U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,766,683 times

Advertisements

I knew the Pats were going to have a tough game vs the Steelers since the league came out with the 2018 schedule....The Steelers after getting beat up by the Pats for years, were waiting for this one....add that the Steelers lost 3 in a row, you knew they had to have this game to stay alive in the playoffs and their defense came to play.

Pats will finish 11-5....#2 or #3 seed.......Texans have to go to Philly and win to keep the #2 seed and that's not easy because they are also inconsistent on the road. I will take the Eagles over the Texans right now.

Chiefs can have the #1 seed, any team in the AFC can come to Kansas and beat them in the playoffs including the Ravens.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-16-2018 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 PM

Looking at the Eagles spanking the Rams........there is a good possibility that the Patriots will finish 11-5 and take the #2 seed and probably play at home in the playoffs since the #1 Chiefs can lose at home in the playoffs.

Texans have the #2 seed now and have to go to Philly next week and this Eagles team looks way different with Foley at QB.

The whole NFL is upside down.....Patriots still in good position....LMAO!!!!

Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Brady is losing it. I saw him overthrow his target three straight times to close that game. This is on top of watching him overthrow guys earlier in the game, and watching him attempt to throw the ball away, but not have the strength to get it outta bounds and threw the pick to Haden instead...

This entire season is on tape to show Brady is clearly slipping. Still better than most of the rest, and he isn't having the sharp drop the Manning brothers had, but this can't be denied anymore. This is an entire season worth of evidence. Never been an entire year of evidence to point to before...

I'm not focused on this year, clearly this team isn't good enough to win a championship this year. My concern for NE is they have no succession plan at QB. They need one and they need one fast. Brady showed obvious signs of slow deterioration in 2018. This is not gonna magically reverse itself in 2019. I know guys are gonna say "we've heard this before" but again, I'd say yeah, people piled on for years if Tom had a bad game or two and called it the end. This isn't a bad game or two anymore. The pocket awareness and arm have been glaringly on display as being in decline this entire season. This is a first for Tom Brady. He'll be 42 next year and going into Year 20, the organization better start preparing for the future, because next year could bring the end closer at an accelerated pace...

Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Brady is losing it. I saw him overthrow his target three straight times to close that game. This is on top of watching him overthrow guys earlier in the game, and watching him attempt to throw the ball away, but not have the strength to get it outta bounds and threw the pick to Haden instead...

This entire season is on tape to show Brady is clearly slipping. Still better than most of the rest, and he isn't having the sharp drop the Manning brothers had, but this can't be denied anymore. This is an entire season worth of evidence. Never been an entire year of evidence to point to before...

I'm not focused on this year, clearly this team isn't good enough to win a championship this year. My concern for NE is they have no succession plan at QB. They need one and they need one fast. Brady showed obvious signs of slow deterioration in 2018. This is not gonna magically reverse itself in 2019. I know guys are gonna say "we've heard this before" but again, I'd say yeah, people piled on for years if Tom had a bad game or two and called it the end. This isn't a bad game or two anymore. The pocket awareness and arm have been glaringly on display as being in decline this entire season. This is a first for Tom Brady. He'll be 42 next year and going into Year 20, the organization better start preparing for the future, because next year could bring the end closer at an accelerated pace...

nah, I don't see it. The whole NFL is inconsistent especially on the road.

Brees looked bad on the road against the Cowboys
Ben looked bad on the road.
Goff has looked bad the last 2 weeks. 6 INT's in the last 2 games.

I knew Pats were going to have a very tough game because they have beat the Steelers many times in a row and the Steelers wanted revenge from last year and they were coming from a 3 games losing streak and they were playing with their season on the line and they have pride.....very tough to beat a team in their backyard when they have their season on the line. Steelers are too talented to lose 4 in a row.

Pats will finish 11-5, win the division and I think they will end up with the #2 seed and a bye and at least a playoff game at home. Pats are different at home. I think the Pats will play in the AFC championship.

The reason I say Pats will end up with the #2 seed and a bye is I don't think the Texans can go to Philly and win next week and the Pats have 2 easy games at home. That's my bet.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I knew Pats were going to have a very tough game because they have beat the Steelers many times in a row and the Steelers wanted revenge from last year and they were coming from a 3 games losing streak and they were playing with their season on the line and they have pride.....very tough to beat a team in their backyard when they have their season on the line. Steelers are too talented to lose 4 in a row.

Pats will finish 11-5, win the division and I think they will end up with the #2 seed and a bye and at least a playoff game at home. Pats are different at home. I think the Pats will play in the AFC championship.

