U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-17-2017, 05:41 PM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,270 posts, read 881,321 times
Reputation: 12457

Advertisements

This is some nice work, TAM88. I'd like to make just a couple comments on what is unearthed by this data-crunching of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I was stuck in an airport the other day on a 4 hour delay so I decided to kill the time by breaking down the current run of the Patriots - I used from the 2001 season and onward, so we're in year 17 of their dynasty.

Here are some numbers

Overall record 203 - 62 (won 77% of their games)
Home record 110-23 (won 83% of their games)
Road record 93-39 (won 70% of their games)

Record vs. NFC 54-14 (won 79% of their games)
Record vs. AFC 149-48 (won 76% of their games)

Record vs. NFC East 13-3 (won 81% of their games)
Record vs. NFC North 14-2 (won 88% of their games)
Record vs. NFC South 12-4 (won 75% of their games)
Record vs. NFC West 15-5 (won 75% of their games)

Record vs. AFC East 77-22 (won 78% of their games)
Record vs. AFC North 25-7 (won 78% of their games)
Record vs. AFC South 25-6 (won 81% of their games)
Record vs. AFC West 22-13 (won 63% of their games)

The Patriots have averaged (not including what they've won this year) 12.25 wins per season
The Patriots have averaged (not including what they've won this year) 7.50 wins per season against teams not in the AFC East.

They have played the most number of games against the Indianapolis Colts (obviously they have played more against the Jets, Dolphins ad Bills) at 19 games, followed by the Denver Broncos with 18 games and the Baltimore Ravens with 11 games and the San Diego Chargers with 11 games.
Much is made of the Patriots' success being due to playing in a weak division, but this clearly shows that they're not fattening up against division opponents. Yes, they're running roughshod all over them - but no moreso than they're doing against the rest of the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
They are undefeated against the following teams (including playoffs) over the last 17 seasons:

Dallas Cowboys: 4-0
Atlanta Falcons: 6-0 (1 playoff game)
Minnesota Vikings: 4-0
Detroit Lions: 4-0
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 4-0
Chicago Bears: 4-0
Jacksonville Jaguars: 7-0 (2 playoff games)

They have only 1 loss against the following teams (including the playoffs) over the last 17 seasons:

Houston Texans: 9-1 (2 playoff games)
Washington Redskins: 3-1
Oakland Raiders: 5-1 (1 playoff game)
Cleveland Browns: 6-1
Philadelphia Eagles: 4-1 (1 playoff game)
New Orleans Saints: 3-1
San Francisco 49ers: 3-1
Arizona Cardinals: 3-1
Los Angeles Rams: 4-1 (1 playoff game)
In other words, 16 of the 31 NFL teams (more than half the league) have beaten the Patriots no more than one time since ... before the Texans even existed ... before September 11th ... before the end of the Clinton administration ... before this year's rookies had made it to 1st grade.

Think about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2017, 02:57 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,463 posts, read 1,817,819 times
Reputation: 2410
Because the Giants game went into ot I missed the begining of today’s game on TV,
Did any Patriots take a knee during the Anthem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:18 PM
 
4,985 posts, read 11,055,388 times
Reputation: 11848
Wow, another great complete game effort from the Patriots they certainly look to be the class of the AFC...

They now look like the team everyone thought they would be going into the season....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Because the Giants game went into ot I missed the begining of today’s game on TV,
Did any Patriots take a knee during the Anthem?
who cares
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,270 posts, read 881,321 times
Reputation: 12457
Today Brady moved into a tie with George Blanda for most career touchdown passes thrown after a QB's 40th birthday, with 22. Testaverde has 24, Favre has 36, and Moon leads the pack with 37. For now, anyway. Brady's stats are on pace to somewhat exceed Favre's 2009 season at age 40. That season is easily the best ever by a 40-something QB.

Also today, Belichick won his 271st game as a head coach, moving one game ahead of Tom Landry and into sole possession of 3rd place all time - George Halas is 56 games ahead, and Don Shula has another 20 still. Though Belickick could conceivably catch both, he is getting fairly long in the tooth for an NFL coach at age 65. He's the second-oldest in the league (Pete Carroll is 7 months older) and only five current coaches are even in their sixties. On the other hand, the way the Patriots consistently win 12 regular season games, and almost always win at least one postseason game (in 14 trips to the playoffs in the Brady-Belichick era, they're only gone one-and-done twice), he could conceivably run down Halas by the end of the 2021 season. Like Brady, he's a first-ballot HOF lock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 PM
 
4,985 posts, read 11,055,388 times
Reputation: 11848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Today Brady moved into a tie with George Blanda for most career touchdown passes thrown after a QB's 40th birthday, with 22. Testaverde has 24, Favre has 36, and Moon leads the pack with 37. For now, anyway. Brady's stats are on pace to somewhat exceed Favre's 2009 season at age 40. That season is easily the best ever by a 40-something QB.

