U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times

Advertisements

Some thoughts on the Patriots' win:

*The Patriots as a team have gone to 11 AFC Championship Games since the 2001 season - no other AFC team has gone to as many going all the way back to the 1980 season.

*Tom Brady has now won seven and appeared in eleven conference championship games as a starting quarterback. Only one other quarterback (Joe Montana) has even appeared in as many conference championship games as a starter.

*Brady's Super Bowl appearances now span 16 seasons, breaking his own record as a QB (and for all I know, of any player of any position) of 14. Next most by a starting QB? Elway, whose SB appearances spanned 13 seasons.

*Brady continues to solidify his hold on many other postseason NFL records. 24 wins as a starting QB (Montana is second, with 16) - Brady has played the equivalent of 2+ NFL regular seasons in the playoffs over his career. Most postseason completions (788), attempts (1259), yards passing (8,628), touchdowns passing (61). In these categories, Brady has substantial leads over the runner-up (Manning, except for TD passes, where it's Montana). And he has almost doubled up the nearest active challengers (either Rodgers or Roethlisberger in all categories). And he still has his Super Bowl numbers to post this year.

*Imagine this:
January, 1996. Dallas has just won the Super Bowl over Pittsburgh, their 8th trip to the big game. No other team has gone more than five times. The question of who will be the first team to go to a 9th Super Bowl comes up. Dallas is the obvious best guess. Other teams with five SB appearances to that point (Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Washington, Miami) are all reasonable. Buffalo, Denver, the Raiders, Minnesota might be offered by a few people. No one but a Boston homer or two would pipe up and say "New England!". But they would have been correct.

*13 of the last 14, and 14 of the last 16, AFC Championship Games have been won by Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Ben Roelisberger. Each of them has had to get past two other dominant future hall of fame QBs year in and year out to get to their Super Bowls. And each of them has managed to get to at least 3 Super Bowls and win at least 2 of them. That really puts their accomplishments into perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM

9,579 posts, read 8,883,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Some thoughts on the Patriots' win:

*The Patriots as a team have gone to 11 AFC Championship Games since the 2001 season - no other AFC team has gone to as many going all the way back to the 1980 season.

*Tom Brady has now won seven and appeared in eleven conference championship games as a starting quarterback. Only one other quarterback (Joe Montana) has even appeared in as many conference championship games as a starter.

*Brady's Super Bowl appearances now span 16 seasons, breaking his own record as a QB (and for all I know, of any player of any position) of 14. Next most by a starting QB? Elway, whose SB appearances spanned 13 seasons.

*Brady continues to solidify his hold on many other postseason NFL records. 24 wins as a starting QB (Montana is second, with 16) - Brady has played the equivalent of 2+ NFL regular seasons in the playoffs over his career. Most postseason completions (788), attempts (1259), yards passing (8,628), touchdowns passing (61). In these categories, Brady has substantial leads over the runner-up (Manning, except for TD passes, where it's Montana). And he has almost doubled up the nearest active challengers (either Rodgers or Roethlisberger in all categories). And he still has his Super Bowl numbers to post this year.

*Imagine this:
January, 1996. Dallas has just won the Super Bowl over Pittsburgh, their 8th trip to the big game. No other team has gone more than five times. The question of who will be the first team to go to a 9th Super Bowl comes up. Dallas is the obvious best guess. Other teams with five SB appearances to that point (Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Washington, Miami) are all reasonable. Buffalo, Denver, the Raiders, Minnesota might be offered by a few people. No one but a Boston homer or two would pipe up and say "New England!". But they would have been correct.

*13 of the last 14, and 14 of the last 16, AFC Championship Games have been won by Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Ben Roelisberger. Each of them has had to get past two other dominant future hall of fame QBs year in and year out to get to their Super Bowls. And each of them has managed to get to at least 3 Super Bowls and win at least 2 of them. That really puts their accomplishments into perspective.
7 SB in 17 years..only stat that matters...unreal really.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,969,751 times
This stat say it all----

Tom Brady-- 32/42--384 yards--3 touchdowns

And this one--Blounts 18 yard run--about as long of a pile driving run you'll see. And to Belechick's credit he called Blount's number on the next play for the touchdown.

A dominating performance by the New England Patriots.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,156,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
This stat say it all----

Tom Brady-- 32/42--384 yards--3 touchdowns

And this one--Blounts 18 yard run--about as long of a pile driving run you'll see. And to Belechick's credit he called Blount's number on the next play for the touchdown.

A dominating performance by the New England Patriots.
Well............there it is.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 AM

6,446 posts, read 3,455,004 times
The New England Patriots. A team once considered a laughing stock, a joke. Even when they made it to their first two Super Bowls before the Brady/Belichick era, they were not taken all that seriously. And to take it one step further, when the Patriots got into the Super Bowl in 2001 against the Greatest Show on Turf, even then it was a foregone conclusion that the Pats were just lucky to be in the big game.

Fast forward to this morning. The franchise earned the right to go to their 9th Super in their history last night, the most EVER in the NFL. Being called the evil empire of the NFL is fine by me because that tag was given to the Yankees because they won, plain and simple.

