Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 11:41 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times

Advertisements

I didn't watch the Steelers game but I saw the highlight. Another vicious hit, but again, somewhat similar to the Danny Trevathan hit, the hit was at least delivered in the context of the game.

The Gronk hit still stands out as the worst of any hit I've seen this year because it combines the worst aspects of these hits.

1. It's to the head area. (Schuster and Trevathan hits)

2 It's during a pause in live action where there is excusable reason to make contact with anyone. (Evans hit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Did you watch Steelers Bengals?

Juju Schuster hit on Burfict MUCH worse than the Gronk hit.
I have no dog in this fight.

Disagree 100% with this statement.

Gronk hit a guy when he was down on the ground with his back to him.

Schuster's hit was CLEAN. Everyone knows The issue with Ju-Ju was not the hit, it was the taunting AFTER the hit.

Also, no one feels too bad for Burfict because hate to say he's lying in the bed he made so to speak.

Gronk should be suspended definitely.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I have no dog in this fight.

Disagree 100% with this statement.

Gronk hit a guy when he was down on the ground with his back to him.

Schuster's hit was CLEAN. Everyone knows The issue with Ju-Ju was not the hit, it was the taunting AFTER the hit.

Also, no one feels too bad for Burfict because hate to say he's lying in the bed he made so to speak.

Gronk should be suspended definitely.
Schuster's hit was CLEAN???

Are you serious??

Crown of the helmet to the jaw delivered full speed to a player who never saw it coming...and it was deliberate no doubt. Ed McCaffrey who played WR in the league thought it was one of the dirtiest hits he has seen...

If it was CLEAN why did Schuster get suspended today? Suspensions don't happen for taunting.

Also by Bill's reasoning since White walked off and Burfict was carried off Schuster's hit must have been worse.

Even at Gronk's size "falling" on a guy who is already on the ground results in less trauma than full speed helmet to jaw contact and because it happened in the "flow of the game" doesn't make it less egregious. It was still dirty, intentional and meant to injure....should no more be part of the game than what Gronk did

Force= mass x acceleration

And Bill whether you want to believe it or not precedent DOES matter and the fact that a multigame suspension for an on the field act is EXTREMELY rare ( I think maybe 6 ever?) and are almost always reserved for repeat offenders means Gronk should not have faced multiple games here suspended.

If the NFL wants to change the rules in the future, fine but you can't cherry pick just because it's the Patriots (even though the league tends do that)

Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If the NFL wants to change the rules in the future, fine but you can't cherry pick just because it's the Patriots (even though the league tends do that)
I never mentioned anything about it being the Patriots. A dirty hit is a dirty hit. I agree with you on the whole precedent thing and that is why Gronk only got one game. And why I am again, not surprised but very disappointed. I just wish the league would use common sense here. This is clearly the dirtiest hit of any hit so far this year. I don't think I can break down the elements of the hit that make it so egregious any better than I already did. I really don't know how you can say the Evans hit is equal or may even be worse.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I never mentioned anything about it being the Patriots. A dirty hit is a dirty hit. I agree with you on the whole precedent thing and that is why Gronk only got one game. And why I am again, not surprised but very disappointed. I just wish the league would use common sense here. This is clearly the dirtiest hit of any hit so far this year. I don't think I can break down the elements of the hit that make it so egregious any better than I already did. I really don't know how you can say the Evans hit is equal or may even be worse.
You're clearly worked up about this given the sheer number of posts you have made. What do you think is an appropriate punishment for this?

I also would disagree that this was the dirtiest play. Look at what AJ Green did to Jalen Ramsey. Came from behind and put him in a choke hold and threw him to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LjroRNrxJ0

Old 12-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're clearly worked up about this given the sheer number of posts you have made. What do you think is an appropriate punishment for this?
]
This will be my last post on the topic in this thread. Seeing how this is a Patriots thread I don't want to overtake the whole thread. If anyone wishes to continue discussing maybe post in the Bills thread or the "Why no ejections last night" thread.

I would have thought at least two games is fair. I've heard from opinions range from one game to the rest of the season. With such a wide range of opinion it is obvious nobody would be happy regardless of the end result. But it seems to make sense that two games would have been fair.

Nobody will ever change my mind that this hit was the worst so far this season. As I continue to maintain, it has all the worst ingredients of othese other bad hits. Even the Green take down was at least between two players shoving each other after the play. Heck, Ramsey was definitely the instigator even. White was just lying face down on the ground defenseless. The Green take down of Ramsey looked like a skinny 200lb Green trying to take down a bigger 210 lbs Ramsey. Really didn't do anything at all to Ramsey. Gronk on the other hand k knew exactly where he was going to hit White. Right in the head with all of his 265lbs and metal arm brace.

I'll just keep this in mind should Jerry Hughes do something stupid against a Patriots player or any other opposing player. Worst that can happen is a one game suspension and we'll all be happy with that right? Land a peoples elbow on the back of Brady's head knocking him out for the rest of the game? One game. Move on.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Gronk deserves his 1 game suspension.

The problem I have with the video clips of the hit is they never show the blatant hold on Gronk. His jersey was clearly grabbed in the back and stretched a good foot+. No flag. It's like there's one set of rules for fast skinny wide receivers and a separate set of rules for a 6'7" wide body tight end. Gronk gets mugged on pretty much every play and never gets the calls. Instead, he gets flagged all the time for dubious offensive pass interference calls. If the DB is moving, it's not offensive pass interference.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gronk deserves his 1 game suspension.

The problem I have with the video clips of the hit is they never show the blatant hold on Gronk. His jersey was clearly grabbed in the back and stretched a good foot+. No flag. It's like there's one set of rules for fast skinny wide receivers and a separate set of rules for a 6'7" wide body tight end. Gronk gets mugged on pretty much every play and never gets the calls. Instead, he gets flagged all the time for dubious offensive pass interference calls. If the DB is moving, it's not offensive pass interference.
Yep.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
2 games would have been more appropriate, and loss of one of his numerals from his jersey for 6 months, take the 8 off at mid-field like they did to Chuck Connors in 'Branded'

Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Well now, that was an ugly game. One of the ugliest I've seen in a long time. I can't remember seeing the Pats that listless. And zero 3rd down conversions, first time since 1991 I think. Hopefully it's a one-off, and this wasn't just because Gronk was out. I know plenty of injuries, but that's no excuse for the stinker they put on the field. Brady was off the entire game, no one was open, couldn't run away from Grandpa on the ground. I put this game on the entire team (player & coaches). No way I could single out any one person for blame.

Obviously next weekend is it. If we can beat the Steelers then we're still in the AFC drivers seat. If we don't, and assuming we win one more game to clinch the division, then could this be the same scenario where we end up being away for the AFC Championship game (if we get that far) and more likely than not playing the Steelers at Heinz? Losing to Miami late in the season a couple of years ago IMO cost us a chance at a SB as we lost to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football