U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM
 
6,454 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Reputation: 10253

Advertisements

I'll say it again. This game was not lost due to a controversial call by the refs, or one particular play on the field, or for the game being rigged. The Ertz catch was absolutely a TD every time - he was a runner. The Clements TD grab was questionable, but after seeing the replay I didn't see irrefutable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Butler was a questionable decision by Belichick for which we may never know the why, but there's no proof Malcolm would have been the difference between winning and losing, as he was not a shut down stellar corner this year despite his playing time. He got burned plenty this year. Patricia did not have this defense ready to play, no way. We can explain Brady getting 505 because he's Brady. But allowing Foles and that offense to put up 500 yds in the Super Bowl was inexcusable.

Look, despite all of the offensive stats, critical points were left on the field without being able to punch home those 1st half drives but instead settling for FG attempts. And missing a FG and XP was huge leaving 4 pts off the field there too. At the end of the day, as typical with the Pats, we started off slow and played from behind the entire game. This team has miracle'd it's ass to win Super Bowls, and lost two due to "luck" or whatever. This game felt like an earned loss because the defense had nothing. They couldn't tackle a tacking dummy. After all the ugliness on defense Brady still puts them in the lead in the 4th, yet the D says no thanks Tom, try again. And granted it was a hail mary but he had one last chance, against one of, if not the top, defense in the league.

Hats of to the Eagles as they were aggressive all 60 minutes on offense. They took chances, and they hit on them. If they had missed a play and lost they'd be called losers. So be it - can't expect continuous comebacks time and time again. We were playing the #1 seed in the NFC, Wentz or not. Little margin for error, and we failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,880 posts, read 19,312,220 times
Reputation: 21328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
There's no fix man - come on...don't given in to that.
That's your opinion. I have a right to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I too was shocked they didn't over turn the first one to Clements. Seemed to be enough evidence of a bobble and then not getting both feet in again after. The second one to Ertz looked like a sure TD.

While it's maybe not exactly fair that the NFL would all of a sudden change what they consider a catch in the playoffs (maybe because of fans being sick of great plays being reduced to nothing?) after consistently overturning TDs in the regular season I do hope that this is a sign that starting next season we might get rid of the dumb "bobble" rule in completing a catch.

As I've said a few time now recently, we had instant replay and high def TV's 5-10 years ago and we never had anywhere near so much controversy of catch/no catch rulings. The NFL needs to review how those catches were ruled 5-10 years ago and get back to calling them the same way.
Yes, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I won't call you an a_hole but care to provide some positive evidence of this claim? In the NFL specifically.
No. Do you want to provide evidence it isn't? I won't call you one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'll say it again. This game was not lost due to a controversial call by the refs, or one particular play on the field, or for the game being rigged. The Ertz catch was absolutely a TD every time - he was a runner. The Clements TD grab was questionable, but after seeing the replay I didn't see irrefutable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Butler was a questionable decision by Belichick for which we may never know the why, but there's no proof Malcolm would have been the difference between winning and losing, as he was not a shut down stellar corner this year despite his playing time. He got burned plenty this year. Patricia did not have this defense ready to play, no way. We can explain Brady getting 505 because he's Brady. But allowing Foles and that offense to put up 500 yds in the Super Bowl was inexcusable.

Look, despite all of the offensive stats, critical points were left on the field without being able to punch home those 1st half drives but instead settling for FG attempts. And missing a FG and XP was huge leaving 4 pts off the field there too. At the end of the day, as typical with the Pats, we started off slow and played from behind the entire game. This team has miracle'd it's ass to win Super Bowls, and lost two due to "luck" or whatever. This game felt like an earned loss because the defense had nothing. They couldn't tackle a tacking dummy. After all the ugliness on defense Brady still puts them in the lead in the 4th, yet the D says no thanks Tom, try again. And granted it was a hail mary but he had one last chance, against one of, if not the top, defense in the league.

Hats of to the Eagles as they were aggressive all 60 minutes on offense. They took chances, and they hit on them. If they had missed a play and lost they'd be called losers. So be it - can't expect continuous comebacks time and time again. We were playing the #1 seed in the NFC, Wentz or not. Little margin for error, and we failed.
Again, that is your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

Goodbye until if or when the Pats are in the hunt again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No. Do you want to provide evidence it isn't? I won't call you one either.
You are the one making the claim. Shouldn't the onus be on you to provide just one bit of evidence of the game being rigged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,689,176 times
Reputation: 1614
This is how most people see the Patriots as this is from a Saturday Night Live sketch





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcziw7helVg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,977 posts, read 3,961,954 times
Reputation: 3088
We lost the Super Bowl in a great matchup. Both teams came out at a furious pace as the yardage showed.

