U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,909,164 times

Advertisements

All of the speculation can end - Gronk is retiring from the NFL. I will miss seeing him. What he accomplished in 9 seasons, despite missing 29 regular season games, is pretty damn amazing. He is sure to be a first ballot HoF'er. What a great career he had. Really the total package as a TE - great run blockers, great hands and a match up nightnare for opposing defenses. Easily one of the best TE ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

4,326 posts, read 2,287,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The NFL Channel is reporting that TE Rob Gronkowski has decided to retire.

His stats are 521 receptions for 7861 yards and 79 touchdowns. 4 time first team all-pro, 5 time pro bowler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
All of the speculation can end - Gronk is retiring from the NFL. I will miss seeing him. What he accomplished in 9 seasons, despite missing 29 regular season games, is pretty damn amazing. He is sure to be a first ballot HoF'er. What a great career he had. Really the total package as a TE - great run blockers, great hands and a match up nightnare for opposing defenses. Easily one of the best TE ever.
He had a fantastic career, congrats to Gronk!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:31 PM

1,216 posts, read 493,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The NFL Channel is reporting that TE Rob Gronkowski has decided to retire.

His stats are 521 receptions for 7861 yards and 79 touchdowns. 4 time first team all-pro, 5 time pro bowler.
I have Gronk with a profile of 5/5/10s? (in 2012 he was named 1st team all pro by Pro Football Writers and Pro Football Focus if not AP, and I count these as well). Thatís very good for his position. He also managed to compile enough stats to make him look better than the second coming of Todd Christensen (fine player, but not a HoFer). His nine year career is a tad short, but certainly long enough to get him in. He was also unusually a TE who could block as well as catch the ball. He should get into the HoF within a few years of eligibility, though he may not be first ballot unless itís a weak year for first timers.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,612,630 times
Good for him, I would rather see him go out than trying to play 1 or 2 more years, those injuries will catch up. He's had an awesome career, definitely fun while he was playing, way to go, congrats to him.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 11,125,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I have Gronk with a profile of 5/5/10s? (in 2012 he was named 1st team all pro by Pro Football Writers and Pro Football Focus if not AP, and I count these as well). Thatís very good for his position. He also managed to compile enough stats to make him look better than the second coming of Todd Christensen (fine player, but not a HoFer). His nine year career is a tad short, but certainly long enough to get him in. He was also unusually a TE who could block as well as catch the ball. He should get into the HoF within a few years of eligibility, though he may not be first ballot unless itís a weak year for first timers.
If he doesn't get in to the HOF on the first ballot then the HOF needs to reconsider how it chooses players (which it needs to do anyway)

It isn't all about the "stats"....which he has any way....

He was the best TE of his generation....period.....

Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 PM

4,326 posts, read 2,287,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Good for him, I would rather see him go out than trying to play 1 or 2 more years, those injuries will catch up. He's had an awesome career, definitely fun while he was playing, way to go, congrats to him.
He definitely had a fantastic career!

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

6,552 posts, read 3,517,018 times
What a way to end his career, on his own terms out a champion. And the last catch of his career is one of the sweetest plays I've ever seen right down to the crowd reaction. Brady was so calm and lofted it, Gronk ran that seam and ran the ball down, and the rest is history (yeah yeah, cliche).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEbL2RfD1hk

Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 PM

1,216 posts, read 493,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If he doesn't get in to the HOF on the first ballot then the HOF needs to reconsider how it chooses players (which it needs to do anyway)

It isn't all about the "stats"....which he has any way....

He was the best TE of his generation....period.....
First ballot is a funny thing, though. Lots of great players werenít, including folks you would have thought might be, such as Michael Strahan and Mike Webster ó as well as every TE in the HoF except Tony Gonzalez. And players like Jim Kelly and Jackie Slater were. How strong or weak the first timer group is often has a lot to do with this.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 AM

2,270 posts, read 897,771 times
If Gronkowski does get elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, he will be inducted in July 2024 at the age of 35 - the same as Jim Brown when he was enshrined in Canton. Gale Sayers was 34. No one else has been inducted before their 36th birthday. The youngest TE to be enshrined is Kellen Winslow, who was 37.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 AM

2,985 posts, read 3,992,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I could not have said it any better! He is a great guy with a great attitude and he was definitely feeling the pain the last two seasons. Watching him drag two or three opposing players into the end zone to score was priceless. I will miss that big ole smile of his both on the field and on the sidelines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or