U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,757 posts, read 2,371,487 times
Reputation: 2611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
We prove it year in and year out, that the Brady?Belichick Pats are arguably the greatest generational dynasty in the history of sports. The longevity of this run is unmatched. Teams dream of winning a Super Bowl. The same QB/coach are about to try for their 2nd run at 3 out of 4. Just insane.
Don't you get bored being a Patriots fan? Repeated division championships. Repeated AFC championship games. Where's the thrill like Eagles, Vikings, & Jaguar fans experienced?
The enjoyment is in the peaks after the valleys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 PM
 
Location: The State Line
2,275 posts, read 3,171,759 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Don't you get bored being a Patriots fan? Repeated division championships. Repeated AFC championship games. Where's the thrill like Eagles, Vikings, & Jaguar fans experienced?
The enjoyment is in the peaks after the valleys.
Did the Packers fans get bored with the successes of Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi, et al?

People forget 20+ years ago the Patriots had nothing to look forward to. Who's to say fans didn't know what it was like to be sore losers? Perhaps because of it, there are fans can appreciate it more and not take it for granted.

There may be bandagoners on every successful franchise, but there are plenty of rational Patriot/sports fans that would support the team no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 07:33 PM
 
6,449 posts, read 3,458,717 times
Reputation: 10253
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Don't you get bored being a Patriots fan? Repeated division championships. Repeated AFC championship games. Where's the thrill like Eagles, Vikings, & Jaguar fans experienced?
The enjoyment is in the peaks after the valleys.
Bored? You're kidding, right?

I withstood decades of fandom humiliation with the Patriots sucking. Until the Red Sox won in 2004, the Yankees Evil Empire domination of the AL was brutal. If you think for one second an exhilarating moment and a roller coaster ride even is in the same universe as the 17-year run you're crazy. We Pats fans have the same thrill the Eagles fans are having now, but it's defined totally different. For one on this ride it's an annual thing. The Pats preseason are always picked to be in the hunt, if not favored. Playing for a #1 seed is exciting as anything, and making it to almost 50% of Super Bowls in the era is beyond thrilling. Bored? Ummm, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 PM
 
11,705 posts, read 3,203,729 times
Reputation: 3989
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Bored? You're kidding, right?

I withstood decades of fandom humiliation with the Patriots sucking. Until the Red Sox won in 2004, the Yankees Evil Empire domination of the AL was brutal. If you think for one second an exhilarating moment and a roller coaster ride even is in the same universe as the 17-year run you're crazy. We Pats fans have the same thrill the Eagles fans are having now, but it's defined totally different. For one on this ride it's an annual thing. The Pats preseason are always picked to be in the hunt, if not favored. Playing for a #1 seed is exciting as anything, and making it to almost 50% of Super Bowls in the era is beyond thrilling. Bored? Ummm, no.
I agree with you.

I'm an SF Bay Area native, and I've been a 5 Bay Area team (49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's, and Warriors) plus Lakers fan since the 1960s. I added the Lakers after reading a book for kids about Jerry West.

My dad was a big Bill Russell and K.C. Jones fan, so he loved the Celtics. I sat with him watching the Celtics win championships (sometimes beating the Lakers) for years until the Lakers finally broke through in 1972, and then my 6 teams won 29 championships in 45 years, and hopefully a 30th Championship in 46 years with a Warriors win in June. It never gets old .

I live in the Houston metro, and the Astros, Texans, and Rockets are my #3 teams in each sport. The Astros championship in 2017 was thrilling. I watched every minute of every WS game on television, and I went to the victory parade.

I also was thrilled by the 2004 MLB season. I don't like the Yankees. Couldn't stand Steinbrenner, and didn't like the pain they caused the A's in the postseason.

I am rooting for the Eagles .

I don't want the Pats to pass the 49ers in Super Bowl wins. Some Cowboys fans might share that sentiment.

I like Robert Kraft, but I don't like Belichick or Brady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Meredith NH
1,563 posts, read 2,293,059 times
Reputation: 2839
Go Pats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,879 posts, read 19,308,025 times
Reputation: 21328
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Don't you get bored being a Patriots fan? Repeated division championships. Repeated AFC championship games. Where's the thrill like Eagles, Vikings, & Jaguar fans experienced?
The enjoyment is in the peaks after the valleys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Did the Packers fans get bored with the successes of Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi, et al?

