U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,910,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
What a way to end his career, on his own terms out a champion. And the last catch of his career is one of the sweetest plays I've ever seen right down to the crowd reaction. Brady was so calm and lofted it, Gronk ran that seam and ran the ball down, and the rest is history (yeah yeah, cliche).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEbL2RfD1hk
Man I wish now he would have gotten into the end zone for one final Gronk Spike. His best one ever was vs. the Rams over in London during the 2012 season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 AM

27,092 posts, read 6,089,222 times
Oh will miss his great catches and his infectious personality. Not as much as Brady will miss him

Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM

1,217 posts, read 493,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh will miss his great catches and his infectious personality. Not as much as Brady will miss him
Yeah, Iíve got a feeling Brady is really going to miss Gronk out there. Heís been Bradyís most effective and reliable target for some time now. In fact, his retirement may be tougher to compensate for, even than if Brady had retired, regarding the Pats winning another Super Bowl. Replacing Gronk will not be easy.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,979,202 times
Other than Brady, Gronk has been the most popular Patriot over the years. It was great that he played his entire career as a Patriot; would have been strange seeing him in another uniform. According to local talk radio, he intended to play another year but realized after starting to work out that his body could not do it. He will be missed, but he went out a winner. Due to a playing career shortened due to injury, he won't be considered the GOAT as Hernandez and Gates played a lot longer. If one were starting a dream team and had to pick one TE to start, it would be Gronk in his prime.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 493,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Other than Brady, Gronk has been the most popular Patriot over the years. It was great that he played his entire career as a Patriot; would have been strange seeing him in another uniform. According to local talk radio, he intended to play another year but realized after starting to work out that his body could not do it. He will be missed, but he went out a winner. Due to a playing career shortened due to injury, he won't be considered the GOAT as Hernandez and Gates played a lot longer. If one were starting a dream team and had to pick one TE to start, it would be Gronk in his prime.
Personally, I think thereís plenty of competition for greatest ever TE. Guys like Mike Ditka, John Mackey, Tony Gonzalez, Dave Casper, and Kellen Winslow belong in the conversation also.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM

6,552 posts, read 3,518,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Personally, I think thereís plenty of competition for greatest ever TE. Guys like Mike Ditka, John Mackey, Tony Gonzalez, Dave Casper, and Kellen Winslow belong in the conversation also.
I always thought Russ Francis was a great tight end too.

But my eyes tell me, regardless of stats, that no one has ever played the position like Gronk. And I take nothing away from the other greats.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM

2,270 posts, read 898,172 times
Quote:
The difference is that those tight ends were not among the best receivers of their time. Gronkowski was.

His career gain per target (not catch - target) was 9.9 yards. That's better than any wide receiver back as far as the data on targets goes (1992). Since he joined the NFL in 2010, he has more receiving touchdowns than any other tight end... and any wide receiver. His career touchdown rate is one every 6.6 catches - 9th all time, behind all wide receivers, only one of them - barely - a contemporary (Randy Moss), which is impressive because players tend to catch more passes for fewer yards/catch today than in yesteryear (short passing increasingly supplanting rushing). That could be dismissed if he wasn't a great blocker, yet he was one of the best.

Simply put, Gronkowski is the most complete tight end ever even when you factor in the increasing emphasis passing plays in the modern NFL.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM

5,018 posts, read 11,127,671 times
Quote:
Yeah, I’ve got a feeling Brady is really going to miss Gronk out there. He’s been Brady’s most effective and reliable target for some time now. In fact, his retirement may be tougher to compensate for, even than if Brady had retired, regarding the Pats winning another Super Bowl. Replacing Gronk will not be easy.

How many SuperBowls have the Patriots won WITHOUT Gronkowski???

That would be 4 including the greatest comeback ever against the Falcons without the services of Gronk

How many SuperBowls have the Patriots won WITHOUT Brady????

That would be zero, and personally I believe that number will not change once Brady retires.....

Pats were 20-5 without Gronk prior to the 2018 season...

No TE can "replace" Gronk, but the Pats and Brady will morph again as they already were this season....

Life will go on without Gronk, won't be as much fun, but it will go on

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-25-2019 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: one sentence deleted

Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM

6,552 posts, read 3,518,884 times
Schiano comes, Schiano goes. That was fast. Sounds like he reevaluated his personal life and it was too much. Still though, wish he had thought about it before taking the position. I guess he saw what Belichick did once and figured why not me.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM

2,985 posts, read 3,993,658 times
Default Trio

Quote:
I might agree with you if Tom Brady were younger. But at age 41, that could become more of an issue. Peyton Manning was one of the best quarterbacks in the league at an advanced age, until, well, he all of a sudden wasn't at age 39 -- and he won his final Super Bowl thanks to his teammates more than anything he had left in the tank. Age is going to catch up to Brady soon enough, and it could even be next year for all we know. We'll see what happens.

And as the career of Archie Manning will tell you, you can be a great quarterback but ultimately you're only as good as your offensive line, receivers, and running backs will allow. Losing Gronk isn't going to be a plus for the Patriots.
Now as a life long Patriots fan I have to say as others, yes Brady could go down with an injury this year but his drive, determination and physical condition at his age is an anomaly most of us are unlikely to see for quite a long time (my opinion). Peyton Manning was worn out, he looked horrible during that Super Bowl. His team won him that game. He was on borrowed time that season but he held on. Brady on the other hand still fires those balls like he is in his early thirties.

As far as Gronk goes I love him to death as a Patriot but he will be replaced maybe not easily but he will be replaced. Watching Coach B, his coaching staff along with their scouts I have to wonder how do they keep finding these players and how long can they keep finding them. It seems every Super Bowl win means several players leave for those big payouts with other teams and still the Patriots find a way to remain competitive with players many of us have never heard of or on the radar at the draft.

I hate getting older (soon to be 59) but I am glad I was around to witness all that has happened to the Patriots since way before we got hammered by the Bears in the Super Bowl (back when the toilets overflowed at the old stadium and Monday Night Football at Foxboro was known for it's fights between the drunken fans). It is only a matter of time before this dynasty hits a bit of a dry spell and I am sure humbled by the success this team has given us fans. I hope these younger fans realize how hard it is for a team to stay consistent in today's NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or