U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,455,004 times

Advertisements

That Texans game just highlights what it is like to be a Patriots fan.

That game was ugly. Score aside, at the end of the game I thought they didn't play all that well and have a lot to improve on if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

Then the facts. They dropped 34 points on the #1 defense. The game wasn't even 18 points close, as we gift wrapped 10 of the Texans points with sloppiness. The Patriots are going to their sixth AFC CHampionship in a row (that's just plain siiiiiiiiick), and yet we Pats fans know that's just not good enough.

The level of excellence that Belichick instills in the players is amazing. BRady's expectation of himself and his teammates is exemplary. I fear both the Steelers and the Chiefs, but that Steelers offense is really scary IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I couldn't believe Bennett went back into the game!
On a side note, I saw some crazy twistings of the knee this year and thought a couple players were done with major ACL tears. Both Marshall week 2 against the Bills and McCoy against the 49ers. Both players came back in the game the next series and finished the game like nothing happened. Unbelievable. The Marshall one looked really bad. That was the play where Gilmore was beat for a TD and he pulled Marshall down by the facemask.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
On a side note, I saw some crazy twistings of the knee this year and thought a couple players were done with major ACL tears. Both Marshall week 2 against the Bills and McCoy against the 49ers. Both players came back in the game the next series and finished the game like nothing happened. Unbelievable. The Marshall one looked really bad. That was the play where Gilmore was beat for a TD and he pulled Marshall down by the facemask.
Its crazy how some of the players are MADE... seriously.. you can just look at Tony Romo and he is out for the year but twist some guys into a square KNOT and they are back in a few series.. crazy!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The game wasn't even 18 points close, as we gift wrapped 10 of the Texans points with sloppiness. .
What in the world are you talking about? You also got a kick return TD and QB that couldn't get out of his own way the whole game, and when he finally did make a nice throw for a TD the receiver dropped it. Sloppiness is not a one way street.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,957,524 times
Quote:
I tore my ACL playing basketball when I was 30. The doc told me that it takes just 14 pounds of force in the right spot to tear the ACL. If I my knee had been hit an inch higher or lower, it would have been a bruise. I tore the meniscus in my good knee a year ago when I stepped on some uneven bricks on a Boston sidewalk. Didn't even fall, just a stumble. I had been skiing for months without incident. The knee is a really complicated joint.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? You also got a kick return TD and QB that couldn't get out of his own way the whole game, and when he finally did make a nice throw for a TD the receiver dropped it. Sloppiness is not a one way street.
Not sure we are on the same page here.

The Texans defense played really good last night yet the Pats put up 34. Brady completed less than 50% of his passes, and although many say Brady didn't play well, give some credit to the Texans defense. Of the 16 points the Texans got, the Pats sloppiness gave them short fields and 10 points. The Texans offense was what was expected.

The Patriots were sloppy despite the margin of victory. I don't think the Texans were sloppy, but just played as the team that they are, whereas if the Pats weren't sloppy I think the score could have been 45-3 or something like that. The game was only close for a while because the Pats played that way, IMO.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Not sure we are on the same page here.

The Texans defense played really good last night yet the Pats put up 34. Brady completed less than 50% of his passes, and although many say Brady didn't play well, give some credit to the Texans defense. Of the 16 points the Texans got, the Pats sloppiness gave them short fields and 10 points. The Texans offense was what was expected.

The Patriots were sloppy despite the margin of victory. I don't think the Texans were sloppy, but just played as the team that they are, whereas if the Pats weren't sloppy I think the score could have been 45-3 or something like that. The game was only close for a while because the Pats played that way, IMO.
Giving up a TD on a kick off return is the definition of sloppy. That is why I disagree with your conclusion. You can't say that one team got the benefit of sloppy play and another did not. Each team benefited from sloppy play. Sure you expect poor QB play out of the Texans but you don't necessarily expect Brock to throw three INTs. He's bad, but even for him that is worse than usual, if that were his average per game he would have thrown over 40 INTs on the season.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 AM

18,350 posts, read 23,523,787 times
I hope bill b. Give that Rowe a good ass whooping

He's the idiot who started pulling on legs on a pile up in front of a ref and got penalized

The momentum was going the pats way they were on 3rd down
And this gave them some new life the momentum changed after that play

Houstons coach is a former pats coach
So he can really mess with Brady

They won. It wasn't pretty but they won and
More than doubled their score.

We are just so damn spoiled. We want a text book
Win every game. And that isn't going to happen

We are in the conference championship next week let's celebrate that!!

Remember last week Aaron rogers one of the most talented qbs
In NFL had a terrible first half
Everyone likes to pick on Brady

Hmmmm. Last years mvp. Cam. Who???
And you don't hear crap about how he or his team tanked
This year.

And year after yr we are in the hunt -- didn't we set an all time record last night??
Going to 6 conference championships in a row???

Last yrs champions broncos didn't even make the playoffs
And Seattle got eliminated yet again the patriots are still playing

Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Giving up a TD on a kick off return is the definition of sloppy. That is why I disagree with your conclusion. You can't say that one team got the benefit of sloppy play and another did not. Each team benefited from sloppy play. Sure you expect poor QB play out of the Texans but you don't necessarily expect Brock to throw three INTs. He's bad, but even for him that is worse than usual, if that were his average per game he would have thrown over 40 INTs on the season.
The definition of sloppy across teams is vastly different. The Patriots sloppy would probably make the Cleveland Browns look like a playoff team. It's relative to expectations and prior play of each team. If you look at just the Patriots games over the past, this game was up there in the sloppy scale, very much so. The Texans on the other hand looked like they played a more normal game for them.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM

4,981 posts, read 11,048,731 times
Quote:
They were the best yardage defense in the league. If you are quoting a points statistic, then there are still three defenses left in the playoffs that gave up less ppg then the Patriots (patriots were #1 and Houston 11th in ppg). I'm guessing why the Texans didn't do as well in total points given up is because their offense could not sustain drives and sometimes put their defense in compromising positions just like we saw last night.

And the biggest difference is all those teams remaining, including the Kansas City Chiefs even, have FAR better offenses than Houston. Even the Chiefs who are the next most anemic offense left in the playoffs scored over 24ppg which was a whole TD and extra point better than Houston over the course of the season.
NFL ranks defenses on yards allowed so Houston WAS the number 1 defense in the NFL....

Why would I be "quoting a points statistic" when I made that point?

Houston WAS the best remaining defense the NFL and the Pats still hung up 34 even without playing great....not even understanding why you feel the need to argue a FACT on a Pats board?

Really doesn't matter if the other teams like KC have better offenses because they don't have a better defense than the Texans and if the Pats could put up 34 on Houston while playing poorly against a number 1 defense, what are they going to do to KC and Pitt who have worse defenses???

Pitt can hang with New England offensively but Pats have a better defense than Pitt

KC can't hang with New Englands offense and also has a worse defense than NE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or