U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times

Advertisements

Well it seems like many coaches need a second stop on the head coaching circuit before they can really get things going in the NFL. It will be McDaniels second try and Patricia's first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,305,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Thank you very much, mco. I think this is going to be a battle royal! I also think we need a little luck with calls going our way from the refs.

Thanks also to mcowdog, forgot to say that last night.

This has been a wonderful generation to be alive and a Patriots fan! Better late than never!!
How long you been a patriots fan? Since the John Hannah era or since 2007?
Let me guess- Golden State Warriors fan, but Miami Heat before that, and Lakers before THAT?
I meet a lot of long time Patriots fans, and when I say long time I mean since NO earlier than 2001 but most within the last 5 years.

How many patriots fans will there be after Brady and Belechick retire?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM

22,879 posts, read 19,312,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
How long you been a patriots fan? Since the John Hannah era or since 2007?
Let me guess- Golden State Warriors fan, but Miami Heat before that, and Lakers before THAT?
I meet a lot of long time Patriots fans, and when I say long time I mean since NO earlier than 2001 but most within the last 5 years.

How many patriots fans will there be after Brady and Belechick retire?
Huhn??? I have been a Patriots fan since the Babe Perilli, Gino Cappeletti days. Went to my first game in 1963 at Harvard Stadium playing the Houston Oilers for the championship. We won. What's wrong with being a REAL fan pre 2001? Your idea of "long time" is a little askew.

Golden State, Miami Heat, Lakers???? I HATE BASKETBALL. 😝

Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Babe passed last year, I met him years and years ago. Great guy! He was an assistant coach under Red Miller when Red was head coach of the Broncos from 1977 to 1980. He gave the Pats instant credibility in their early years, check out the early records of the team The Oilers won the first 2 AFL championships, Buffalo won the 4th and 5th championships. But the Pats took them to the last couple weeks in pretty much each year. Pats won the 1963 eastern division of the AFL.

Gino? He came out in old school Patriot uniform in game 2 of the 2009 season at Invesco along with Gene Mingo of the Broncos with that gawdawful yellow and brown jersey and the stripe sox. Came out for the coin toss! Gino's only problem was he, like Denver's Lionel Taylor, had no speed. But they were the best possession receivers in the AFL. It's pretty much a fact that Lance Alworth and Don Maynard of the Jets were the best receivers the AFL ever had. Gino and Lionel are in that top 5, along with Art Powell of the Raiders. For a straight on place kicker only George Blanda had better accuracy!

Mingo and Cappelleti traded spots for the first 5 years of the league in regards to leading the league in scoring. And Gino had been associated with the Pats organization nearly a half century, doing radio commentary with play by play man Gil Santos.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Quote:
Huhn??? I have been a Patriots fan since the Babe Perilli, Gino Cappeletti days. Went to my first game in 1963 at Harvard Stadium playing the Houston Oilers for the championship. We won. What's wrong with being a REAL fan pre 2001? Your idea of "long time" is a little askew.

Golden State, Miami Heat, Lakers???? I HATE BASKETBALL. ��
I only go back to 1975 and Steve Grogan. My 1st game attended was the 1st game played at Schaefer, pre season against the Giants in Aug 1971 when I was 11. My football hero back then, Fran Tarkenton. Phil Esposito was my favorite athlete.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:21 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Sounds like you all remember the Patriots of yesteryear then:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/955842679832707072

Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Babe passed last year, I met him years and years ago. Great guy! He was an assistant coach under Red Miller when Red was head coach of the Broncos from 1977 to 1980. He gave the Pats instant credibility in their early years, check out the early records of the team The Oilers won the first 2 AFL championships, Buffalo won the 4th and 5th championships. But the Pats took them to the last couple weeks in pretty much each year. Pats won the 1963 eastern division of the AFL.

Gino? He came out in old school Patriot uniform in game 2 of the 2009 season at Invesco along with Gene Mingo of the Broncos with that gawdawful yellow and brown jersey and the stripe sox. Came out for the coin toss! Gino's only problem was he, like Denver's Lionel Taylor, had no speed. But they were the best possession receivers in the AFL. It's pretty much a fact that Lance Alworth and Don Maynard of the Jets were the best receivers the AFL ever had. Gino and Lionel are in that top 5, along with Art Powell of the Raiders. For a straight on place kicker only George Blanda had better accuracy!

Mingo and Cappelleti traded spots for the first 5 years of the league in regards to leading the league in scoring. And Gino had been associated with the Pats organization nearly a half century, doing radio commentary with play by play man Gil Santos.
I met Gino when he came into my work place one day. I was introduced to him by one of the office workers and we talked about that game as if they had only played it the previous Sunday! He was nice. He said he would send on my regards to Babe. I bet he did. Sad to hear Babe died last year. I used to listen to him and Gil. My #1 radio station, WBZ !! George Blanda he was top notch. Haven't heard his name in decades. Thanks for all that info, HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I only go back to 1975 and Steve Grogan. My 1st game attended was the 1st game played at Schaefer, pre season against the Giants in Aug 1971 when I was 11. My football hero back then, Fran Tarkenton. Phil Esposito was my favorite athlete.
I liked Grogan. I remember how people used to comment about how skinny his neck was! I even liked the guy they sent to LA Raiders. I forget his name at the moment. The only Patriots QB I haven't like is Bledsoe. I used to get picked on by the men in work when I was in the football pool because I was not shy about saying how much I disliked Drew. Ha-ha, got your age now, my daughter was born '71. Tarketon, another great QB. Man, there were some greats pre-Brady, weren't there? Espo? Crushed on him too. To heck with Bobby Orr!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Sounds like you all remember the Patriots of yesteryear then:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/955842679832707072
Ah, the good ole Pats days. Jim Kelly who played for the 49ers? He was another QB I liked.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Quote:
I liked Grogan. I remember how people used to comment about how skinny his neck was! I even liked the guy they sent to LA Raiders. I forget his name at the moment. The only Patriots QB I haven't like is Bledsoe. I used to get picked on by the men in work when I was in the football pool because I was not shy about saying how much I disliked Drew. Ha-ha, got your age now, my daughter was born '71. Tarketon, another great QB. Man, there were some greats pre-Brady, weren't there? Espo? Crushed on him too. To heck with Bobby Orr!
Tarkenton played well before his time. I had never seen anything like his scrambling, and it was decades afterwards before that type of QB started to be in the discussion along with pocket passers.

Dan Marino, Dan Fouts - man, the air assault they put on back in the day. I hated Stabler because the Pats were "screwed" by him and the Raiders. Many other QB's so much fun to watch back in the day.

I assume you are talking about Jim Plunkett traded to the Raiders. I was never much of a fan of his. I didn't dislike Drew, but as great as he was deemed to be I always thought he was missing one puzzle piece to put him over the top and make him the complete QB Brady is.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-24-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 08:31 AM

Yes, metal, Jim Plunkett. Now that you said it, I think "how could I forget?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or