Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,886,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
OK. Fair enough. And my initial point in the first line of post 5 was that they should be happy with what they have. They already live the life and earn the type of money that the average person could only dream about.

All this stuff about holdouts is rediculous to me. For heavens sake, just be thankful for the God given talent you have been given and the opportunity that came with it.

If the holdout is because you want 8 million a year because the 6.5 you currently make is "not enough" for your talents, that means it's all about the money and not the love of the game. I recognize that sports management is a business, but I just have trouble sympathizing with people who make absurd cash doing what they love 7 months out of the year and then complaining they deserve more. There are many people in life who choose to make a little less money for the ability to work a job they love.

I can understand your opinion that they should be happy with what they have... I don't agree with it however.

I dont feel like I can tell another man he should accept being paid less than he is worth just because that amount is more than the average person. I just cant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
I think it is pretty simple. If the team ends up paying the player more money they must have thought he was worth it and the claims of being underpaid were correct. If the team doesn't pay the player more money then the claims of being underpaid are incorrect.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think it is pretty simple. If the team ends up paying the player more money they must have thought he was worth it and the claims of being underpaid were correct. If the team doesn't pay the player more money then the claims of being underpaid are incorrect.

Speaking of this... Has a player ever held out and not gotten a new contract? I can only think of the stars off the top of my head. And they always seem to get a new deal...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Speaking of this... Has a player ever held out and not gotten a new contract? I can only think of the stars off the top of my head. And they always seem to get a new deal...
It used to happen before the new CBA. A player only had to show up by week 10 I believe to still get credit for a full year towards free agency. I think Vincent Jackson did this if I remember correctly.

With the new CBA you pretty much have to report by the start of the season to get credit for a year of playing.

I also remember a few players getting traded that were holding out.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM

11,185 posts, read 10,963,202 times
Quote:
Its kind of hard to say you don't sympathize with these rich players when on the opposite side is even richer owners.
I understand your point, but two wrongs still don't make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I can understand your opinion that they should be happy with what they have... I don't agree with it however.

I dont feel like I can tell another man he should accept being paid less than he is worth just because that amount is more than the average person. I just cant...
I understand your rationale as well, so my following point will be moot, but I'll say it anyway. Who determines what they will make and how much they're worth to begin with? The ever constant demand for higher pay is generally based off of what other players of a similar calibur and position are drawing. Let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it is never enough, nor will it ever be. Also,the ammount these players make is not just "more" than the average person. The high end players alone make in one game what a brain surgeon pulls in one year of work.

I think were both looking at the principal behind the topic, just from different perspectives.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I think were both looking at the principal behind the topic, just from different perspectives.
I agree...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I understand your point, but two wrongs still don't make a right.
I don't look at it as "two wrongs". Again, it is just business. Owners protect themselvs financially. Players protect themselves financially.

I think one of the big drivers of this is not having guaranteed contracts. You don't seem to see this happening in the other pro sports.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It used to happen before the new CBA. A player only had to show up by week 10 I believe to still get credit for a full year towards free agency. I think Vincent Jackson did this if I remember correctly.

With the new CBA you pretty much have to report by the start of the season to get credit for a year of playing.

I also remember a few players getting traded that were holding out.
I understand the new CBA makes them report. But Desean Jackson didn't and still got a new deal. So without going into the specifics of the deal/rules...

Besides V. Jackson (his situation was diff because of the 3 game suspension too, so his case is unique) Can u Name a player specifically who held out and didn't get a new contract?

I can't think of another... Not trying to be funny . But seriously can you tell me one?

So to the OP's point... I don't think the team ever wins ultimately if a star player holds out. They end up paying them... See Chris Johnson and Emmitt Smith.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 04-17-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM

But the question is do they always get the contract they wanted. It certainly benefits both the player and the team to get a deal done. Player wants to get paid and the team wants them playing so it isn't a big surprise they end up reaching an agreement. I'm not sure you can say the player automatically "wins" because they sign a deal.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM

So I wonder why they tell players to never hold out... seems like a good strategy and leverage in negotiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football