U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,962,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'm with you, I don't understand the Romo lovefest, I find him annoying as h3ll. He just comes as across as too smug for me
Nothing against Romo personally but pretty much everyone I talked to just wished he had toned it down on the play interperatations. Definitely different perspective from the usual sportscaster banter so not sure if we are not used to it which is why the negative reaction to his play by play.

Two buddies I was texting during the game both brought up Romo's getting on their nerves.

If we had a decent sports coverage on the radio I really would have switched it on and the tv volume off.

Lifelong Patriots fan here living in Jacksonville and Patriots are my first and only team but I have been pulling for the local team here also since their inception in 95.

The big concern going into the Steelers game was Bortles, when he is hot he is red hot, when he is not the defense has been lucky to bail him out with their tremendous presence.

The Jaguars beat the Steelers but Ben was able to adjust and easily march down that field.

With the Jaguars defense it was surprising after being up 21-0 they let Ben rally back. Bottom line is that the Jaguars won, but if not for the botched onside kick and the Jaguars field goal we would have been looking at a tie going into overtime, but a win is a win.

Right now everyone is going crazy down here in Jacksonville. This is the best the team has looked in years and they are coming off of three years of being in the basement.

The fans are pretty humble and while they remain positive they are aware of the team they face in Foxboro.

There are concerns which Bortles is going to show up but they are confident the Jaguars defense can shake Brady up.

The other notable topic down here is Coughlin's amazing turn around with the Jaguars this year. There is a tremendous feeling that with Coughlin going against Coach B in the past and winning it can some how help the Jaguars get some insight into how to beat the Patriots.

I will be pulling for the Patriots to send Brady to one more and possibly his last Super Bowl appearance.

Go Patriots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,512,204 times
I only heard one person complain about Romo, who also happens to be a Patriots fan. I don't remember having any problems with what Romo said. Did I miss something, or are Patriots fans just upset he gave Tennessee a shot at the start of the game? I was a little surprised by some things he said, but really didn't care one way or the other.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I only heard one person complain about Romo, who also happens to be a Patriots fan. I don't remember having any problems with what Romo said. Did I miss something, or are Patriots fans just upset he gave Tennessee a shot at the start of the game? I was a little surprised by some things he said, but really didn't care one way or the other.
I didn't listen to him against the Titans because I was at the game. But I have thoroughly enjoyed Romo this year. Why shouldn't he give the Titans a shot as a color commentator? He's neutral, yet it's obvious he leans towards the Pats for which I would believe is highly due to Brady and QB love.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:47 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Did I miss something, or are Patriots fans just upset he gave Tennessee a shot at the start of the game?
Many Fans of any team will dislike an announcer for trying to be objective when it is perceived as a 'knock' against their team.

When I was watching the Panthers/Saints game, Aikman was critiquing Bradberry's awful coverage on Thomas one play (it was really bad coverage), and the Panther fans I was with was like "shut up Aikman"....lol

Romo does need to tone it down at times, but give the guy a break...he's a rookie at this and his analysis is much better than many I can remember in the booth.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 AM

As I mentioned in my post above I think that a lot of those watching the games on TV just don't enjoy having the sportscaster making a prediction or interpreting what is going to happen before every play or what type of play should be called. This is somewhat different as far as what the typical sportscaster will comment on. He is spot on with his predictions. I just like looking at the formations myself and try to figure the play......................as a former quarterback it is almost as he is on the field calling the plays himself.

Romo has been getting great reviews since he started and it has been quick to point out his ability to read what is happening on the field, so maybe it might take some time for some of us to warm up to him.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 01-16-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 AM

22,882 posts, read 19,316,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As I mentioned in my post above I think that a lot of those watching the games on TV just don't enjoy having the sportscaster making a prediction or interpreting what is going to happen before every play or what type of play should be called. This is somewhat different as far as what the typical sportscaster will comment on. He is spot on with his predictions. I just like looking at the formations myself and try to figure the play......................as a former quarterback it is almost as he is on the field calling the plays himself.

