Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times

Advertisements

Well I just saw on ESPN First Take that the Jets made this move because Peyton manning did not return their phone calls so that's why they extended the contract. So the Jets did try to get Manning but he wasn't interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,374,460 times
Good for the Jets now I can justify in my own mind why is should now become a Carolina Panthers fan. Plus I can watch Carolina every week and never have to worry about being disappointed by Sanchez.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM

207 posts, read 353,573 times
That seems like alot of money for the former USC standout who didnt exactly have a good year. I think the Jets were basing their decision to extend his contract on what he did in his first two years where he has a 4-2 record in the playoffs, including wins over the Colts and Patriots in the previous season. Two great years and one bad one which really isnt terribly bad for a young player in his first 3 years in the NFL.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
That seems like alot of money for the former USC standout who didnt exactly have a good year. I think the Jets were basing their decision to extend his contract on what he did in his first two years where he has a 4-2 record in the playoffs, including wins over the Colts and Patriots in the previous season. Two great years and one bad one which really isnt terribly bad for a young player in his first 3 years in the NFL.
No the decision came because the Jets called Peyton manning and he didn't return the call so then went ahead and made the extension. Heard this on First Take this morning

Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,075,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
patriots fans everywhere rejoice! The jets are staying with sanchez...
Ayuh, I like it.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM

207 posts, read 353,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No the decision came because the Jets called Peyton manning and he didn't return the call so then went ahead and made the extension. Heard this on First Take this morning
exactly, they couldnt get Manning so the Jets only other alternative was to extend Sanchez's contract based on his first two years in the NFL. I remain a little skeptical on Manning, you dont know if he will be the same player he was with Colts, perhaps injury prone and or one good hit from calling it a career. His contract will have to be incentive based otherwise it could turn out to be a huge gamble.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,256,982 times
Bad move. Third place this year.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM

23,767 posts, read 29,021,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I just saw on ESPN First Take that the Jets made this move because Peyton manning did not return their phone calls so that's why they extended the contract. So the Jets did try to get Manning but he wasn't interested.
I heard that Manning did in fact visit the Jets unannounced and while sitting in the waiting room he stole the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, unscrewed all the light bulbs in the table lamps and over-fed the tropical fish before bolting out the door.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,910,553 times
If I was a Jets fan I'd definitely be upset, but honestly I can only laugh at the stupidity here.

Also, this didn't really have much to do with Peyton... it's not like anyone really expected him to go there. That was flat out obvious he wasn't, but there are plenty of other options than signing a quarterback who doesn't produce for WAY more than he's worth.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,441,949 times
This move was basically a contract restructure, Sanchez would have counted 14 mil against the cap this year, so the Jets turned 8 mil into a roster bonus, reducing the cap hit to 6 mil, and added 3 yrs to the contract, which by all accounts is very team friendly. I'm not ready to give up on Sanchez yet, I don't think he will ever be elite, but I do think you can win with him.

1) I want to see him get a chance with a New OC, Schotty was terrible
2) Sanchez has never had a losing season
3) As bad as he was at times, he still threw 26 TDs and rushed for 5.
4) The O-line killed him last year, yet he never complained, and never pointed fingers, he just took it, I think you have to respect that

He needs to make major improvements this year, probably make or break this year, but I do believe he deserves the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football