Young gun playing against an old gun who can still throw like a young MVP.

It is amazing listening to all the talking heads today (sportscasters).

These were the Patriots........the most hated team who have had a such successful dynasty that was despised by a lot of fans. They wanted, begged and prayed for other teams to knock the Pat's off the top.

Now these same fans and sportscasters are looking for answers and someone to pin the blame on for the Patriots loss.

We lost in a great matchup and to a coach who was much like Coach B.......not afraid to go for it.

As I mentioned in other posts year after year the Patriots find a way to the big game. We have lost and come back and won the next year a few years later.

Where is Denver, Carolina, Atlanta and Seattle the next year after their Super Bowl appearances. I will gladly take an AFC Championship each year for a ticket to the big game........win or lose.

The Patriots can't always win the SB but they have given their fans a multi year run like no other team has and I am happy with that.

Again, great dueling offenses last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
 
6,454 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Reputation: 10253
The more I'm reading, Butler's issues are on Butler. The only mistake Belichick made was dressing Butler at all. When the defense failed miserably people saw Butler dressed on the sidelines and questioned why not play him. If the Pats defense hadn't sucked so bad this issue would have never come up. In hindsight, Butler blew it totally, and Belichick should have simply made him a healthy scratch. In Bill We Trust. Look at the history - anyone who questions that doesn't know history, or understands it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The more I'm reading, Butler's issues are on Butler. The only mistake Belichick made was dressing Butler at all. When the defense failed miserably people saw Butler dressed on the sidelines and questioned why not play him. If the Pats defense hadn't sucked so bad this issue would have never come up. In hindsight, Butler blew it totally, and Belichick should have simply made him a healthy scratch. In Bill We Trust. Look at the history - anyone who questions that doesn't know history, or understands it.
Well now I am going to have to search google to see what Butler did in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,765,793 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We lost the Super Bowl in a great matchup. Both teams came out at a furious pace as the yardage showed.

Young gun playing against an old gun who can still throw like a young MVP.

It is amazing listening to all the talking heads today (sportscasters).

These were the Patriots........the most hated team who have had a such successful dynasty that was despised by a lot of fans. They wanted, begged and prayed for other teams to knock the Pat's off the top.

Now these same fans and sportscasters are looking for answers and someone to pin the blame on for the Patriots loss.

We lost in a great matchup and to a coach who was much like Coach B.......not afraid to go for it.

As I mentioned in other posts year after year the Patriots find a way to the big game. We have lost and come back and won the next year a few years later.

Where is Denver, Carolina, Atlanta and Seattle the next year after their Super Bowl appearances. I will gladly take an AFC Championship each year for a ticket to the big game........win or lose.

The Patriots can't always win the SB but they have given their fans a multi year run like no other team has and I am happy with that.

Again, great dueling offenses last night.
nicely said - I'm beginning to realize the whiners are the ones who most likely never played competitive sports at any real level and learned the lessons of winning/losing gracefully. Seems like they grew up in the "everyone gets a trophy" era and can't handle defeat properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 06:35 AM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,689,176 times
Reputation: 1614
When you think about it, Brady blew the game as he dropped that wide-open pass along fumbled the football(swiped) from his throwing hand as that would have been the winning difference(10-14 points), can't make mistakes Tom as that cost your team the game along with a lousy defensive performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 07:07 AM
 
6,454 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Reputation: 10253
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
When you think about it, Brady blew the game as he dropped that wide-open pass along fumbled the football(swiped) from his throwing hand as that would have been the winning difference(10-14 points), can't make mistakes Tom as that cost your team the game along with a lousy defensive performance.
No, he didn't. In that case blame the refs for no penalty on the Cooks hit, allowing the Clements TD to stand, to PI on Hogan on the Hail Mary.

Defense stopped nothing. The loss is pretty much on their shoulders on this one. The Eagles made the one play one of those defenses needed to win the game, not the Patriots. The lack of a pass rush which we have endured for a long time now caught up to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top