U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 18,159,516 times
Reputation: 15318
Default Jets extend Mark Sanchez's contract

The New York Jets ended months of Peyton Manning speculation Friday night with an emphatic statement, announcing a three-year contract extension for incumbent Mark Sanchez.

The Jets made Sanchez one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL after a season in which they openly admitted they weren't pleased with his rate of development. The timing also is curious, coming only hours after they were eliminated from the Manning sweepstakes.

The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013 and $40.5 million in "new" money, bringing his total over five years to $58.25 million, according to sources. He can make an additional $10 million in escalators.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Status: "Ft. Knox/Louisville for the weekend." (set 7 hours ago)
 
Location: The Millennial Republic of Arlington, Virginia
14,469 posts, read 16,137,077 times
Reputation: 14414
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The New York Jets ended months of Peyton Manning speculation Friday night with an emphatic statement, announcing a three-year contract extension for incumbent Mark Sanchez.

The Jets made Sanchez one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL after a season in which they openly admitted they weren't pleased with his rate of development. The timing also is curious, coming only hours after they were eliminated from the Manning sweepstakes.

The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013 and $40.5 million in "new" money, bringing his total over five years to $58.25 million, according to sources. He can make an additional $10 million in escalators.
I absolutely hate this move. Sanchez does not merit this type of money and after last year the Jets should have said get it this year or get gone by not extending him. I would have thought they bring in a mid-level QB like Henne or Campbell to push him. I wonder if they still do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Southern NH
2,062 posts, read 2,681,396 times
Reputation: 1056
Patriots fans everywhere rejoice! The Jets are staying with Sanchez...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
7,504 posts, read 5,857,616 times
Reputation: 10332
Wow, big contract for a guy who seems to run hot and cold! I can think of a few teams that better up their QBs contracts!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,285 posts, read 3,747,193 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I absolutely hate this move. Sanchez does not merit this type of money and after last year the Jets should have said get it this year or get gone by not extending him. I would have thought they bring in a mid-level QB like Henne or Campbell to push him. I wonder if they still do.
Yeah, this is a huge facepalm move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow, big contract for a guy who seems to run hot and cold! I can think of a few teams that better up their QBs contracts!
even his "hot" doesn't warrant this kind of money
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
FBJ
 
32,732 posts, read 20,981,704 times
Reputation: 7041
In Sanchez defense, he has help lead the team to the AFC championship twice in the past 3 seasons so that probably had a lot to do with it. Plus he is a lot younger than Manning and already showed what he can do as a starting QB. Manning on the otherhand has been away from the game for 2 years and no one knows if he will be the same player once he steps back on the field.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,555 posts, read 4,218,528 times
Reputation: 2110
They should have traded him to the 'Skins for five 1st round picks, Fed Ex Field and perhaps Snyder's wife as well.....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
 
758 posts, read 509,735 times
Reputation: 312
No laughing emotion? Hahahaha, stupid Jets!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,059 posts, read 7,705,034 times
Reputation: 2291
I don't understand it. He had a tough year last year and they decided to chase Peyton. Then they are afraid to offend Sanchez, so to prove he is their guy,they extend him? Way too much money thrown at the guy trying to save face with him.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Here or There
1,833 posts, read 750,392 times
Reputation: 659
In a year or two, we will all be back here in the forum talking about the mess the Jets have made of their QB situation and how they need more money to get a FA QB...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top