Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Alright NOW who is being over the top with silliness....

Gordon ranks 11th among WR's in the AFC in yards with 720 and 2nd in the NFL at 18 yards per reception despite missing a few games and being gradually worked into the offense over his first 2-3 games

He didn't show the separation he had earlier in his career but he had the best hands on the team and has been the only legitimate deep threat on this team.

Clearly Gordon had become Brady's go to receiver over Gronk and even Edelman at times....

To say he has been a non factor is beyond ridiculous...

This is a serious blow to an already underwhelming receiving corps...

maybe you can be his agent and sell that pitch to NFL teams so he gets sign after his 5th league suspension.

Gordon is ranked # 28 receivers in the league this year. In 11 games he played this year he had 8 games with ZERO TD's and 3 games with just 1 TD.....that's 11 games 3 TD's that's average at best especially when Gronk gets doubled team and Gordon can't get separation because he looks like that he is running with a piano on his back.

He averages less than 4 receptions a game and if he is the only legitimate deep threat in the team then Pats are better off bringing somebody else from the bench with speed or signing somebody else.

I didn't call him "mediocre", I said he is average at best this year and with his drug problems he was never 70% of his former self and he is not reliable. There is a reason the Browns cut ties with him. He was late to practices and came high. He didn't even go to training camp in 2018 because he was dealing with his substance abuse.

the guy was never in prime football shape....in 2014 he only played 5 games, didn't play 2015 & 2016, 2017 he only played 5 games and got suspended and this year he missed all training camp.....so in 4 years he only played 10 games. He never could develop into a consistent top receiver because of his problems.

Pats won't miss something that he never brought to the team. Pats signed him crossing their fingers expecting he might be somewhat of his potential when he came into the NFL. They only gave a 5th round pick for the Browns 7th round pick to get him.....meaning Pats didn't give much for him and weren't expecting much and knew there was a good possibility he would get suspended again for substance abuse.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-20-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 05:28 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
maybe you can be his agent and sell that pitch to NFL teams so he gets sign after his 5th league suspension.

Gordon is ranked # 28 receivers in the league this year. In 11 games he played this year he had 8 games with ZERO TD's and 3 games with just 1 TD.....that's 11 games 3 TD's that's average at best especially when Gronk gets doubled team and Gordon can't get separation because he looks like that he is running with a piano on his back.

He averages less than 4 receptions a game and if he is the only legitimate deep threat in the team then Pats are better off bringing somebody else from the bench with speed or signing somebody else.

I didn't call him "mediocre", I said he is average at best this year and with his drug problems he was never 70% of his former self and he is not reliable. There is a reason the Browns cut ties with him. He was late to practices and came high. He didn't even go to training camp in 2018 because he was dealing with his substance abuse.

the guy was never in prime football shape....in 2014 he only played 5 games, didn't play 2015 & 2016, 2017 he only played 5 games and got suspended and this year he missed all training camp.....so in 4 years he only played 10 games. He never could develop into a consistent top receiver because of his problems.

Pats won't miss something that he never brought to the team. Pats signed him crossing their fingers expecting he might be somewhat of his potential when he came into the NFL. They only gave a 5th round pick for the Browns 7th round pick to get him.....meaning Pats didn't give much for him and weren't expecting much and knew there was a good possibility he would get suspended again for substance abuse.
I'm not pumping him up to be something he isn't and have no interest in being his agent

What YOU said was Gordon was a "non factor" this year....not that he was "average at best"

To say that the player on the Patriots with the most receiving yards....more than Edelman, Gronk and White...

The player on the current roster that showed the best ability to make tough catches in traffic was a "non factor" this year is ridiculous.....

Maybe you don't remember how **** poor this receiving corps looked BEFORE Gordon was integrated into the team...I do

You act as if he did NOTHING for the Pats this year

He is number 2 on the team in snaps at WR, was CLEARLY the number 2 receiver on the team...

Led the team in receiving yards and yds/reception....

Had more TD receptions than Gronk....

Was clearly Brady's "go to" receiving option in several games this year....

No one ever denied the risk reward ratio with signing Gordon and everyone knew that what has happened would/could happen...

I am calling you out on one specific statement that you made...."Gordon has been a non factor this year" that is simply ridiculous, unsupported by fact and clearly WRONG

If you think the Patriots, who have been struggling offensively for several weeks now WITH Gordon are just as good or better WITHOUT Gordon I just don't know what to say.....clearly you and I are watching different teams...

Old 12-21-2018, 12:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Gordon is ranked # 28 receivers in the league this year. In 11 games he played this year he had 8 games with ZERO TD's and 3 games with just 1 TD.....that's 11 games 3 TD's that's average at best
Julio Jones has made quite the career out of not catching TD passes. Not saying they are the same players but you can have an impact and not be a TD machine.

