U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Honestly no problems with the calls..

I thought that Ertz TD was definitely a runner crossing the plane...

Bottom line Defense did not show up and a very questionable coaching decision to not play Butler...

He was dressed...he played on Special Teams....Belichick deserves to be taken to task for why he chose not to play Butler because Rowe got roasted...

All in all I kind of saw this coming, I didn't think Pats would have trouble scoring but I was worried about the defense.

Best team won tonight....congrats to the Eagles and their fans well deserved victory
Belichick's doghouse is always once for thought. In essence the Pats did have problems scoring today, not finishing off drives with TD's, missed FG and XP. Lots of yards and the points just didn't match that output. Like Gilmore just said, the defense just couldn't get off the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 PM

4,977 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Belichick's doghouse is always once for thought. In essence the Pats did have problems scoring today, not finishing off drives with TD's, missed FG and XP. Lots of yards and the points just didn't match that output. Like Gilmore just said, the defense just couldn't get off the field.
Look the Patriots and Belichick in particular are never going to throw one particular unit under the bus, but this loss is SQUARELY on the defense and it isn't even close...

Over 600 yards of offense and 33 points ( not to mention 4 points worth of missed kicks which is on Special Teams)

The 33 points the Pats scored tonight would have been enough to win EVERY previous Super Bowl in which this current team has participated under Belichick and Brady

The Defense on the other hand only stopped TWO drives all night without giving up points...that's it....every other drive by Philly ended up with points....

When that happens and a starting corner who has played over 90% of all snaps this season is "benched" without any explanation there will be questions and despite Belichick's record those questions are deserved.

Did the Butler benching contribute to the Patriots loss? I think it did...

Will we ever learn WHY Butler was benched? Not likely.....

Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 PM

387 posts, read 146,707 times
Nothing on Brady. The Eagles offense is the real deal. The Vikings couldn't stop them and now the Patriots couldn't stop them. I guess offenses win super bowls.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Look the Patriots and Belichick in particular are never going to throw one particular unit under the bus, but this loss is SQUARELY on the defense and it isn't even close...

Over 600 yards of offense and 33 points ( not to mention 4 points worth of missed kicks which is on Special Teams)

The 33 points the Pats scored tonight would have been enough to win EVERY previous Super Bowl in which this current team has participated under Belichick and Brady

The Defense on the other hand only stopped TWO drives all night without giving up points...that's it....every other drive by Philly ended up with points....

When that happens and a starting corner who has played over 90% of all snaps this season is "benched" without any explanation there will be questions and despite Belichick's record those questions are deserved.

Did the Butler benching contribute to the Patriots loss? I think it did...

Will we ever learn WHY Butler was benched? Not likely.....
Other than a potential illness, unless Butler is gone and he says something down the road we'll never know. And losing Cooks was massive in this game as he was showing how he could go over the top and made those yards turn into more points IMO. None of our other receivers can do that to his degree. And not having a player like Hightower killed us. Yes, for the most part this loss falls mostly on the defense for sure.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
Nothing on Brady. The Eagles offense is the real deal. The Vikings couldn't stop them and now the Patriots couldn't stop them. I guess offenses win super bowls.
No !!! defense win games and New England is lacking in that department. It is a Swiss Cheese defense that stunk up the place, I don't care for the bend but don't break defenses, it came back to haunt them tonight, oh heck Philadelphia just pushed them all over the field.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Other than a potential illness, unless Butler is gone and he says something down the road we'll never know. And losing Cooks was massive in this game as he was showing how he could go over the top and made those yards turn into more points IMO. None of our other receivers can do that to his degree. And not having a player like Hightower killed us. Yes, for the most part this loss falls mostly on the defense for sure.
I guess we can agree to disagree...

I don't see how the Cooks injury hurt them at all....Brady had his way with the Philly defense the whole game until that strip sack with 2 minutes left.....more offense wasn't what they needed...more defense is what they needed....Hogan more than made up for Cooks

Not being able to make ANY 3rd down stops, making Foles look like a HOF QB, no pressure the ENTIRE game on the QB...Philly offense went up and down the field all night

33 (should have been 37) points will win 95% of all NFL games....

Yeah having Hightower would have helped but we lost him months ago, the defense just didn't show up and there were multiple questionable coaching decisions including sitting Malcolm and putting Rowe on Agholor instead of Gilmore in the first half...

Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I guess we can agree to disagree...

I don't see how the Cooks injury hurt them at all....Brady had his way with the Philly defense the whole game until that strip sack with 2 minutes left.....more offense wasn't what they needed...more defense is what they needed....Hogan more than made up for Cooks

Not being able to make ANY 3rd down stops, making Foles look like a HOF QB, no pressure the ENTIRE game on the QB...Philly offense went up and down the field all night

33 (should have been 37) points will win 95% of all NFL games....

Yeah having Hightower would have helped but we lost him months ago, the defense just didn't show up and there were multiple questionable coaching decisions including sitting Malcolm and putting Rowe on Agholor instead of Gilmore in the first half...
We're not really disagreeing, as my last post did say mostly defense was at fault. But Brady himself said they didn't score enough points in answering a question about all the yards they had.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
We're not really disagreeing, as my last post did say mostly defense was at fault. But Brady himself said they didn't score enough points in answering a question about all the yards they had.
Technically that's true....you have to score more points than the other team to win.

But Brady would have said the same thing even if the Eagles scored 87 points ( which they could have if the game went longer) because he will NEVER throw his defense under the bus...

Doesn't make it necessarily true....

Pats only got the ball 3 times in the second half....each possession ended in a TD...

The last 4 Pats possessions ended in TD's....all after Cooks got hurt

There is NOTHING Cooks could have added to that game...

Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 AM

11,057 posts, read 3,753,160 times
Defense lost the game for the PATS.....they didn't make any key stops in the second half especially in the 4th quarter when the Pats took the lead.

With 2 weeks of preparation Pats "D" looked awful.......that's on coaching.

PATS D looked like the Steelers D.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:17 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Talking to my buddy just before the game and i noted how the Pats seems to always play tight in the Super Bowl.. more specifically the offense plays tight and the defense always seems to pull them through... not last night.. total switcharoo. Offense looked great, defense looked terrible... regardless, wont hurt their legacy or dynasty much at all. 8 SB trips in 15 or so years.. not a bad run (to be continued...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or