U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Location: The State Line
2,275 posts, read 3,176,474 times
Reputation: 2608

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think its fair to question the return the Pats received by waiting so long to do a deal they lost any leverage.

A high second rounder beats compensatory pick they would have received when Jimmy walked at the end of the season, I think its clear from everything being written Jimmy had no plans to sign another deal with the Pats...he wants to play...now...not 3 years from now. Can't blame him...

Bad injury?? He had a sprain, could have played again last season if needed. No long term worries. It does make one wonder about his durability though. He got hurt and had to miss time after less than 2 full games...Brady hasn't missed a snap due to injury in 9 seasons and could have been 18 seasons but for the ACL

Brady isn't retiring after this season so there was no chance of keeping Jimmy to take over...

As for being more competitive?? Jimmy has ridden the bench for 4 years with exception of 2 games when Brady was suspended, he doesn't make us any more competitive....

If Brady gets hurt season is over anyway whether Jimmy is here or not...
Agreed but there's a likelihood of resentment/doubt if the season from fans if this season falls short of last season. It's not like they'll think they'll can bounce back next year. They'll be pushing for Brady to retire, and say he should leave onna higher note. Any loss in performance fans will think back to this year's deadline like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,003 posts, read 3,160,222 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
SF released Hoyer.........perhaps he comes returns as the backup.
Hoyer is signing a 3 year deal it seems......welcome back I suppose.

Bill Belichick says Pats working toward signing Brian Hoyer – ProFootballTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 11,066,062 times
Reputation: 11875
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Agreed but there's a likelihood of resentment/doubt if the season from fans if this season falls short of last season. It's not like they'll think they'll can bounce back next year. They'll be pushing for Brady to retire, and say he should leave onna higher note. Any loss in performance fans will think back to this year's deadline like it or not.
What???

What do you mean falls short of last year?? They can't win the SB every year, making the playoffs and a deep run is a successful season by any measure...

As for not "bouncing back next year"

Again...

What????

Did you just start following the Pats this season or something??? They have made the playoffs EVERY year but one that Brady has played...why would anyone think they "wouldn't bounce back". Considering they have the 2nd best record in the NFL and tied for best in AFC not sure what they would be bouncing back from but whatever...

No one is going to be "pushing Brady to retire" do you see any "loss of performance" he's the best QB in football...at age 40....next...

People act as if there was a "choice" to keep Garoppolo...you can't keep 2 starting caliber QB's in the NFL anymore and Jimmy is no dummy...he wants to play....NOW....he wasn't going to sign again with the Pats to ride the bench another 2-3 years...

At the end of the day, one of the 2 QB's was leaving after this season...personally I'm glad Brady is staying another couple of years. Maybe I will regret that if Jimmy turns into the next "Brady" and has a 10-12 year run of excellence but I don't think that's likely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: The State Line
2,275 posts, read 3,176,474 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What???

What do you mean falls short of last year?? They can't win the SB every year, making the playoffs and a deep run is a successful season by any measure...

As for not "bouncing back next year"

Again...

What????

Did you just start following the Pats this season or something??? They have made the playoffs EVERY year but one that Brady has played...why would anyone think they "wouldn't bounce back". Considering they have the 2nd best record in the NFL and tied for best in AFC not sure what they would be bouncing back from but whatever...

No one is going to be "pushing Brady to retire" do you see any "loss of performance" he's the best QB in football...at age 40....next...

People act as if there was a "choice" to keep Garoppolo...you can't keep 2 starting caliber QB's in the NFL anymore and Jimmy is no dummy...he wants to play....NOW....he wasn't going to sign again with the Pats to ride the bench another 2-3 years...

