U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times

Advertisements

Another note about the Patriots' win in the divisional round:

As a starting QB, Tom Brady has now won at least one postseason game in 12 different NFL (post)seasons. That's the most ever by a decent margin - Brett Favre did it 9 different times, while no one else has done it more than 7 times (if you're wondering - this year Ben Roethlisberger has done it for the 6th time in his career, Aaron Rodgers the 5th time in his).

Brady has also won at least two postseason games in 7 different NFL (post)seasons. If the Patriots win on Sunday, he'll raise that record to 8x. (Joe Montana, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning each did it 5 times)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 PM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Pittsburgh had a tougher schedule than New England. The NFC-West was Seattle and a bunch of losing teams. Pittsburgh played the NFC-East with two playoff teams, the Redskins with a winning record, and Philly as 7-9. The only Pittsburgh schedule advantage was getting Cleveland twice instead of just once for the Patriots. Of course, the Patriots got the Jets twice instead of once for Pittsburgh.

I don't see New England as a dominant team. New England hasn't played any elite QBs other than losing to Seattle. Rapistburger was hurt when they beat Pittsburgh. The Patriots have a strong offense so all those teams with weak quarterback play had to pass instead of run.

Not that this is a news flash to anyone but I see the key to the game being the Patriots OL. If Brady has time, New England will score a lot of points. If it's a Broncos last year, Ravens, or the two Giants debacles with Brady on his back on every passing play, Pittsburgh certainly has enough weapons to score the points to win the game.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Pittsburgh had a tougher schedule than New England. The NFC-West was Seattle and a bunch of losing teams. Pittsburgh played the NFC-East with two playoff teams, the Redskins with a winning record, and Philly as 7-9. The only Pittsburgh schedule advantage was getting Cleveland twice instead of just once for the Patriots. Of course, the Patriots got the Jets twice instead of once for Pittsburgh.
All of that is completely irrelevant to the game this Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't see New England as a dominant team. New England hasn't played any elite QBs other than losing to Seattle. Rapistburger was hurt when they beat Pittsburgh. The Patriots have a strong offense so all those teams with weak quarterback play had to pass instead of run.
You don't see a team that went 14-2 as a dominant team? If New England was not a dominant team this year, than who was? Your analysis is lacking.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You don't see a team that went 14-2 as a dominant team?
I agree. However, Marty Schottenheimer was fired from his head coaching position with the San Diego Chargers in 2007, after leading the Chargers to a 142 regular season record (but a disappointing second round playoff loss). Different team, different owner & GM, different circumstances, but still 14-2!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I agree. However, Marty Schottenheimer was fired from his head coaching position with the San Diego Chargers in 2007, after leading the Chargers to a 142 regular season record (but a disappointing second round playoff loss). Different team, different owner & GM, different circumstances, but still 14-2!
Yeah, I never understood why the Chargers fired Schottemheimer after a 14-2 record. It makes no sense to me.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I think Marty being fired speaks more to the ownership of the Charges, which is garbage, than the results San Diego had that year. They were a great team that season.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:30 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,156,060 times
Pulling Scarnecchia outta retirement this year has proven to be the difference maker in the O-line this season.....no doubt. I was hoping the Pats would've cut Cannon during last year's off season, but he has played great this year and Scar has a lot to do with that. Gotta call on that O-line for 2 more games, but will take 'em one at a time. GO PATS!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:54 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Hogan with 180 receiving yards and two TDs? I think I'm going to be sick. LOL. Hogan's alright but geez, Steelers are really letting him run free on a lot of these.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Pats are now putting the hammer down on Pittsburgh. Brady has 367 passing yards. And the Pats are on top 33-9 with one minute left in the third quarter.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:11 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Yep, and I am envious watching their corners cover WRs and playing defense so this is how it is done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or