The reason I say Pats will end up with the #2 seed and a bye is I don't think the Texans can go to Philly and win next week and the Pats have 2 easy games at home. That's my bet.
You're focused on a game. I'm talking about Brady's body of work for the entirety of 2018. He's losing it...

I'd be surprised to see them in the Super Bowl, but I wouldn't be surprised to see then in the AFC Championship. There isn't an unbeatable team on either side of the bracket, but the only team I believe they can't beat right now is the LA Chargers. Everyone else, I could see New England beating...

Old 12-17-2018, 04:04 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,228,367 times
odd Game, definitely some kinks in the armor. Tons of flags on the Pats but not egregious flags.. mostly pre snap and offensive holding penalties. Usually attributed to a team not playing well on offense, which by all accounts they were not. Still my biggest concern if i were a Pats fan would be the defense and not the offense. The defense, despite only giving up 17 points, simply could not stop the Steelers run game. The Steelers got the ball inside the 5 yard line with a 4 point lead and 7 minutes or so left and they run the clock down to 2 min and kick a FG.. mostly on the ground? That is not good, that's not good at all.

They have 2 games left at home (Buffalo, Jets) which should allow them to right the ship and even if they do no get that first round bye.. A wild card game at home vs the Ravens, Colts or Titans could be a nice warm up for a playoff run... Assuming thats the scenario then they would head to Houston in the Div round and i like their chances there as well. Then the AFC Champ either in KC or at home vs the Chargers... that's how i see it playing out..

Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,861,479 times
You have to go all the way back to the 2013 season to find a season where Brady did not finish in the top 5 in Qb Rating. I think he finished with a QB rating of 87 that year and around 17th in the league. He's currently 12th in the league. That is on the upswing though from where he was ranked a month or so ago.

Both the Jets and the Bills are playing better football since their rookie QBs came back from injury. I'm sure both teams will want to give it their best against a hated division rival so I wouldn't be shocked if we see an upset from either team.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Quote:

The way the Pats are playing nothing will be easy, at home or not. Sure we're undefeated at home, but still no warm and fuzzies about this team.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The way the Pats are playing nothing will be easy, at home or not. Sure we're undefeated at home, but still no warm and fuzzies about this team.

you can say that about every team in the AFC that is left. Chargers (the hottest team in the NFL) lost to the Broncos a few weeks ago and if they lose to the Ravens on Saturday the narrative will change about them. The whole NFL is inconsistent and every team has holes and the narrative varies by week.

It's hard to make the SB every year. You have a bullseye on your back every year with a tough schedule against the top teams and even the average teams raise their games because they are playing the Patriots. Even with all that the Pats could finish the season with 11-5, win the division for the 10th time in a row and take a bye and the #2 seed and they play way better at home.......I say they have a good chance to make the AFC Championship game.

Pats need that bye.......and it comes down to Texans going to Philly and beating the Foles' Eagles in that cold weather. Eagles still think they can take the last spot in the playoffs from the Vikings, so they will play to win and they play better when Foles is their QB.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:28 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Quote:
you can say that about every team in the AFC that is left. Chargers (the hottest team in the NFL) lost to the Broncos a few weeks ago and if they lose to the Ravens on Saturday the narrative will change about them. The whole NFL is inconsistent and every team has holes and the narrative varies by week.

It's hard to make the SB every year. You have a bullseye on your back every year with a tough schedule against the top teams and even the average teams raise their games because they are playing the Patriots. Even with all that the Pats could finish the season with 11-5, win the division for the 10th time in a row and take a bye and the #2 seed and they play way better at home.......I say they have a good chance to make the AFC Championship game.

Pats need that bye.......and it comes down to Texans going to Philly and beating the Foles' Eagles in that cold weather. Eagles still think they can take the last spot in the playoffs from the Vikings, so they will play to win and they play better when Foles is their QB.
The Pats are playing in a way we are not accustomed to seeing this late in the year. The offense is out of sorts. Can't put my finger on it, but the chemistry seems out of sorts. Any given Sunday works for all teams, but to the eye test, the Pats are playing like a .500 team while the other teams are maybe missing a couple of plays to contribute to a loss. I've seen only glimpses of the "old" Pats recently, and the one thing we are doing that the better teams are not is playing consistently mediocre for 60 seconds. Saying that this deep into the season generally doesn't bode well. Also right now, it seems the Mahomes and Rivers of the world appear to be able to push the offense much better than Brady has.

I think it's a lot to do with the coaching. The play calling has been suspect. Utilization of players has been suspect. And the players are not executing like a well-coached team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or