At the end of the day, one of the 2 QB's was leaving after this season...personally I'm glad Brady is staying another couple of years. Maybe I will regret that if Jimmy turns into the next "Brady" and has a 10-12 year run of excellence but I don't think that's likely...
I know it's unreal to win the Superbowl every year, that's the point. He is in a no win position. The reality is as much I am a fan of Brady myself that he is human. He's 40. Every year is going to be scrutinized whether you believe it or not. Because he's not 25, 30 or 35 anymore and everyone's body gradually ages; i.e. injuries more critical, longer recovery, ability to process and carry out things.

I'm not debating whether Jimmy G would've stayed. I already posted my opinion that concurred with yours. No one's going to play intern for several years when their goal is to become a supervisor or manager, and they have opportunities at their door. Regardless of that, you can't think fans aren't thinking about the future and they're hedging all their bets on a 40 year old Quarterback just because wants to play in his mid 40s, and assume nothing could change even in a single year. People can be admire/respect players and still be rational. At some point a player's wants and pride and over-idolization can eventually interfere with the overall teams better interest. Sports is youth driven. The goal is to get younger. Eventually younger players outsmart veterans, even if they're fan favorites. This is history time and time again. (Montana, Favre, etc.) After all, you would not pick the old car, even if it has served you well, to drive all over the country, over a new model. Common sense comes into play at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,862,633 times
Reputation: 2353
I'll say this: when a QB's skills go, they go almost overnight.

Peyton and Favre are the best examples.

At the age of 37 Peyton had one of his best seasons ever. Half way through the next season it was clear Peyton was struggling. Then the following season at the age of 39 it was clear to everyone that he was completely done.

Favre had his greatest season ever at the age of 39. Then the very next season at the age of 40 he had his worst season and was done.

We don't know when Brady will wake up one day and not have it. Will be midseason like 2014 Peyton? Or will it be at the start of a whole new season like Favre's last year?
The end of Brady could begin with the Pats very next game or it may not happen for another 3 years or more. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'll say this: when a QB's skills go, they go almost overnight.

Peyton and Favre are the best examples.

At the age of 37 Peyton had one of his best seasons ever. Half way through the next season it was clear Peyton was struggling. Then the following season at the age of 39 it was clear to everyone that he was completely done.

Favre had his greatest season ever at the age of 39. Then the very next season at the age of 40 he had his worst season and was done.

We don't know when Brady will wake up one day and not have it. Will be midseason like 2014 Peyton? Or will it be at the start of a whole new season like Favre's last year?
The end of Brady could begin with the Pats very next game or it may not happen for another 3 years or more. Who knows.
If Manning did not have that stellar defense, his awful season would stand out even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 04:39 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 11,066,062 times
Reputation: 11875
Would love to see Marty B back in Foxborough...if injury isn't too bad this could be L. Blount all over again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
Reputation: 12484
Strange situation and wonder if we will find out all the details. He is disputing undisclosed injury designation, Packers want to recoup $$$ probably.

Fans, of course, are pointing to the drop off in his play after Aaron went down, no more great blocking, haphazard effort, strange instagram about thinking about retiring, hard to figure.

A few media types who were really high on him and on his bandwagon, say they feel rather foolish right now. These aren't new age guys, I'm talking old school, original print reporters. Something seems very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
Reputation: 12484
And the strange gets stranger, Blue, you called it, Bennett back to the Pats claimed off waivers! Packer fans have been crazy all week, this will really send some over the edge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
 
Location: The State Line
2,275 posts, read 3,176,474 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
And the strange gets stranger, Blue, you called it, Bennett back to the Pats claimed off waivers! Packer fans have been crazy all week, this will really send some over the edge!
The Patriots and fans wanted Bennett to stay, but given they are not big spenders and ate more interested in team friendly contracts (i.e. discount), and his preference for the Midwest, it wasn't working out at the time. Their are some injuries on their offensive line (Chris Hogan), and Bennett's "replacement" Dwayne Allen hasn't been meeting expectations. Not to mention Rob Gronkowski's ability to stay healthy. This is a win for New England and it keeps Bennett employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top