U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,059,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I'm afraid? LOL.....No, I think you get hysterical by just 2 games that the PATS lost on the road in very close games. Pats are fine.......if you thought the Pats were going to blow everybody this season and finish 16-0, 15-1 or 14-2 and keep beating the Steelers over and over every year and that the Steelers wouldn't respond with their season on the line at home then you are naive.

By the way, the Pats are the ONLY team undefeated at home in the NFL something you ignore......that means if they get the #2 seed and a bye, there is a strong possibility they make the AFC championship game. That means the only team they have to go on the road in the playoffs is against Kansas City if the Chiefs makes it that far and even the Chiefs are vulnerable at home.......see how is not all bad for the PATS like you put it.

you take 1 portion of the season and ignore the whole season and record as a whole and the playoff spot and then label teams "mediocre". My issue with you is not your "criticism" of the Pats, every team has their holes and are inconsistent. My issue with you it's your use of the word "mediocre"

In the last 6 games, Rams are 3-3, .500. Are they a mediocre team? won the division and have the #2 seed.

Bears were 3-3 , .500 in their first 6 games. Are they mediocre team? won the division and have the #3 seed. (Pats beat the Bears in Chicago, when no other team has) so I guess both teams according to you are mediocre.

if the Pats finish 11-5, wins the division (10th time in a row), takes the #2 seed and a bye and makes it to the AFC championship game (8th in a row) I hardly call that a "mediocre" team? I call that a historic run which the Pats have been for over 8 years.
You make some really excellent points hear...

Great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,059,836 times
Read an interesting theory today on Brady that makes a lot of sense and would explain some of the issues with his throws being off and his recent propensity for falling to his left as he throws

One of the national NFL writers went back to the film from the Titans game and has a great shot of the hit Brady took on his lone reception of the season. It certainly looks from the photo he posted that Brady likely tore or at least sprained the MCL of his left knee..

That was the same week Brady showed up on the injury report and started missing some practice time....

Doesn't explain the brain fart 1st half against the Dolphins but it would explain why he couldn't get enough on the ball that Haden picked.

Would also explain why he suddenly just collapsed to the turf in the Dolphins game after the Gronk TD throw, didn't get hit knee just buckled....

This being the Patriots we will likely never know for sure but Brady has played through significant injuries before and no-one knew outside the team.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,765,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Let's agree to disagree and move on.

On To the Bills.
deep inside you know I'm right.

Best Scenario for the Pats:

Pats 3-5 record on the road doesn't mean anything if they take the #2 seed, get a bye and play the divisional game at home where the Pats are the only team undefeated in the NFL @ Home and if they make the AFC championship game then the only team the Pats have to go on the road for that game is if the Chiefs makes it that far.....Pats don't fear the Chiefs in Kansas City without Hunt. (Pats will cross that bridge when they get there) as of right now, the Pats could easily finish 11-5 and have a good shot at getting the #2 seed in the playoffs and a bye and a home playoff game where the Pats are undefeated and should be the favorite against anybody that comes out of the wild card weekend.

so if the dominoes fall where I think it will...Patriots have a good shot in getting back to the AFC Championship Game (8th time in a row) win or lose that game, that is an historical run.

The worst-case scenario: (they have to go to Texas in the divisional playoff)

if the Texans beat the Eagles in cold Philly (I think the Eagles will win) and win out then the Pats get the #3 seed and don't get a bye and have to play in the wild card weekend @ home and then go on the road to Texas in a nice warm weather dome.

so either scenario is good for the PATS. Of course, the #2 seed is the best route to make it back to the AFC championship game, they get a bye and play at home, which they will be the favoratives to win.

that's why you have to wait another week to figure out who lands where and who has the shortest route to the championship games before you go into panic mode. A lot of moving parts that have to play out.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-19-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,462,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Read an interesting theory today on Brady that makes a lot of sense and would explain some of the issues with his throws being off and his recent propensity for falling to his left as he throws

One of the national NFL writers went back to the film from the Titans game and has a great shot of the hit Brady took on his lone reception of the season. It certainly looks from the photo he posted that Brady likely tore or at least sprained the MCL of his left knee..

That was the same week Brady showed up on the injury report and started missing some practice time....