People forget 20+ years ago the Patriots had nothing to look forward to. Who's to say fans didn't know what it was like to be sore losers? Perhaps because of it, there are fans can appreciate it more and not take it for granted.

There may be bandagoners on every successful franchise, but there are plenty of rational Patriot/sports fans that would support the team no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Bored? You're kidding, right?

I withstood decades of fandom humiliation with the Patriots sucking. Until the Red Sox won in 2004, the Yankees Evil Empire domination of the AL was brutal. If you think for one second an exhilarating moment and a roller coaster ride even is in the same universe as the 17-year run you're crazy. We Pats fans have the same thrill the Eagles fans are having now, but it's defined totally different. For one on this ride it's an annual thing. The Pats preseason are always picked to be in the hunt, if not favored. Playing for a #1 seed is exciting as anything, and making it to almost 50% of Super Bowls in the era is beyond thrilling. Bored? Ummm, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree with you.

I'm an SF Bay Area native, and I've been a 5 Bay Area team (49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's, and Warriors) plus Lakers fan since the 1960s. I added the Lakers after reading a book for kids about Jerry West.

My dad was a big Bill Russell and K.C. Jones fan, so he loved the Celtics. I sat with him watching the Celtics win championships (sometimes beating the Lakers) for years until the Lakers finally broke through in 1972, and then my 6 teams won 29 championships in 45 years, and hopefully a 30th Championship in 46 years with a Warriors win in June. It never gets old .

I live in the Houston metro, and the Astros, Texans, and Rockets are my #3 teams in each sport. The Astros championship in 2017 was thrilling. I watched every minute of every WS game on television, and I went to the victory parade.

I also was thrilled by the 2004 MLB season. I don't like the Yankees. Couldn't stand Steinbrenner, and didn't like the pain they caused the A's in the postseason.

I am rooting for the Eagles .

I don't want the Pats to pass the 49ers in Super Bowl wins. Some Cowboys fans might share that sentiment.

I like Robert Kraft, but I don't like Belichick or Brady.
I have withstood almost 2 more decades more than metalman in the "long suffering Patriot fan" category. Bored? Not a chance. "Expecting" is more like it. We are the happiest, proudest fans of any team in any sports. Maybe a touch arrogant too. Just like Celtics fans used to be. Bruins also, to a point. The Red Sox may have only won 2 World Series but they beat those dam*ed Yankees!

Someone earlier was ragging on us Pats fans about how some day (soon) we will go back to being just mediocre. Haven't they been reading the posts??? What have a few of us been saying??? We know that. We accept that. It is inevitable. In the meantime we are enjoying the greatest ride in NFL HISTORY and we will not apologize for being proud of our team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
Reputation: 2353
Brady very well could play at this level till he is 48 or even 50. Nobody knows. I haven't seen a single sign of any slow down in his ability to play the QB position. He looks like the same Brady I've seen since 2010. Could be near the end or could have another 8 years left in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,879 posts, read 19,308,025 times
Reputation: 21328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Brady very well could play at this level till he is 48 or even 50. Nobody knows. I haven't seen a single sign of any slow down in his ability to play the QB position. He looks like the same Brady I've seen since 2010. Could be near the end or could have another 8 years left in him.
That would be amazing! I was looking at Tom Terrific the other day, man, he is aging well! I actually think he looks better now that he is older.

I wonder if he would play that far into life. Would he like retirement? I would bet no. Would he become a party boy and get lazy and fat? Again, I would bet no. IDK what would cause him to retire if his health is good. He said he has "a warrior spirit" inside of him. What do warriors do? They fight until the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
Reputation: 2353
Brady will retire when one of two things happens. His skills decline and he is no longer one of the best QB's in the league. Or his body can no longer take the beatings of the NFL. Again, I haven't seen a single evidence of any sort of decline in skill or health. 2017 Brady looks just as good as 2010,1011, 2012 Brady. I don't watch all Brady's games every year. But at minimum I watch him twice a year and usually 3 or 4 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,151 posts, read 2,194,088 times
Reputation: 2314
Supposedly, Gisele wants him to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top