U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 02:04 PM

689 posts, read 338,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Heck he might not even see single coverage in some games. Remember the AFC championship.game?
I remember Hogan going into the endzone WIDE OPEN with his hand up....I was like WTF? Bad defense by Steelers right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM

3,002 posts, read 3,158,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I remember Hogan going into the endzone WIDE OPEN with his hand up....I was like WTF? Bad defense by Steelers right there.
He was like a white Moss running down the field.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:44 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,629,257 times
Opinions on their home and season opener against the Chiefs? They should crush them right?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:06 PM

689 posts, read 338,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Opinions on their home and season opener against the Chiefs? They should crush them right?
Hard to say....Chiefs are a great regular season team. Game may be close plus Brady may need to take a game or 2 to gel with his WR crew cuz Edleman missing...or he may be on fire and blow them out.

I don't see Chiefs blowing them out like they did 2-3 seasons ago in Arrowhead.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,462,944 times
Not entirely surprised that Jacoby was traded. With the recent injuries, carrying 3 QB's didn't make sense. Jacoby was the one that made sense to move, not Jimmy. It's all a crapshoot based on what Tom Brady does this year and beyond, because if he continues to play until 45 as he wishes neither Jacoby nor Jimmy will still be on the team when it's time to find another starter. But if the Pats somehow win another SUper Bowl this year then maybe Tom will decide to hang it up, and between the two Jimmy "looks more of a franchise QB" than Jacoby.

Indirectly, Tom is sort of holding the Pats hostage to the QB position solely due to the age/performance debate, not with how he plays. Until otherwise noted, Brady IS the man, the greatest QB of our era and I say all-time, and still arguably the #1 QB in the league. Aaron fans will say otherwise, but just because Rodgers might be the best QB based on raw physical attributes, Brady wins A LOT more.

Regarding the season opener, I think it will be close. Brady is a slow season starter and generally takes him a couple of weeks to acclimate his ever changing annual receiving corps to timing.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 AM

4,986 posts, read 11,059,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Not entirely surprised that Jacoby was traded. With the recent injuries, carrying 3 QB's didn't make sense. Jacoby was the one that made sense to move, not Jimmy. It's all a crapshoot based on what Tom Brady does this year and beyond, because if he continues to play until 45 as he wishes neither Jacoby nor Jimmy will still be on the team when it's time to find another starter. But if the Pats somehow win another SUper Bowl this year then maybe Tom will decide to hang it up, and between the two Jimmy "looks more of a franchise QB" than Jacoby.

Indirectly, Tom is sort of holding the Pats hostage to the QB position solely due to the age/performance debate, not with how he plays. Until otherwise noted, Brady IS the man, the greatest QB of our era and I say all-time, and still arguably the #1 QB in the league. Aaron fans will say otherwise, but just because Rodgers might be the best QB based on raw physical attributes, Brady wins A LOT more.

Regarding the season opener, I think it will be close. Brady is a slow season starter and generally takes him a couple of weeks to acclimate his ever changing annual receiving corps to timing.
I agree with much of this, I thought there was a chance Jacoby would be outright released so getting anything in return is a bonus...

I don't think Brady retires even if they win again this season, I think he has made it pretty clear he wants to play several more years regardless....I don't think winning another SB would change this

I do agree with the "semi hostage" situation, it really is a unique situation because Brady is still playing at such a high level, this isn't like Manning coming off a serious neck injury and multiple surgeries or signs of decline from Montana or Favre

If Brady plays this season like he did last season especially if they win it all it will be really hard to move on from Brady

I think if the Pats falter at all and Brady shows any signs of decline Belichick won't hesitate to move on...he's done it with every other player on the roster

Last point, I expect the season opener to be close because KC is a good team and its early season, I am more worried about how the Pats defense will perform since they never really had the whole first team out there during the preseason

The offense won't be a problem even with Edelman out

As for Brady starting the season....Brady is 6-1 in season openers (counting game 5 last year) with an average of 330 yards and 2.3 TD's and really the only change in starting WR's this season will be Cooks....I wouldn't say he starts slow. He looked ready to go in his couple of series in preseason game 3 even after Edelman went down

Old 09-06-2017, 07:53 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,960,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Brady seems like the kind of guy that will retire if he believes his game has declined. He has had great success over 15 years and doesn't need the money. He wouldn't "hang on" with the Pats or play for another team...

Old 09-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Brady seems like the kind of guy that will retire if he believes his game has declined. He has had great success over 15 years and doesn't need the money. He wouldn't "hang on" with the Pats or play for another team...
Yeah but what if his game doesn't decline this season??

I personally don't think it will....

Even if the Pats won another SB title this season there is virtually NO reason to think Brady is going to reverse course on everything he has been doing and saying for the past few years regarding his desire to play into his mid 40's

The scenario that I see some people floating that Brady will ride off into the sunset after this season if the Pats win again only makes sense if Brady breaks down or gets injured otherwise he will want to come back....he has made that abundantly clear

At this point I think it is slightly "more likely than not" that Brady ends up finishing his career on another team...I just don't know that Belichick when it comes down to it will mortgage the future of the franchise if he really thinks Jimmy G can be a franchise QB for 10 years vs Brady for another 2-3 years

It's a depressing thought of seeing Brady in another uniform

Personally I would rather focus on the promise of a new season with a stacked team and worry about the future when it arrives

Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
I drafted Gronk and Hogan in my fantasy league. Putting Hogan in my flex spot tomorrow night.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I drafted Gronk and Hogan in my fantasy league. Putting Hogan in my flex spot tomorrow night.
Hogan should have a huge season....I think he was already going to blow up this season but now with Edelman and Mitchell out he is going to see the most targets of the WR's this season...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or