U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:54 PM

262 posts, read 225,521 times

Advertisements

i know i may be getting ahead of my self but will this have any effect on Belicheck getting into the Hall of Fame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM

262 posts, read 225,521 times
i assume most of you saw the press conference yesterday were Ladanian Tomlison said " the Patriots motto is if you're not cheating, you're not trying." and starting laughing This makes me sick i really hate LT everyone thinks he so classy yada yada yada he talks just as much crap as 90% of the other nfl players o yea and what is Shawne Merriman's motto? Hes a cheater too. I know what the patriots did is wrong but LT needs to shut up and watch some film because the Chargers are about to get crushed this sunday.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:45 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,847,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrench8456 View Post
i assume most of you saw the press conference yesterday were Ladanian Tomlison said " the Patriots motto is if you're not cheating, you're not trying." and starting laughing This makes me sick i really hate LT everyone thinks he so classy yada yada yada he talks just as much crap as 90% of the other nfl players o yea and what is Shawne Merriman's motto? Hes a cheater too. I know what the patriots did is wrong but LT needs to shut up and watch some film because the Chargers are about to get crushed this sunday.
What you're saying about LT and his perception can also be said about the Patriots especially their head coach, IF you're not a Patriots fan. A high percentage of us who are not Patriots fans have felt that way about the Patriots so when this story came out, it stirred up more intense feelings.

It is what it is, I understand you getting annoyed with LT and others speaking out, but you're seeing it through the eyes of a Pats fan. Also LT is still bitter about their loss to NE last year at home, do you remember the drama afterwards? Anyway, I think Sunday's game is going to be great. I got the Pats by 3!

I also think the Pats should get fined, forfeit the game against the jets and lose a 1st and 2nd round pick, all of which they will overcome, still win their division and be in the playoffs. This is good for the NFL so no other team would ever try or keep trying this sort of thing. I hate the thought of the NFL being fixed like the NBA or Italian soccer or whatever.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,736,873 times
Default Game films vs. spying

Does anyone know the logistics of how pro teams produce their game films? I'm curious about what tips someone off that a guy with a video camera is spying, not producing game films.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,089,674 times
500K fine for Billy and 250K for the Pats. They lose their 1st round draft pick IF they make the playoffs. Sorry, but the money means nothing.

The commish should have made NE forefit the game against the Jets and automatically lose 2 draft picks next year.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,159,182 times
Alright, I was going to wait for a response from the league before I commented on this , "cameragate", or whatever they are calling it. That just sounded like BB right there...hmm. I am a Pats fan, have been one since '93. I know that is not that long of a time to be a fan, but what I have put into following them, makes it seem like its been decades. I watched Bledsoe come up from playing with Washington State, and followed him into the NFL and the Patriots became my team. A certain coach by the nickname of "The Big Tuna" was coming onboard and I was ready for a sweet ride. My parents being from Bangor Maine, made the switch to the Pats an obvious one as well. It has been wonderful being a Pats fan for the last almost 15 years, and something like this isn't going to fade those memories. I am not proud of what they may have done, still don't know what it was they actually did. All I hear is from players, active and retired, who had got their butts kicked by the Pats, and now feel they can get some type of revenge on them by tarnishing this fine organization.

The sports world is indicative of the world around it, they almost intersect with each other. I just thought that sounded cool in my head, so I wrote it down. Kinda makes sense though.....doesn't it? All I'm saying is, if they did this, then yeah, they should be punished pretty harshly. Will it make me think the Pats aren't that good and maybe never had been, I'm not an idiot, ofcourse not! People are just finally glad to have something negative to happen to this team and are relishing in the moment. Thats fine, if it makes them not think about their sorry team, than good for them. Oh, and LT is going to get his this Sunday, and he can go right back to crying like he did last year. GO PATS!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Referring back to my earlier post, this does not taint the Patsies' championships. Teams have been stealing other teams' signals--or trying to--basically forever. If anything, using a video camera, aside from the fact that it's against the rules, would seem to be a less efficient means of doing so. By the time the coach has seen the video, and figured out the signals, it's halftime, and the opposing coach is in the process of giving his team new signals for the second half. It actually seems kind of pointless to use video. There must be some advantage they see to it, or no one would try it, but signal-stealing goes on all the time anyway. This is just a more high-tech way of pulling it off. It's not something that makes so much difference it's going to win a championship.

And, this isn't the most important issue out there, even in the world of sports. You've got an ongoing problem with steroids throughout professional sports (college, and even high school, sports too, no doubt), and, as a result of a spearing incident, the NFL has just had a player suffer a horrific injury, which could have left him a quadriplegic, or even killed him, and still might have terrible results--he's not out of the woods yet. Compared to these concerns, the suspicion that some team may have gone high-tech with the age-old practice of signal-stealing is hardly worth all the to-do.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,847,247 times
I don't think the punishment makes any sense at all. The money means nothing to these guys, they make millions so a half mil is nothing to them. They should forfeit the game against the Jets, lose first 2 round picks and pay the fine. This is to make sure no one else ever tries this or if they are, they should stop NOW before getting caught. This is just a slap on the hand as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM

I am not proud of what they may have done, still don't know what it was they actually did. All I hear is from players, active and retired, who had got their butts kicked by the Pats, and now feel they can get some type of revenge on them by tarnishing this fine organization . . . People are just finally glad to have something negative to happen to this team and are relishing in the moment. Thats fine, if it makes them not think about their sorry team, than good for them . . . [quote, PatsFan20]

Good points here. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is getting as much coverage as it is because it centers on the club that has been held up as a model of a professional sports organization, and is the closest thing to a dynasty the NFL has had since the 'Niners of the '80's and the 'Boys of the '90's. It seems people love to knock the king off the top of the hill. In fairness, maybe they're also legitimately concerned about how it represents the sport when this sort of thing involves one of the league's elite franchises. I wonder whether we'd be hearing all this non-stop talk about this incident if the team involved had been the Jags or the Lions.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,159,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I don't think the punishment makes any sense at all. The money means nothing to these guys, they make millions so a half mil is nothing to them. They should forfeit the game against the Jets, lose first 2 round picks and pay the fine. This is to make sure no one else ever tries this or if they are, they should stop NOW before getting caught. This is just a slap on the hand as far as I'm concerned.
I would like to say Thank-You to the Niners, if not for them the Pats may have lost their only 1st round pick next year ..........whew that was a close one.The commish got this one right, in my un-biased opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football