U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,138,175 times

Advertisements

Congrats to the Patriots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 AM

62 posts, read 26,797 times
Cowboy fan here, but have to give Pats serious props.....I am not a gambler, but I was seriously considering putting a wager on the Cards last night....the line was 6.5 pts. Going into last night, I think it was a fair assumption that the Cards were one of the top 5 teams this year. Playing at home, on a Sunday night Primetime game after getting embarrased in front of the country the last game they played. Combined that they were playing the Pats without Brady, no Gronk, missing their 2 top defensive players and their starting 2 offensive tackles....To me, this had 35-10 Cards win written all over it....Good thing I didn't place that bet ....Belechick must have a deal with the devil himself. No O line, a no name QB making his first start, 3 undersized white WRs, and a patchwork defense held together with spit and duct tape....nice job Pats

Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,074,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
Cowboy fan here, but have to give Pats serious props.....I am not a gambler, but I was seriously considering putting a wager on the Cards last night....the line was 6.5 pts. Going into last night, I think it was a fair assumption that the Cards were one of the top 5 teams this year. Playing at home, on a Sunday night Primetime game after getting embarrased in front of the country the last game they played. Combined that they were playing the Pats without Brady, no Gronk, missing their 2 top defensive players and their starting 2 offensive tackles....To me, this had 35-10 Cards win written all over it....Good thing I didn't place that bet ....Belechick must have a deal with the devil himself. No O line, a no name QB making his first start, 3 undersized white WRs, and a patchwork defense held together with spit and duct tape....nice job Pats
Appreciate the props and you are spot on with most of the observations save one....

Defense wasn't held together with duct tape and wasn't missing their top 2 players...

Ninkovich is out for 4 games and while an important piece of the puzzle the top 2 players on defense is actually some combination of Collins/Hightower/McCourty/Butler would be tough to rank but the top 2 would definitely come out of this 4 and if forced to pick I'd go with the LB's

This Pats Defense is for real and only gave up 21 points to the second ranked offense in the league from last year at home. And 2 of the TD's came on short fields off turnovers...

Pats D is going to be scary good this season as they have top line talent and speed at all 3 levels

Good luck to your Cowboys this season, looks like you guys have your QB of the future. I've always liked Romo but honestly I hope he retires with his health more or less intact, back fractures are nothing to fool around with and it didn't seem like much of a hit before this last one.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:45 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,161,992 times
Well damn, Jimmy G was looking pretty good...........then bam. Brissett did what was needed, but I am sure he has his nose in the playbook as I type this, being it is a short week with the Texans coming up. Suppose the backup would be Julian. GO PATS!!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:38 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
What a win tonight. A complete team win as they pitch a shutout of a good Houston team. Offense. Defense. Special Teams. Everyone played their part tonight. 3-0 and moving into Buffalo. This team could go 4-0 to start the season.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,267,983 times
Good game for the Pats and good start to the season for the Patriots even without Tom Brady.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:45 PM

6,472 posts, read 3,472,918 times
Honestly did not see that coming.

Belichick is a genius. The players and coaches executed. Honestly, the Patriots are downright scary. The rest of the league is already on notice. Complete domination on both sides of the ball. Hopkins was pedestrian, and the only Watt I heard was a light bulb humming in the background.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:08 AM

21,385 posts, read 21,954,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What a win tonight. A complete team win as they pitch a shutout of a good Houston team. Offense. Defense. Special Teams. Everyone played their part tonight. 3-0 and moving into Buffalo. This team could go 4-0 to start the season.
yeah, but then they got Cleveland

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,295,545 times
Shutouts have become increasingly less common in the NFL, so I did a little digging. This is the second shutout in the league this year (the 49ers beat the Rams 28-0 in week 1). That equals the number of shutouts from last season - which was the lowest in the history of the NFL. Coming in to this season, there had been 117 regular season shutouts in the league since 2000 - a little over seven per year, a little less than four per franchise.

The Patriots are 9-2 in shutouts since 2000 (which is when Belichick came on board). I checked - he was 3-1 in shutouts during his tenure with the Browns back in the 1990s.

It was Houston's second (regular season) shutout ever, their first in 13 years (they were blanked 30-0 in the postseason last year by the Chiefs).

Seattle leads the NFL with the most shutouts since 2000, with ten.

************************************************** **************************************

Also, last night's win was Belichick's 226th regular season victory, tying him with Curly Lambeau for fourth all-time. Belichick is 226-113 in 21+ seasons, including his time with the Browns (190-69 with the Patriots); Lambeau was 226-132-22 in 33 seasons with the Packers, Chicago Cardinals and Redskins from 1921 to 1953. Lambeau actually started with the Packers in 1919, but they didn't join the NFL until 1921 (when it was still known by its original name, the American Professional Football Association).

Tom Landry is in third place with 250 regular season victories.

Counting postseason victories (where Bill is the all-time leader with 23), Belichick is at 249, behind Landry with 270.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,161,992 times
Thought the Pats would win, but did not think they would of shut them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or