Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Let's see what happens this weekend. Gonna need Brady to perform much better than last week unless Patriots can rush for nearly 300 yards again.
Brady has been here so many times and with his age, all he has to do is pick his spots in a 16 round fight (NFL Season) just win enough rounds to get his team to the playoffs and a bye. They are not a young team that will blow by every team and every weekend to run out of gas when they get to the playoffs. As long that he is ready and the team after the bye at home (2 weeks to prepare for the Texans or Colts) that's all that matters.

That's how a HOF veteran QB with a veteran championship team does. Pace yourself pick your spots and handle the injuries with a bye and just get to the AFC championship game January 20th. In the NFL that's a long time and many things can happen and turn for better or worse for many teams. Look at Steelers, in 1 month, they went from winning the division, possibly getting the #1 or #2 seed and a bye to not making the playoffs at all. Look at the Eagles, 1 month ago they were dead and written off in making the playoffs and now they are 1 win away and a Vikings lost to taking the #1 seed.

1 month is a long time in the NFL. Patriots will be ready after the bye to make their run. As long they make it to the AFC championship game then it's 1 win to make it back the S.B.

Don't be surprised if the Patriots run the tables after the bye and make it back to the SB......the only defense in the AFC that could shut them down in the playoffs is Baltimore and that is if Baltimore makes it to the AFC championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 PM

468 posts, read 355,850 times
I would just like to say that I have been a huge fan of Tommy and his Patriots over the years....and they are an elite team at home....undefeated....add that to the fact that the Jets have not won a game at Gillette Stadium since 2011....and finally the Jets record this year is a sad sack 4-11......so should be a lock for New England.....I mean how can Tommy and his Patriots lose at home against the hapless Jets who haven't one a game there since 2011 ?

I say Sam Darnold

Sam Darnold at the young age of 21 may just have the most productive and best game of his life up at Gillette so all those who wager should consider the Jets + 13 or +14 may just happen to be the bet of the season.

But I feel a huge upset could be in the making and that Sam and his Jets will not only cover the spread but beat Tommy and his Patriots at home on Sunday....

I will not wager but will enjoy the game...and I would like to see Tommy and his Patriots get another ring but I have that sticky feeling in my gut that Sam Darnold may just light up the Patriots defense on Sunday.

I predict a much closer game than the oddsmakers are predicting.

And I have a nagging feeling that New England and many of their fans are already looking past the Jets..

Good luck Patriot fans....

Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
so all those who wager should consider the Jets + 13 or +14 may just happen to be the bet of the season.

As I said before last weeks game I had a feeling that one of Buffalo or NY Jets could play spoiler for New England. Buffalo really never had a chance with the way their run defense was gashed but they did leave a lot of plays on the field offensively. Fumble in the red zone, missed on a possible TD in the first quarter when Robert Foster lost track of a beautifully placed deep ball in the sun. Missed FG inside 50 yards, which subsequently lead the Bills to not even attempting a similar FG inside 50 yards.

But I loved the Bills +12.5/+13.5 last week and they got the backdoor cover because they were able to keep the game close enough. I also love Jets +13 this week. I think Darnold has a decent game but wonder if ultimately a costly turnover or two might prevent an upset.

IMO, these last two weeks come down to whether or not it is business a usual for the Patriots, securing a bye as usual or if something really is amiss.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
I know it is a bit early to be talking about the offseason, as we still have week 17 and the playoffs to go. However, as you look at the team as it stands now, what would you say are the top 3 positions on the team that need help either through free agency or via the draft?

Old 12-27-2018, 06:29 PM

QB- Transition from Brady like the Packers did from Favre to Rodgers. Speculation is that the Pats were high on Mayfield in the last draft. May have traded up had he fallen.

Pass Rusherr-Seems like this has been a need for a while.

Receiver/TE- Gronk is toast. Edelman is still effective but not getting any younger. Besides Edelman, Gronk and Hogan I don’t know who else the Patriots have at the WR/TE positions.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I would just like to say that I have been a huge fan of Tommy and his Patriots over the years....and they are an elite team at home....undefeated....add that to the fact that the Jets have not won a game at Gillette Stadium since 2011....and finally the Jets record this year is a sad sack 4-11......so should be a lock for New England.....I mean how can Tommy and his Patriots lose at home against the hapless Jets who haven't one a game there since 2011 ?

I say Sam Darnold

Sam Darnold at the young age of 21 may just have the most productive and best game of his life up at Gillette so all those who wager should consider the Jets + 13 or +14 may just happen to be the bet of the season.

But I feel a huge upset could be in the making and that Sam and his Jets will not only cover the spread but beat Tommy and his Patriots at home on Sunday....

I will not wager but will enjoy the game...and I would like to see Tommy and his Patriots get another ring but I have that sticky feeling in my gut that Sam Darnold may just light up the Patriots defense on Sunday.

And I have a nagging feeling that New England and many of their fans are already looking past the Jets..

Good luck Patriot fans....
I wasn't able to watch the game and just got in and am seeing 38-3 Pats with a little over a minute left..... can someone kindly tell me if Darnold and his Jets stunk up the place or did Tommy and his Patriots simply dominate ?

Good win for Patriots fans.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I wasn't able to watch the game and just got in and am seeing 38-3 Pats with a little over a minute left..... can someone kindly tell me if Darnold and his Jets stunk up the place or did Tommy and his Patriots simply dominate ?

Good win for Patriots fans.
Probably a little bit of A and a little bit of B. Haven’t watched the game but saw at least two costly turnovers. No chance for a backdoor cover today.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Probably a little bit of A and a little bit of B. Haven’t watched the game but saw at least two costly turnovers. No chance for a backdoor cover today.
Thanks Bill.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Tom Brady has now accumulated the following statistics since turning 40 years old:

*24 wins and 32 starts (Favre is 2nd all time in post-40 wins with 13, and Favre is tied with Moon and Testaverde with 25 post-40 starts each)
*760 completions in 1151 attempts (no one else has 500 completions, Moon is 2nd all-time with 823 attempts)
*8932 yards and 61 TDs (no one else has 6000 yards, Moon is 2nd all-time with 37 TDs)

And by virtue of his 6-yard reception earlier this season, Brady is now 2nd all-time (behind Jerry Rice... way behind!) for receiving yards after turning 40. He's also 3rd in all-time post-40 rushing yards with 63 (only one yard behind Moon and far behind Flutie at 213 yards).

Oh, and postseason passing stats? In all the passing categories above - wins, starts, completions & attempts, yards and TDs - Brady has twice as many since turning 40 than everyone else in NFL history combined. The only QB on the horizon that might challenge any of these marks is Drew Brees, who will turning 40 between this year's divisional and championship rounds.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I watched. Other than Keion Crossen who wouldn’t play much in a playoff game, the defense played their best game of the year. The Jets got behind and gave up the ball on downs twice rather than kick gimme field goals so they should have scored 9 points. Brady was better but had a few overthrows and missed opportunities. Gronk had a few catches and a big catch called back on a penalty but was double teamed much of the time. The running game performed well but missed some 3rd and short plays. They beat up on a flawed team.

Devin McCourty is probably in concussion protocol. The only injury of significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football