The most amazing thing for me is this dynasty we have witnessed. Previous dynasties had multiple Super Bowl victories as have the Patriots, but have not lasted for now a decade and a half straight, and in the era of free agency and the drive for parity. In 15 healthy years (16 total), Tom Brady and the Pats are going to their 7th Super Bowl, just competed in their 11th AFC Championship, and done with the same QB and coach.

We have been witness to the greatest dynasty in NFL history, the greatest coach, the greatest QB, something most fans can't even comprehend in their dreams.

And of course I believe the Pats will win SB51, why shouldn't I?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
^^^Yeah, it's kind of funny because I think St. Louis was favored by 2 or 3 TDs going into that game back in my freshman year of highschool (01-02).

Now, I'm an ATL Falcons fan. Bill Belichick is great at throwing good schemes together to take away the strength of a team or at least what they do well. New England is great at stopping the run but are they going to double Julio Jones or play him straight up? Will they break out some corner and safety blitzs to try to knock off Matt Ryan's timing?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 11,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
^^^Yeah, it's kind of funny because I think St. Louis was favored by 2 or 3 TDs going into that game back in my freshman year of highschool (01-02).

Now, I'm an ATL Falcons fan. Bill Belichick is great at throwing good schemes together to take away the strength of a team or at least what they do well. New England is great at stopping the run but are they going to double Julio Jones or play him straight up? Will they break out some corner and safety blitzs to try to knock off Matt Ryan's timing?
Pats rarely blitz and Jones will almost certainly be doubled one question will be does our best corner Malcolm Butler cover Jones with safety over the top or do Pats put Ryan and a safety on Julio and single cover Sanu with Butler

I think Pats D matches up well with Atlanta, Pats D is predictated on limiting big plays keeping game in front of them while Atlanta lives to make chunk plays. Strength against strength should be a great game

Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Pats rarely blitz and Jones will almost certainly be doubled one question will be does our best corner Malcolm Butler cover Jones with safety over the top or do Pats put Ryan and a safety on Julio and single cover Sanu with Butler

I think Pats D matches up well with Atlanta, Pats D is predictated on limiting big plays keeping game in front of them while Atlanta lives to make chunk plays. Strength against strength should be a great game
That's interesting, it will be even more interesting to see how NE plays Coleman and Freeman. These guys are shifty and can turn a 5 yard catch into a nice 10-15 yard gain. NE gotta tackle and put our players down on the initial contact. Defense wise, I think ATL will throw a few blitzs at Brady, only to force quick throws obviously...ATL has a fast defense and that could work if New England has some 3rd and longs (it just needs two work 2 or 3 times for ATL, anymore would be gravy). I think ATL is fine with the big play being taken away, because they're patient and versatile enough to go through with the long drive. Matt Ryan will gamble from time to time though.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,152,521 times
Congrats to the Patriots on another AFC title. Unlike most people who aren't Patriots fans, I don't hate them and in fact somewhat like them (definitely unlike the other Boston area teams), something that has been true for a long time (still remember when the Patriots beat the Jets and then upset the Raiders and Dolphins after the 1985 season, among other games since I started following the NFL in 1981). I won't be rooting for the Patriots in the Super Bowl because I casually like the Falcons even more and they haven't won before, but if the Patriots do win Super Bowl 51, they'll be a deserving champion.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The New England Patriots. A team once considered a laughing stock, a joke. Even when they made it to their first two Super Bowls before the Brady/Belichick era, they were not taken all that seriously. And to take it one step further, when the Patriots got into the Super Bowl in 2001 against the Greatest Show on Turf, even then it was a foregone conclusion that the Pats were just lucky to be in the big game.

Fast forward to this morning. The franchise earned the right to go to their 9th Super in their history last night, the most EVER in the NFL. Being called the evil empire of the NFL is fine by me because that tag was given to the Yankees because they won, plain and simple.

The most amazing thing for me is this dynasty we have witnessed. Previous dynasties had multiple Super Bowl victories as have the Patriots, but have not lasted for now a decade and a half straight, and in the era of free agency and the drive for parity. In 15 healthy years (16 total), Tom Brady and the Pats are going to their 7th Super Bowl, just competed in their 11th AFC Championship, and done with the same QB and coach.

We have been witness to the greatest dynasty in NFL history, the greatest coach, the greatest QB, something most fans can't even comprehend in their dreams.

And of course I believe the Pats will win SB51, why shouldn't I?
I'm with ya Metal but the Cowboys first dynasty. (the 90s team was a mini dynasty by comparison) lasted 20 years.. 1966-1985... 20 consecutive Winning seasons, 18 trips to the Playoffs, 5 Super Bowls appearances. 2 SB titles. i would be the first to admit the Patriots current dynasty, albeit not as lengthy, is greater than the Cowboys (1st) dynasty.. but the Cowboys dynasty was longer.. there is still something for the Patriots to shoot for.. another 5 seasons before they can say they have the LONGEST lasting dynasty..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or