From an outsiders perspective I think there is truth to both the concern shown by metalmancpa and the confidence that things will work themselves out that Hellion has.

Patriots certainly fall under the category of deserving the benefit of the doubt until they prove they can't win when it absolutely matters. Traditionally teams that have given the Patriots problems in the post season have had really good defenses, with great pass rushes, Baltimore and Denver come to mind. It's not likely either of those teams will be in the postseason this year.

I get metalman's concern. Can't remember the last time the Patriots were 3-3 in their last six games this late in the season. And just because other top teams in the NFC are also 3-3 in their last six, doesn't mean things will be okay. I could be wrong but I think Houston edges out a close victory of the Eagles this week. I am taking them at +2 this week at least.

Not saying it is definitely going to happen but I would not be shocked in the least if either the Bills or Jets were able to sneak one past the goalie against New England to end the season. Just the fact that that seems a possibility at this point is somewhat concerning. But part of that is both the Bills and Jets playing better since the rookie QBs have come back from injuries and not all on the Patriots looking vulnerable. But we'll see. Like Hellion says, Pats could end up with the #2 overall seed and a bye too.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:16 PM

I'm concerned about Chris Hogan. It would be so Billsy to let Hogan go for 100 yards and two scores this weekend.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Julio Jones has made quite the career out of not catching TD passes. Not saying they are the same players but you can have an impact and not be a TD machine.

Julio Jones gets double team every game. Rarely he gets one on one......they don't double team Gordon, they don't have to. His doesn't have the speed like JJ and AB to create separation.

Quote:
And just because other top teams in the NFC are also 3-3 in their last six, doesn't mean things will be okay. I could be wrong but I think Houston edges out a close victory of the Eagles this week. I am taking them at +2 this week at least.

well Vegas doesn't think so...they started last week with Texans with a 3.5 point favorite to now 2.5 favorites for the Eagles....that is a 6 point swing and I have never seen that ever (unless something drastic happened with injuries)

I think EAGLES win out with Foles and take the #6 seed from the Vikings that have to play @ Detroit and then the Bears........I just trust Foles a lot more than Cousins.

Pats are fine especially if they get the #2 seed.......the best path to the AFC Championship game is #2 and #3 seeds (#2 is better because they get a bye and play at home where the Pats are undefeated, the only team in the NFL)

The worst seed is #4 (Steelers or Ravens) . Because they are going to play the Chargers and Chiefs back to back, those are the top 2 teams in the AFC and beating them back to back it's tough....I rather have the other path that the Patriots have because in the #2 and #3 seeds they only have to beat the Texans, Ravens/ Colts to make it the AFC championship game.

This is simple logic if you are the Patriots, to get to the AFC championship game which path you rather take:

A) Texans, Colts or Ravens at home with a bye (#2 seed).........Ravens/Colts at home and play the Texans in warm dome Houston (#3 seed)

B) play Chargers/Chiefs at home and then go on the road and play the Chiefs/Chargers (#4 seed)

Old 12-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'm concerned about Chris Hogan. It would be so Billsy to let Hogan go for 100 yards and two scores this weekend.
I wouldn't worry about Hogan. He has been a non factor this season....

Only reason he was so wide open for that TD against Steelers was due to the double and triple coverage on Gordon....no Gordon, no need to double anyone on the Pats....

Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Only reason he was so wide open for that TD against Steelers was due to the double and triple coverage on Gordon....no Gordon, no need to double anyone on the Pats....
Has Gronk fallen that far off the cliff this year?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
well Vegas doesn't think so...they started last week with Texans with a 3.5 point favorite to now 2.5 favorites for the Eagles....that is a 6 point swing and I have never seen that ever (unless something drastic happened with injuries)
You're forgetting that Vegas sets point spreads to try to get even action on both teams. That means they set them based on what they predict public sentiment to be. Not who Vegas actually thinks will win the game. Right now the public is heavily behind the Eagles because they are remembering what happened last year when Foles came in and played in relief. The public, and a lot of bettors, think that will happen again. If Vegas doesn't get close to even money on a game they risk opening themselves up to huge losses.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Has Gronk fallen that far off the cliff this year?
He really is a shell of himself, he started out strong but the ankle and back injuries have taken their toll, no one bothers to double cover Gronk anymore...

He couldn't even gain 1 critical yard one on one against 180 lb safety a couple of weeks ago.

Will be shocked if he doesn't retire after this season.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:28 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
Who knows. Us negative nellie Pats fans might be sitting in front of the TV in February shaking our heads as Brady holds up #6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football