Also today, Belichick won his 271st game as a head coach, moving one game ahead of Tom Landry and into sole possession of 3rd place all time - George Halas is 56 games ahead, and Don Shula has another 20 still. Though Belickick could conceivably catch both, he is getting fairly long in the tooth for an NFL coach at age 65. He's the second-oldest in the league (Pete Carroll is 7 months older) and only five current coaches are even in their sixties. On the other hand, the way the Patriots consistently win 12 regular season games, and almost always win at least one postseason game (in 14 trips to the playoffs in the Brady-Belichick era, they're only gone one-and-done twice), he could conceivably run down Halas by the end of the 2021 season. Like Brady, he's a first-ballot HOF lock.
Yeah the amazing thing about that Favre season to me was he had been so bad the season before in New York he looked done...he then bounced back at age 40 with a new team with arguably the best statistical season of his career...

Brady is on pace to likely equal it or like you said somewhat exceed, certainly in yardage at least.....

Still waiting for that "cliff" that Max Kellerman has been advertising for several years now....I suppose if Brady finally hits the wall at 45 Kellerman can then say "See, I told ya"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 AM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,463 posts, read 1,817,819 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
who cares
I think a lot of people do, me for one, that's why NFL
ratings are slipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Southern NH
2,532 posts, read 4,959,192 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Today Brady moved into a tie with George Blanda for most career touchdown passes thrown after a QB's 40th birthday, with 22. Testaverde has 24, Favre has 36, and Moon leads the pack with 37. For now, anyway. Brady's stats are on pace to somewhat exceed Favre's 2009 season at age 40. That season is easily the best ever by a 40-something QB.
And Brady has had a total of 10 games at the age of 40+. At this pace, he'll go pat Moon in the playoffs this year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Southern NH
2,532 posts, read 4,959,192 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I was stuck in an airport the other day on a 4 hour delay so I decided to kill the time by breaking down the current run of the Patriots - I used from the 2001 season and onward, so we're in year 17 of their dynasty.

Here are some numbers

Overall record 203 - 62 (won 77% of their games)
Home record 110-23 (won 83% of their games)
Road record 93-39 (won 70% of their games)

Record vs. NFC 54-14 (won 79% of their games)
Record vs. AFC 149-48 (won 76% of their games)

Record vs. NFC East 13-3 (won 81% of their games)
Record vs. NFC North 14-2 (won 88% of their games)
Record vs. NFC South 12-4 (won 75% of their games)
Record vs. NFC West 15-5 (won 75% of their games)

Record vs. AFC East 77-22 (won 78% of their games)
Record vs. AFC North 25-7 (won 78% of their games)
Record vs. AFC South 25-6 (won 81% of their games)
Record vs. AFC West 22-13 (won 63% of their games)

The Patriots have averaged (not including what they've won this year) 12.25 wins per season
The Patriots have averaged (not including what they've won this year) 7.50 wins per season against teams not in the AFC East.

They have played the most number of games against the Indianapolis Colts (obviously they have played more against the Jets, Dolphins ad Bills) at 19 games, followed by the Denver Broncos with 18 games and the Baltimore Ravens with 11 games and the San Diego Chargers with 11 games.

They are undefeated against the following teams (including playoffs) over the last 17 seasons:

Dallas Cowboys: 4-0
Atlanta Falcons: 6-0 (1 playoff game)
Minnesota Vikings: 4-0
Detroit Lions: 4-0
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 4-0
Chicago Bears: 4-0
Jacksonville Jaguars: 7-0 (2 playoff games)

They have only 1 loss against the following teams (including the playoffs) over the last 17 seasons:

Houston Texans: 9-1 (2 playoff games)
Washington Redskins: 3-1
Oakland Raiders: 5-1 (1 playoff game)
Cleveland Browns: 6-1
Philadelphia Eagles: 4-1 (1 playoff game)
New Orleans Saints: 3-1
San Francisco 49ers: 3-1
Arizona Cardinals: 3-1
Los Angeles Rams: 4-1 (1 playoff game)
Very interesting.
- Brady's record on the road is 70%. Wonder if any QB has ever had a road winning % that high.
- People say that the AFC East is weak, but the Pats have actually done better against other divisions.
- The Atlanta fans must really hate us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I think a lot of people do, me for one, that's why NFL
ratings are slipping.
I highly doubt that. Of course that's what hanging around on an ultra-conservative forum like this one would lead you to believe. I myself watch very little sports, both NFL and anything else, compared to years ago because I cut the cord. I believe this is the case for many people. When you don't watch every game, suddenly you're less interested in the sport overall.

There are options to watch online (legally), but if the game happens to be on locally, the game gets blacked out on sunday ticket online, which means you can't watch at all if you cut the cord. If you're a Patriots fan, you're kind of screwed because they have one of the highest rates of having their game televised, even if you live nowhere near Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top