Doesn't explain the brain fart 1st half against the Dolphins but it would explain why he couldn't get enough on the ball that Haden picked.

Would also explain why he suddenly just collapsed to the turf in the Dolphins game after the Gronk TD throw, didn't get hit knee just buckled....

This being the Patriots we will likely never know for sure but Brady has played through significant injuries before and no-one knew outside the team.
Another theory I heard on SiriusXM NFL today. It was a general discussion of QB PLAY.

Because of the incredible level of success the Pats have had in this era, it puts more pressure on the team to play at a high level. More interesting was an idea about the approach of the QB's. Take Mahomes for instance. The biggest difference between Mahomes and Brady of course is age, but also what's ahead of them. It's easier for a younger QB to sling the ball around, take chances, whatever. Some believe there is much less pressure on Mahomes because he has a long future ahead of him (barring injury). No matter what, Brady knows then end is coming, and that creates self inflicted pressure realizing that this season could be your last season and there no more chances. Of course in Brady's case he's probably been saying that for years, but looking just at this year alone, maybe he's just forcing things a tad more than usual because of it. Not my theory, but thought it was an interesting take on this season.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 PM

If the Pats get the #2 seed, they get a bye and play at home vs the winner of #3 Seed & #6 Seed....(Texans vs the Colts/Ravens)......Pats should be the favorite at home against either of those teams.

if the Pats get the #3 seed, then they play at home against the #6 seed (Ravens or Colts) and if they win then go to Texas for the divisional round.......Pats should be the favorites against the Texans. Unless injuries changes things.

either path the Pats have a good shot making back to the AFC Championship game.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
If the Pats get the #2 seed, they get a bye and play at home vs the winner of #3 Seed & #6 Seed....(Texans vs the Colts/Ravens)......Pats should be the favorite at home against either of those teams.

if the Pats get the #3 seed, then they play at home against the #6 seed (Ravens or Colts) and if they win then go to Texas for the divisional round.......Pats should be the favorites against the Texans. Unless injuries changes things.

either path the Pats have a good shot making back to the AFC Championship game.
It's fun discussing the playoff options. Thing is, still have the Bills and Jets to play. We shall see if home is where the heart is and the Pats can close the season undefeated at home. That's the only thing the Pats have control of, and it's my only concern right now.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
It's fun discussing the playoff options. Thing is, still have the Bills and Jets to play. We shall see if home is where the heart is and the Pats can close the season undefeated at home. That's the only thing the Pats have control of, and it's my only concern right now.
tell you what, if the Pats after losing 2 close games on the road lose 2 at home where they are undefeated then it's over and they gave up on the season and on the coach. I'm not that hysterical.

there are only 2 options for that Pats to make it to the AFC Championship game

#2 Seed: Bye. Play @ Home vs Texans, Colts or Ravens (even you have to make the Pats the favorite)

#3 Seed: play @ home vs Colts or Ravens and if they win fly to Texas in a warm weather dome.

that's their path to get to the AFC championship game. I like their odds especially #2 seed.

the #4 seed is a tougher path......because whoever gets the 4th seed have to play the Chargers or the Chiefs in the wild card weekend and if they win then they have to get on a plane and play @ Kansas City or LA Chargers the very next week,,,,,,,they have to beat the Chiefs and the Chargers back to back to make it to the AFC Championship. I don't see any team making the #4 seed beating those teams back to back, maybe 1 but not both.

now you see why playoff seeds matter? .....if you land on the tougher seed path then that's the difference in making it to the championship game or not. If the Pats had the #4 seed, I don't think they make it to the championship game, they would have to play the Chargers and Chiefs back to back.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-19-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,016,479 times
Josh Gordon is reportedly facing another suspension and is leaving the team. If true, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that he's played his last snap in the NFL.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Josh Gordon is reportedly facing another suspension and is leaving the team. If true, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that he's played his last snap in the NFL.

I believe his football days are done. It's too bad. He tried, but the demons inside will not go away for him.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:04 PM

What a waste of talent and life. This man has been given opportunities after opportunities and he has blown it. Sad, no team will pick this guy ever again. I hope he finds the cure but his NFL days are done. NFL gave him 4 opportunities and now they suspend him for the 5th time.

He ran routes like he had a piano on his back and has been a non-factor this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or