Romo has been getting great reviews since he started and it has been quick to point out his ability to read what is happening on the field, so maybe it might take some time for some of us to warm up to him.
I don't recall being upset with Romo because he gave the Titans a shot, heck, all teams have a shot in any given game. Maybe it is the way he comments, reading plays before they happen. Most commentators are former QBs and none of them comment like they are in the game. Maybe it is just his style I am not used to. There are moments of dead air with him too. He stops and his co-anchor doesn't (can't?) pick up where Romo left off. I will give him another shot but it's nice to read that it's not just me.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM

22,882 posts, read 19,316,357 times
Notice how the threads of the other teams that are, or were, involved in "The Patriots Invitational Tounament" are all posting new posts but our thread stays quiet for a long time? Lol, for the past 7 years we just sit back and wait and see. Gads, no wonder everybody hates the PATS!

I get sad sometimes when I think of all the Patriots fans who passed before the BBK era. BelichickBradyKraft era. Pats fans have always loved our team through thick and thin and I hope there is football up in heaven.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Notice how the threads of the other teams that are, or were, involved in "The Patriots Invitational Tounament" are all posting new posts but our thread stays quiet for a long time? Lol, for the past 7 years we just sit back and wait and see. Gads, no wonder everybody hates the PATS!

I get sad sometimes when I think of all the Patriots fans who passed before the BBK era. BelichickBradyKraft era. Pats fans have always loved our team through thick and thin and I hope there is football up in heaven.
12 AFC Championships in 17 years. That stat alone is so absolutely insane that us fans, still knowing how difficult it is to get there, pretty much expect it with Brady/Belichick, and we save our conversations for this game and hopefully the next. Everything before it is status quo setup for this time of year.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:56 PM

There were dark times for the Patriots, having to bow out of Monday Night Football because of all the fighting, an old stadium whose toilets used to overflow and all those losing years............and that year we went to the Super Bowl like lambs to slaughter against Chicago.

It has been a whirlwind since Bledsoe and Robert Kraft entered the picture. Things got nothing but better.

I certainly hope this younger generation appreciates how lucky we fans are with this continuing Patriot Dynasty.

All those football fans who are tired of seeing the Patriots winning and would like to see someone else in the Super Bowl are the same fans who would like to see their teams involved in a multi Year dynasty.

With free agents, cap limits, and disgruntled meddling team owners it is one heck of an accomplishment to have had so many conference wins and Super Bowl wins in such a short time by these Patriots.

There is something to be said to have the chemistry the Patriots have amongst the players, owner, coach, assistant coaches and scouts. The ability to find players no other team can and bring life back to those players other teams have cast off speaks volumes of this coach, owner and team.

Let's go Patriots!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 11,057,646 times
So, AFC Championship yet again.

Trying hard not to be overconfident but man is it hard with 10-6 Jacksonville coming to town.

Steelers crapping on themselves in the playoffs is nothing new so that outcome wasn't so surprising I just can't see Jacksonville hanging 30 on the Patriots with THAT offense when no team has been able to break 30 against the Pats since Oct 1.

I listen to the talking heads at NFL network comparing this Jacksonville defense to the 2013-14 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos when 2 teams just hung up 40 on them in the past 3 games....Did that Seahawks D or Broncos D EVER give up 40 during those seasons? Don't think so...

Derrick Henry was supposed to be unstoppable until the Pats stopped him....

I think the Pats have the beef up the middle to stop Fournette and make Bortles try to beat them.

Pats offense with quick passing game hopefully with Burkhead back along with Lewis, White, Amendola and Gronk....don't see Jax stopping the Pats offense if Brady is getting the ball out quick and going up tempo.

There are some good defenses left in the Playoffs and any given Sunday any team can beat another....but seriously with the offenses left in the tournament anything short of another SB Victory for the Pats would be a shocker at this point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or