U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 AM

6,614 posts, read 10,673,882 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in practice Miami Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill re-injured his knee, the prognosis is not good: from six weeks on the sidelines to season-ending surgery.

My view is that Tannehill is an adequate quarterback, but not great, nonetheless a potential winner if surrounded by a powerful, running-game worthy offensive line and a game-changing defense, neither of which the Dolphins have had consistently, if at all, during the Tannehill era.

The Dolphins back-up quarterback is veteran Matt Moore. I thought he played adequately enough the last four games of the regular season when the defense and offensive line, both also increasingly banged up, did not play up to potential, to put it nicely.

As a replacement for Tannehill, some sportswriters are speculating on the resuscitation of names like Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, RJG III, and even the dreadful former 49er.

In the 2017 draft, trade and free agency season, the Dolphins finally focused on defense. If that gels, and the offensive line stays healthy, I think they can be competitive no matter who the quarterback is, and Matt Moore is adequate enough.

My gut feeling is that the Dolphins should stick with Matt Moore, try to develop a young talent as a back-up and focus on solidifying the defense and offensive line.

What say you? Should the Dolphins try to bring in one or similar of the players above or stick with what they have and develop a youngster, even at the risk of sub-500 season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,124,122 times
Matt Moore's been with the Fins since 2011, and should be given the opportunity to lead Miami as the starting QB. He knows the system, and could develop into "the guy" much quicker and better than some of the others out there who have never even been on this team. Give Moore the reins, and bring in others only as needed.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
I wouldn't consider this a huge loss but then again I don't know how the Dolphins managed to make it to the playoffs last year. So maybe Tannehill is better than I perceive him.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:55 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I wouldn't consider this a huge loss but then again I don't know how the Dolphins managed to make it to the playoffs last year. So maybe Tannehill is better than I perceive him.
What helped Tannehill was the back out of Boise State, Jay Ajahi. Jay had a nasty knee injury when he played at Boise State, there might have been some pause about him with the NFL scouts, but he rushed for 1272 yards with a 4.9 yards per gain. Tannehill had decent stats as well, IIRC he was injured for 4 games, but passed for nearly 3000 yards.

It still will be a matter of outscoring the opposition though. The Dolphins were 29th in the league in defense last year. They'll need a fast start come regular season as they open with winnable games against the Buccaneers, Chargers, and the Jets. They go against the NFC South this year and surprisingly they play all the AFC West teams this year.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
What helped Tannehill was the back out of Boise State, Jay Ajahi. Jay had a nasty knee injury when he played at Boise State, there might have been some pause about him with the NFL scouts, but he rushed for 1272 yards with a 4.9 yards per gain. Tannehill had decent stats as well, IIRC he was injured for 4 games, but passed for nearly 3000 yards.
Even Ajayi had a weird season too. Three 200 yard games against two teams (Billsx2 and Steelers). That's six hundred yards. Or in other words, half the yards he rushed for on the season in just three games. He had some pretty poor rushing performances in-between those 200 yard rushing performances. While he had three great performances he really lacked in consistency so it's hard to know what he will do this year.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 PM

6,614 posts, read 10,673,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Even Ajayi had a weird season too. Three 200 yard games against two teams (Billsx2 and Steelers). That's six hundred yards. Or in other words, half the yards he rushed for on the season in just three games. He had some pretty poor rushing performances in-between those 200 yard rushing performances. While he had three great performances he really lacked in consistency so it's hard to know what he will do this year.
The key to understanding that is the health of the offensive line, namely center Mike Pouncey, who missed a good chunk of the season, and guard (now tackle) Laremy Tunsil, who missed two games. Pouncey has a chronic hip problem, he is still tender, he may never fully recover.

Moreover, as Double H mentions, the key this year is the quality of the defense, especially the front seven, where the Dolphins have acquired new players through draft, free agency and trade. We just don't know how they will perform on the field, play in play out. Last year's defense was often poor on tackling, they rarely penetrated the line of scrimmage, and they lost their best player, safety Reshad Jones, early in the season; on the other hand, the secondary, as well as linebacker Kiko Alonso, did make some spectacular interceptions at crucial moments.

But they need the front seven to penetrate the line of scrimmage much more consistently and to make, what, 90% of tackles on first hit, not 50% (I don't know the actual numbers, but it feels like the right order of magnitude).

An underperforming defense and injuries on the offensive line could make this a long and disappointing season for the Dolphins.

Let's hope for the best!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
the FINZ have not gone about making the O-Line the Priority. I was going to draft Offensive line before any QB, but they told me that they were not hiring cats......at least not to be GM and gave the job to someone else. We see now how well that worked out.

A solid O Line must come first.

As for the QBs above, Moore is an adequet QB. The others, I would not take. The one with the gib hair who played for the 49ers has never played ina scheme likethe FINZ have, so he would not be a good fit. Nor would anyone who is injury prone behond that line.

On the other side of the ball, defense can win in the NFL and the team should solidify, although they are still overpaying Suh thanks to a bad former GM.

The Big question is how they will find room to squeeze another AFC EAST pennent onto Foxboro Field and which finger Bellicheck is putting his next ring on.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,124,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
the FINZ have not gone about making the O-Line the Priority. I was going to draft Offensive line before any QB, but they told me that they were not hiring cats......at least not to be GM and gave the job to someone else. We see now how well that worked out.

A solid O Line must come first.

As for the QBs above, Moore is an adequet QB. The others, I would not take. The one with the gib hair who played for the 49ers has never played ina scheme likethe FINZ have, so he would not be a good fit. Nor would anyone who is injury prone behond that line.

On the other side of the ball, defense can win in the NFL and the team should solidify, although they are still overpaying Suh thanks to a bad former GM.

The Big question is how they will find room to squeeze another AFC EAST pennent onto Foxboro Field and which finger Bellicheck is putting his next ring on.
Cat, some may think it's flaunting, but my understanding is that BB's considering attaching Super Bowl rings to his ears.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,370,127 times
The man lives on! I was looking forward of hearing him in the broadcast booth but that can wait. I'm excited for another year of Cutler in uniform.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 PM

This must mean Tannehill is going to be getting the surgery I would think. Pretty big slap in the face to Matt Moore who's been a good back up for the Dolphins for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football