton's swan song be the reason?

IN a few hours my Brady jersey is going on, and I'm heading to my sons house to watch the game, previous to which I get to play with my two grandsons. While most fans outside of the 4 teams playing are probably indifferent, or picking their new short term team, the Pats are in the final four again. The sweet taste of success, and the hate in the ears from others. Love it!!

Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 9,198 times
Again, not a Pats fan (Cowboys), but Brady is one of my favorite QBs to watch. Probably because the Pats and Cowboys aren't rivals, it allows me not to "hate him, lol....In his time there, he has been to I believe 10 AFCCGs....many players don't even play in 10 playoff games, much less CGs....the stat that really blows my mind....this is his 31st playoff game....31!!!! HE IS 22-8 in playoff games....I don't think people really appreciate how hard it is to win playoff games....that is a crazy good stat

A cheap plug for my Cowboys, nobody ever seems to give Aikman "elite" credit, yet Aikman was I believe 11-3 in playoff games. I get that pales to Bradys appearances, but still a very impressive stat

Old 01-24-2016, 09:45 AM

4,979 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Feeling very confident about this game I really don't think it's going to be close I think Pats will embarrass Denver on par with what Seattle did to them in SB 48

Pats played a better QB last week in Smith who is very mobile and was able to escape the rush Manning is a sitting duck back there be surprised if he makes it through the game. All we hear about is the Denver pass rush well Pats were second to Denver in sacks neither team has a great o line but Brady is much more elusive in the pocket and won't turtle up at the first sign of a rush

Shut down the running game make Denver one dimensional and no way will that offense keep pace with Brady
Manning can't make the throws to beat the New England defense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or