U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times

Advertisements

Not playing Butler was completely idiotic. Short of him committing a felony in the week leading up to the game, there's no excuse for not playing him in that game last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Coach B is going to do what he feels is best for the team.........I think it was a great game. We can't win the dance every year and Foles, Blount and Jayi were incredible. The rushing yards and Foles airing it out were near perfection.

The Eagles had the chemistry this year and it showed.

Patriots have been doing fantastic each year with the plug and play, between injuries, and trades the Pat's have managed to stay in the game picking up players and making it work.

Blount, Welker, Long, and the rest are going to chase the money and that is their right. Coach B adjusts and gets us to the dance. The Patriots have nothing to be ashamed of, this years Eagles stars were aligned and their coach played to win right out the gate.............definitely was not afraid to put it all out there.

Great game, as a Pat's fan I have nothing to complain about we lost on a wild fast paced night of foortball.

Again the defense and offense have nothing to be ashamed of. There is nothing to be looking for in this loss except for maybe healthy players and having to plug and play so many players to find consistency this season put us at a bit of a disadvantage.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
It is what it is folks - I was at the Pats Seahawks, Falcons, and now the Eagles SB. We played and stayed competitive and like in all the other great match ups it came down to one play - had the strip fumble not occured we would have won that game.

I don't know what Butler did or didn't do - but it was mishandled bottom line, and that falls on the coaching staff. He could have played, turned around one of the dozen or so 3rd down conversions. Anyway folks - you can't win them all and there's no value in lamenting over it - where on the other side of it now, it was a nice surprise the Pats got back to defend and that's the way I look at it - still the best team and franchise for the the last 20 years.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM

6,439 posts, read 3,451,927 times
My takeaways after last night:
  • The defense has been a liability, mainly because of it's makeup, meaning even with Hightower we did not have the D-Line that pressured the QB and broke down the pocket. All QB's all year had time to work.
  • Tom Brady is simply remarkable. And I say that regardless of his age.
  • The Malcolm Butler benching was curious to say the least. We still don't know the why, but based on how the defense was getting shredded in the Super Bowl, not putting him in raises the bar on the decision.
  • I will not sit here and say this is the end of the dynasty at this point. We just lost IN THE SUPER BOWL. We did not go 0-16 in the season. When we miss the playoffs then I'll say the dynasty is over and we're rebuilding.
  • The loss does nothing to my feelings about the New England Patriots. The run we have witnessed as fans is unmatched in sports. Achieving the level of excellence over such a long period has been nothing short of amazing.
  • I can not point to any particular play that was the difference between winning or losing. Clements TD IMHO was not a TD, and that's the only controversy I can come up with. We played from behind the entire night thanks to #1 above.
  • Despite Brady's stats, some of his throws in the first half were terrible, behind receivers and wobbling. Not scoring TD's in the red zone was big in the 1st half, and coupling that with the kicking game leaving 4 points behind didn't help matters.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 AM

4,881 posts, read 3,971,953 times
I am not a Patriot fan. But give some credit to the Offensive line. Each game, the Eagles shredded their opponent's offensive lines, rushed QBs, sacked them, forced them into throw-aways. Brady stayed calm and collected and the only fumble/knockdown came on a front side missed tackle. For the most part, the O-Line did their job.

Last year, they got beaten badly in the first half by the Falcons left side. Last night, they held their own.
It was a close game and they were in it right up to the end.
The Patriots Lost to a team that outplayed them. They are still a great team.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM

22,851 posts, read 19,286,589 times
I have had it. Not with the Patriots, the officiating. The Eagles should have had at LEAST 7 less points than what was on the scoreboard. As Chris Collingsworth said a couple of times after the officials GAVE the Eagles a td, "I can't believe it!" I am skeptical about the second td the officials ruled as a td but I cetainly don't know all the rules like you guys do.

Brady sucked in the first half. I kept yelling "put the bandage back on!!" Gronk wasn't catching like he usually does. Amendola was spot on. WHY not throw more to him?

The Defense....what can I say??? They couldn't stop a wet noodle except for twice in the game. What was with Gostowski and the place holder?? I cheered when Philly didn't make it but had been confident in Gostowski.

