U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 AM

346 posts, read 842,745 times

Advertisements

Not really a Dolphins fan (don't dislike them though...) but the big news broke today that Ryan Tannehill has been named the starter for the opener. In the article, it stated that not even Marino or Griese started the first game of their rookie season.

Tannehill definitely had a big advantage (and possibly some favoritism) as the OC Sherman was his head coach at Texas A&M last year. But they say he has had a great training camp.

I think they can win with Matt Moore (had some success towards the end of last season) and I probably would have stuck with him. He's shown flashes that he can be a solid NFL qb and is probably the safest option at this time. If things went bad, you can always bench him during the season. At the same time; I kinda admire the coaching staff for throwing the rookie into the fire and seeing if he can make something happen. Just don't know how it will turn out for him....

Fins fans; you happy with this decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM

4,890 posts, read 3,978,842 times
Keep in Mind , the QB may be the most single important position in the NFL, but defense wins games, and the Dolphins Defense is not too impressive so far. In fact they are ranked 22nd in total defense so far.

Which is why, if I were the owner, my friend and GM Barry would sit down with Sporano and talk about bolstering defense in this years draft. tannehill would never had been drafted, Gerrard would never have been invited to camp, and Brian Cox would have been the first round pick. I would have gone for defensive back help on the 2nd, and Brock Osweiller, the big guy out of Arizona (who is learning from Peyton Maning in denver instead) would have been drafted as a back up QB. The guy is a monster and has the potential to be the next big thing....literally

But you see, I am not the owner, Barry is not the GM and Sporano is not the coahc anymore. Instead we got a rookie QB without any good receiving targets, some second rate slackers filling in the gaps on defense and a losing season.

Not looking forward to watching the pesky red birds win this Sunday either.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Keep in Mind , the QB may be the most single important position in the NFL, but defense wins games, and the Dolphins Defense is not too impressive so far. In fact they are ranked 22nd in total defense so far.

Which is why, if I were the owner, my friend and GM Barry would sit down with Sporano and talk about bolstering defense in this years draft. tannehill would never had been drafted, Gerrard would never have been invited to camp, and Brian Cox would have been the first round pick. I would have gone for defensive back help on the 2nd, and Brock Osweiller, the big guy out of Arizona (who is learning from Peyton Maning in denver instead) would have been drafted as a back up QB. The guy is a monster and has the potential to be the next big thing....literally

But you see, I am not the owner, Barry is not the GM and Sporano is not the coahc anymore. Instead we got a rookie QB without any good receiving targets, some second rate slackers filling in the gaps on defense and a losing season.

Not looking forward to watching the pesky red birds win this Sunday either.
I still think Miami could've redeemed itself by leaving Tannehill on the bench this year. Ryan has no one to throw to, a pretty pedestrian O-line, and not a lot of experience at QB generally. I think he could really benefit from a year on the bench. Ryan, I fear, may be the next David Carr where he gets shell-shocked any loses any confidence he had.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Well, another season of "rebuilding" and looking at the prospects, I guess this will go on for another couple of years, until someone else buy the team, fires the GM fires the coach realizes they suck, changes the game plan.

Tannehill is NOT franchise material. I hope I am wrong on this one, but I would not put him in franchise role.

Running a team with 4,5,6 receivers (as in people who would be 4 5 6 on other teams does not work in the NFL. Sorry.

The Defensive backs are AWFUL. What about this great set of prospects? They cannot cover, they cannot catch and they cannot read defenses.

There is a huge gap on the defensive line. Did no one but myself and most of the opposing coaches notice that?

Draft Picks for next year
1st Round Defensive Line
2nd Round Cornerback
3rd Receiver. Someone fast who can go deep and disrupt safeties.

They need to Re-Sign the Offensive line, they need Free agent depth there, and they need depth at LB, Safety. They should spend some Dolphin Dollars and buy a good wide receiver, and draft 4 or 5 with a decent diamond in the rough Running back.

BUT I am not the owner (My wofe would not allow it anyway) and I am Not the GM (Although I know more about football and running a team than he does) and the Dolphins will probably suck again next year.

At least they are coming here to pay the Succaneers in a regular season game so I can at least go see them.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM

SO INTO FREE AGENCY

We got two good Linebackers, a very fast receiver that is capable of being double teamed
YET we lost our best RB and our Best Tackle.

Now the Porblem:
The Offensive line may well suck. Visions of 7 seasons ago suckage. That means regardless of how fast the receivers are, how big the Running Backs are, and how accurate the QB is, none of this will matter if the QB is out getting chased all day.

SO, Ireland needs to get on the free agent phone and get some depth and help at offensive line. Eric Winsten might be a good fit.

OR trade up in the draft to get Luke Joeckel

On the DL, they may have to use the number one pick on a DE

Which means that tomorrow The FINZ need to grab a solid CB before someone else does.
IF there is one that can do the job. If not, the #2 pick falls therein.

There are some decent running backs that can workhorse behind the FINZ line
I would hope that Ireland gets a decent free agent RB

Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Hideous !!!

Just My Opinoin, I hate it. Lamebrain Ireland darn sure better win a playoff game or two for allowing our logo to be messed up like this.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Just saw the Schedule, the FINZ come here to play the "Succaneers" on Monday Noght Football. Guess the kids will have to miss school the next day. Thanks NFL

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM

Default Using Psychic Powers for GOOD instead of evil

I am begging the wife to please buy Powerball tickets for Wednesday night so that I can start buying into the Miami Dolphins. Once I become the owner, the first order of business will be to announce the firing of Jeff Ireland and the replacement with a consortium of managers who will steer the team back to the glory days of the NFL.
No more buying questionable free agents who will tie up salary cap money and bring a style in that will not work in the longterm (Or, as we see, the short term either)
And as much as I hate the Rival Patriots, they do several things right, including teaching and coaching players to play the game in a manner that fits to the overall game plan. Which is a concept that Joe Phil Philbin may or may not have, and Ireland probably has never imagined.
SO fans, please be patient. I am working on getting the funds together to buy the team and get us back into the Super Bowls.

Oh, and that new logo is hideous. Sorry, I love the team, but that logo is........uhm.....oh I can't say that on here

Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,556,423 times
If Joe Philbin has some leeway, and good coaches working with him, it could work. He understands what it takes to win, however, requires lots of pieces and he isn't used to a meddling owner.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,470,727 times
The new logo may by the least of their worries...

Dolphins CEO: Team's future in South Florida 'clearly bleak'

After getting the brushoff from the Florida Legislature, the Dolphins face a future in South Florida that's “clearly bleak,” team CEO Mike Dee said in a TV interview.

Speaking to WFOR-TV in Miami, Dee said the Dolphins won't pay for any renovations to 26-year-old Sun Life Stadium. Team officials are angry the legislature ended its session Friday without approving a deal that would have provided taxpayer funding for the remodeling plan. Dee insisted the Dolphins were prepared to pay 70 percent of the cost, estimated at $350 million to $400 million.

"We cannot do this without a private-public partnership," Dee said in the interview, via ESPN.com and the Associated Press. "At this time we have no intention of investing more."

Asked about the Dolphins' long-term future in South Florida, Dee said: "I wouldn't want to prognosticate what the future holds, but it's clearly bleak,” according to the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football