U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 04:15 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,293,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
We'll have to see how things play out in the West, but they probably need 13 wins in order to grab the #1 seed. The winner of the AFC East and the AFC West will be getting the #1 and #2 seeds this year.
I think the Patriots will very likely get to the 13-win threshold, but it's going to be challenging for the AFC West teams.

PATRIOTS
Los Angeles
Baltimore
@ Denver
NY Jets
@ Miami

RAIDERS
Buffalo
@ Kansas City
@ San Diego
Indianapolis
@ Denver

CHIEFS
@ Atlanta
Oakland
Tennessee
Denver
@ San Diego

The Patriots have two soft games, two more games they should win but cannot be taken lightly, and the tough game at Denver.
The Raiders have two tough division road games, and none of their other three games can be taken lightly.
The Chiefs have two tough division games, though they're fortunate to have them both at home. Still, it's probably more likely that they lose one than win them both. And the road trip to Atlanta is no gimme.

As for tie-breakers, the Chiefs have beaten the Raiders once with another match-up looming (and @ KC). Otherwise, the tie-breaker situation is pretty murky, save for the fact that Kansas City has two losses against teams New England has beaten. That might come into play if things fall as far as a common-games tie-breaker, which is possible given the current lay of the land.

Overall, it appears that the Patriots have a bit of an edge, schedule-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:52 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
I think the Patriots will beat Los Angeles, Baltimore and New York. Denver is going to be very tough and over the last 15 years, New England is only .500 at Miami. Miami is going to have a lot to play for in the last game so that will be a tough trip down to South Florida.

I also am not counting Denver out of the title race in the AFC West. Their defense is far too good. Really the last 3 weeks of the season is going to be fun for the AFC West as Denver, Oakland and Kansas City all play each other.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Yeah I'm thinking 3-2 to finish, maybe 4-1 but those 2 road games are killers and Pats/Brady have historically not done well in either S. Florida or Denver...

Fortunately the AFC West teams will be beating up on each other to finish out the season and while it seems likely the Pats and AFC West winner will be the 1-2 seeds I think it will be hard for any of the AFC West teams to finish with 13 wins.

As much as the Raiders have been the feel good story and Denver is the defending champs, Kansas City is the most dangerous team in the West right now...only real complete team with a Championship caliber offense and defense.

I think the Chiefs will win out in the West, I could see them going 4-1 but if they win at Atlanta this week they may run the table.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:42 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,019,067 times
Reports are that Gronkowski will undergo back surgery tomorrow. Assuming that is true, I would think the organization at this point has to be seriously worried about his long-term health & ability to stay on the field. At some point, this many injuries (and back issues in general) catch up to you and start to impact your level of play on the field. Granted, the Patriots can't do anything about it other than cross their fingers and hope that this turns out to be a minor issue that he bounces back from rather quickly. As a fantasy owner, I would start to wonder whether or not he is a guy that I want to hang onto year-after-year in a dynasty league.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:46 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
They are saying it is a herniated disc and I wonder will he be able to come back this season? Huge for the Patriots.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:47 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Not good news as I'm counting on the Pats to beat both Denver and Miami on the road for the Bills to have a chance at the playoffs.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Belichick is great at adjustments, game planning but the fact remains Gronk is Brady's safety net when things break down. It will be interesting going forward to see what happens.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Huge blow to Super Bowl hopes for the Pats....

If Bennett were healthy I would be feeling better about things but he is a mess physically as well...

Two tight end offense goes out the window, Blount having a career year and Dion Lewis has looked terrific in limited action

Pats likely to go run heavy, play action and/or spread em out with 4 Wides....

Fortunately they may have the deepest WR group in Brady's tenure on the team with legitimate WR's in Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell with Lewis essentially a 5th WR when they split him out wide

I can't ever remember Pats having this much depth at WR

Still Gronk is special, Pats will still make playoffs and still likely 1st or 2nd seed but they should no longer be SB favorites

Old 12-01-2016, 05:46 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
This hurts big time. Hopefully he can be ready to go in 6 weeks.

I still like the Patriots' chances to get one of the top seeds which will mean a bye week in the first round of the playoffs. They need to win the next 2 at home in order to make that happen.

IF they do get either #1 or #2, that would mean their first playoff game would be the weekend of January 14-15 which is a little over 6 weeks from now.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:07 PM

No way can keep a roster spot open for 8 weeks in hopes that Gronk comes back this season. He's going to IR Belichick is a pragmatist you just can't leave holes in your roster even for Gronk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or