U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,555,061 times

Advertisements

Yep, you're right, he went on IR, big blow for the Patriots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,462,944 times
I've felt this way for years, but IMO, having the most wins in the history of the NFL, done 30+ games faster than Peyton, with all the SB and AFC Championship appearances and wins, lifetime record, etc etc - Tom Brady is the #1 QB in the history of the NFL up to this point, period. No discussion, no debate.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I've felt this way for years, but IMO, having the most wins in the history of the NFL, done 30+ games faster than Peyton, with all the SB and AFC Championship appearances and wins, lifetime record, etc etc - Tom Brady is the #1 QB in the history of the NFL up to this point, period. No discussion, no debate.
It was a good day all around for the team. With all of the talk surrounding the loss of Gronk, the offense played pretty well today. Not great, but pretty well and coupled with some nice plays by the defense they get to 10-2 and head into a big game with Baltimore. If they beat Baltimore and get to 11-2 they will pretty much have the division sewn up and also a first round bye. The winner of the South will have a 10-6 record at best. The winner of the North will have an 11-5 record at best, plus the Patriots would own the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh having beaten them, should the Steelers win out and finish 11-5.

As far as Tom goes, what else needs to be said? He now owns the record that really matters most - wins.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:30 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,283,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It was a good day all around for the team. With all of the talk surrounding the loss of Gronk, the offense played pretty well today. Not great, but pretty well and coupled with some nice plays by the defense they get to 10-2 and head into a big game with Baltimore. If they beat Baltimore and get to 11-2 they will pretty much have the division sewn up and also a first round bye. The winner of the South will have a 10-6 record at best. The winner of the North will have an 11-5 record at best, plus the Patriots would own the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh having beaten them, should the Steelers win out and finish 11-5.

As far as Tom goes, what else needs to be said? He now owns the record that really matters most - wins.
He also has the highest winning percentage of any quarterback with more than 100 starts. The more games you start, the harder it is to keep up that winning percentage - and Brady has the third most decisions in NFL history (behind Favre and P. Manning). Otto Graham has a slightly higher winning percentage, but he only started 78 games over 6 NFL seasons, whereas Brady has started 261 over a 17-year (so far) NFL career.

Another interesting statistic is winning seasons. Brady through 2015 has compiled 13 winning seasons in his career - I'm not counting 2008 because his 1-0 record that year is too few starts (I think a QB should have to start a majority of his team's games for it to count as a 'winning season'). He's 7-1 in 8 starts this season; next week's start will assure him of a 14th winning season as a starter, against zero losing seasons. As best I can tell, the other QB with the most winning seasons versus zero losing seasons for his entire career was Roger Staubach, who had eight winning seasons in his 11-year career (and another three seasons in which he went 1-0, 2-1, and 0-0 as a starter). So Brady has nearly doubled up Staubach on the number of winning seasons on a career in which a QB posted no losing seasons. That really is amazing.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,462,944 times
Roger Goodell has shown how totally unprofessional he is.

When a player breaks an ALL-TIME wins record in the history of the league and receives not even a acknowledgement from the commissioner of said league, that's pathetic.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Quote:
Roger Goodell has shown how totally unprofessional he is.

When a player breaks an ALL-TIME wins record in the history of the league and receives not even a acknowledgement from the commissioner of said league, that's pathetic.
To be fair that seems more like a baseball thing than a football thing. I don't really recall NFL comissoners, the current one or past ones, acknowledging accomplishments of any players. Especially a stat like wins in the biggest team sport there is.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:23 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,226,607 times
Quote:
There was a time, a few years back when i would debate this, but Tom has settled the debate.. he is the GOAT! In my eyes!

Now i am going to have to ask that his body be examined after he passes away to confirm that he is actually human because honestly, he doesn't look it to me! I suspect an alien or even robot...

Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,226,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
To be fair that seems more like a baseball thing than a football thing. I don't really recall NFL comissoners, the current one or past ones, acknowledging accomplishments of any players. Especially a stat like wins in the biggest team sport there is.
That one of those stats that didn't exist a few decades back but i do specifically remember hearing that Troy Aikman had set the record for the MOST wins in a decade during the 90s... (I suspect Brady has that record now?) so its been around at least that long. I think its a pretty cool stat and really gives you an idea of how successful a QB is.. as well as how durable he is... but i wonder how they credit a win.. obviously its easy to do when you start and finish a game but what happens if you start a game, get knocked out in the 1st quarter via injury and never return.. your teams wins, do you get credit for a win.. this happened 1 time to Brady that i know of (opening game, 2008).. did he get credit for that win?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
That one of those stats that didn't exist a few decades back but i do specifically remember hearing that Troy Aikman had set the record for the MOST wins in a decade during the 90s... (I suspect Brady has that record now?) so its been around at least that long. I think its a pretty cool stat and really gives you an idea of how successful a QB is.. as well as how durable he is... but i wonder how they credit a win.. obviously its easy to do when you start and finish a game but what happens if you start a game, get knocked out in the 1st quarter via injury and never return.. your teams wins, do you get credit for a win.. this happened 1 time to Brady that i know of (opening game, 2008).. did he get credit for that win?
He does. I know because be Matt Cassel was credited for the week one win last year for the Bills simply because he took the first snap of the game and handed the ball off. Taylor played all the other snaps at QB.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
This game was a lot closer than it should have been. Tom threw a bad pick in the end zone and the 2 fumbles by Jones and Slater allowed Baltimore to make it a game.

11-2 with a very tough trip out to Denver next Sunday. The Patriots only need to win one of their last 3 games to lock up the division and a first round bye.

New England is now 9-1 vs. the AFC North in their last 10 regular season games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or