I have to admit Foles' td was a thing of beauty. Brady sucked at that too. Philly took the Pats' play and used it against them perfectly. Foles gets in the books as 1st ever QB to score a td. Good for him.

IDK about coaching either. Just have to wonder why Butler, who has been a big part of all our games, was sidelined.

I know nobody wants to even think or admit this.....I think the fix was in. Just like all the haters have been whining about, they wanted to see a change from us, so they got it. Please don't call me an a_hole for speaking out loud, because so many sports outcomes have historically been proven to be rigged, it could still be possible.

I hated the game but it was almost as good as last year's "Wicked Comeback". I loved seeing Foles get that td.

Oh well, maybe there is next year.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM

272 posts, read 115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Technically that's true....you have to score more points than the other team to win.

But Brady would have said the same thing even if the Eagles scored 87 points ( which they could have if the game went longer) because he will NEVER throw his defense under the bus...

Doesn't make it necessarily true....

Pats only got the ball 3 times in the second half....each possession ended in a TD...

The last 4 Pats possessions ended in TD's....all after Cooks got hurt

There is NOTHING Cooks could have added to that game...
Oh well. Maybe next year

Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have had it. Not with the Patriots, the officiating. The Eagles should have had at LEAST 7 less points than what was on the scoreboard. As Chris Collingsworth said a couple of times after the officials GAVE the Eagles a td, "I can't believe it!" I am skeptical about the second td the officials ruled as a td but I cetainly don't know all the rules like you guys do.

Brady sucked in the first half. I kept yelling "put the bandage back on!!" Gronk wasn't catching like he usually does. Amendola was spot on. WHY not throw more to him?

The Defense....what can I say??? They couldn't stop a wet noodle except for twice in the game. What was with Gostowski and the place holder?? I cheered when Philly didn't make it but had been confident in Gostowski.

I have to admit Foles' td was a thing of beauty. Brady sucked at that too. Philly took the Pats' play and used it against them perfectly. Foles gets in the books as 1st ever QB to score a td. Good for him.

IDK about coaching either. Just have to wonder why Butler, who has been a big part of all our games, was sidelined.

I know nobody wants to even think or admit this.....I think the fix was in. Just like all the haters have been whining about, they wanted to see a change from us, so they got it. Please don't call me an a_hole for speaking out loud, because so many sports outcomes have historically been proven to be rigged, it could still be possible.

I hated the game but it was almost as good as last year's "Wicked Comeback". I loved seeing Foles get that td.

Oh well, maybe there is next year.
There's no fix man - come on...don't given in to that. The two TDs that were reviewed, were good calls - there wasn't enough to over turn outside of some far off remote 0.0001% interpretation of the rule. Coaching blew it. They didn't match up Jefferies properly, Rowe WAS shutting him down when we was on him - why on earth they didn't put him on him like glue the whole game - who knows. The Eagles made one more play (the strip fumble) than we did (yes I am a Pats fan and been to the last 4 SBs including this one). Not playing Butler - would have stopped one of the dozen or so 3rd down conversions. We are now on the other side of the "one play that wins it all" - folks, the Pats were AMAZING they made it to back to back super bowls - we got 3 out of the last 4 wins that we were in - yes it sucks, but that's what makes the NFL great - when you WIN it's a high, and yes it sucks when you lose - chin up in both scenarios - let's not do this stupid conspiracy BS. Eagles made +1 play better than us - they deserved it.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
I too was shocked they didn't over turn the first one to Clements. Seemed to be enough evidence of a bobble and then not getting both feet in again after. The second one to Ertz looked like a sure TD.

While it's maybe not exactly fair that the NFL would all of a sudden change what they consider a catch in the playoffs (maybe because of fans being sick of great plays being reduced to nothing?) after consistently overturning TDs in the regular season I do hope that this is a sign that starting next season we might get rid of the dumb "bobble" rule in completing a catch.

As I've said a few time now recently, we had instant replay and high def TV's 5-10 years ago and we never had anywhere near so much controversy of catch/no catch rulings. The NFL needs to review how those catches were ruled 5-10 years ago and get back to calling them the same way.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:

I won't call you an a_hole but care to provide some positive evidence of this claim? In the NFL specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or