U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Alright, I'm just gonna put this out there...sacrilegious or not...and maybe I'm alone in my thinking.

I've been following this team since Plunkett was QB, I was 14 when my dad took me to my first game 1n 1976 to see the Pats destroy the Raiders and Grogan was my favorite athlete growing up, that 76 team may have been one of the best and should have been in the SB that year.

I am as excited as always for this upcoming Super Bowl but part of me almost feels guilty over all the success our team has experienced....to the point that while of course I WANT to see the Pats win Sunday I don't think I'll be that upset if they lose....

Maybe its the Puritan Yankee coming out in me that feels like its time for the other shoe to drop?

I don't know...I just know the last 9 times we went to the Super Bowl (OK maybe 8 I don't think even as an ardent Pats supporter that I really thought they had a chance against the Bears) that the week before the game my stomach was in knots just hoping the Pats could pull it off and win this game favored or not...

I guess I feel like there really isn't much left to prove? No one is going to think less of Brady or Belichick at this point they have both cemented their status as GOAT's no matter the outcome...

On the other hand, this does have the feel of a last hurrah of sorts. Brady may want to play until 45 but realistically what's he got left? Maybe 2 years?

Likely new coaches including all 3 Co ordinators and maybe Dante hanging em up again (didn't turn out too well last time HE retired)

Pats will still be good while Brady is there but more Super Bowls? Not so sure with all the changes coming...

I would love to see one last win on the big stage I just don't think I'll be overly upset if they lose....and I think its a real possibility against this Eagles team...
Been a fan since 1975 (15 then). THis team owes me nothing as a fan for the rest of my life, win or lose Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,861,479 times
I agree with you Blue and Metalman. At this point the Pats are playing with house money. Last years Super Bowl victory, in epic fashion too, really sealed the deal as far as ending any sort of debate as to who is the greatest QB of all time. A loss last year would have left the door open for Montana supporters. But at this point, Pats, Belicheck and Brady could literally go 0-4 in the Super Bowl in the next four Super Bowls and nobody would think any lesser of them than they do now.

It's really amazing if you think about it. Brady could easily be going for 8-0 in the Super Bowl if it wasn't for some really unbelievable plays by the Giants. And at the same time he could easily be trying to find his first ring since 2005 if it wasn't for two of the more boneheaded coaching calls in Super Bowl history.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,375,608 times
Anybody watching the Tom vs Time episodes on Facebook Watch? I'm hooked.
I'm torn after watching them because I hate Tom Brady but really like his work ethic & approach on certain things. Pretty motivating. Can't he just switch teams next year to the Bills or Cardinals?

Also, I think he could play until he's 45 . . . if his family lets him. He looks healthier at 40 than most players are at 32.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:56 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,130,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Anybody watching the Tom vs Time episodes on Facebook Watch? I'm hooked.
I'm torn after watching them because I hate Tom Brady but really like his work ethic & approach on certain things. Pretty motivating. Can't he just switch teams next year to the Bills or Cardinals?

Also, I think he could play until he's 45 . . . if his family lets him. He looks healthier at 40 than most players are at 32.
I'm fine if Brady goes to the Bills.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM

So much analysis these past two weeks. Matchups. Legacies. Dark horses. All of that will be meaningless tomorrow night, as all that matters is the game played on the field.

Can the Eagles beat the Patriots? Absolutely. Do I think they will? No I do not.

I truly believe the x-factor in this game is the matchup nightmare known as Gronk. He's a coverage problem. He can be sent out as a decoy. He can play TE or WR, and he can block for Lewis or White. At the end of the day, I believe Gronk on the field is the difference maker.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:32 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
Regardless of what happens tomorrow night, Monday should be an interesting day on social media and various forums. If the Patriots win we'll have to hear about how they only won because Wentz didn't play and their victory is diminished. If they lose people will cheer with glee and trash the Patriots for losing to the Eagles without Wentz.

31-27 Patriots win is my prediction.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 PM

2,270 posts, read 882,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Regardless of what happens tomorrow night, Monday should be an interesting day on social media and various forums. If the Patriots win we'll have to hear about how they only won because Wentz didn't play and their victory is diminished. If they lose people will cheer with glee and trash the Patriots for losing to the Eagles without Wentz.

31-27 Patriots win is my prediction.
The problem with that assertion (and, yeah, if the Eagles lose that will be the excuse) is that it ignores the fact that durability is an asset all its own. Brady is one of the most durable QBs in NFL history, missing only 5% of starts due to injury in his career. That's near the top all time for QBs who have played any significant number of games - he ranks after Favre, Eli and Flacco, and somewhere ahead of Peyton. I think those are probably the top five.

Beyond that, the great teams rise above. The Dolphins went undefeated with backup Morrall starting the majority of the schedule under center. The Giants beat the Bills with Phil Simms out. Hell, the Greatest Show on Turf was laid low by a backup QB named... Tom Brady.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:38 AM

22,888 posts, read 19,327,437 times
[quote=Hulsker 1856;50914942

Beyond that, the great teams rise above. Hell, the Greatest Show on Turf was laid low by a backup QB named... Tom Brady.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that game when Bledsoe got injured was the lowest point of the Pats' season, right? NOT. It's Game Day!!! It's finally here.

GO PATRIOTS!!! Pluck them birds!!

27-21 PATRIOTS

Old 02-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Tough loss. Our defense did not hold up their end of the bargain. Old man time threw up 505, yet only 33 pts on the board. I think Butler must have had the flu (he was reported sick earlier this week). Losing Cooks was huge IMHO.

Eagles earned that win, and no crying poor calls. The catch rule sucks, and lick the Raiders felt with the Tuck Rule, we finally got burned by the catch rule, meaning big questionable call.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 02-04-2018 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,064,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Tough loss. Our defense did not hold up their end of the bargain. Old man time threw up 505, yet only 33 pts on the board. I think Butler must have had the flu (he was reported sick earlier this week). Losing Cooks was huge IMHO.

Eagles earned that win, and no crying poor calls. The catch rule sucks, and luck the Raiders felt with the Tuck Rule, we finally got burned by the catch rule, meaning big questionable call.
Honestly no problems with the calls..

I thought that Ertz TD was definitely a runner crossing the plane...

Bottom line Defense did not show up and a very questionable coaching decision to not play Butler...

He was dressed...he played on Special Teams....Belichick deserves to be taken to task for why he chose not to play Butler because Rowe got roasted...

All in all I kind of saw this coming, I didn't think Pats would have trouble scoring but I was worried about the defense.

Best team won tonight....congrats to the Eagles and their fans well deserved victory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or