U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 05:17 PM

6,608 posts, read 10,671,815 times

Advertisements

Quick summary.

Dolphins squeaked by the LA Chargers today 19-17. Jay Ajayi rushed for more than 100 yards and Cody Parker kicked four field goals, including the game winner with less than two minutes to play.

But perhaps the biggest story in this game was the LA Chargers field goal kicker who missed, I believe, three field goals, including a 44-yarder in the last few seconds. I expect to Chargers to fire him during the week; he failed to kick a potential game-tying field goal last week against the Denver Broncos.

The Miami defense was relatively strong against the run, but weak on the pass rush, giving up a lot of short and medium-range passes, but nothing long. The Dolphins are really thin at linebacker; for some unknown reason, veteran Lawrence Timmons, acquired during the off-season, left the team and did not show up for the game.

Coach Adam Gase's offensive game plan was very conservative (Ajayi more than 100 yards); as a result, Jay Cutler was not spectacular, but adequate, he made good passes when he had to on the one touchdown and four field-goal drives, distributing them nicely among mainly Miami's three wide receivers, plus a few to the tight end and running backs.

I believe there were no turnovers in this game and relatively few penalties.

So give credit to the offensive line and Jay Ajayi, but most of all demerits to the field goal kicker of the LA Chargers who otherwise played well enough to win.

But the win goes to the Dolphins, and a win is a win.

Next week Dolphins travel to New York to play the low-flying Jets, wings badly clipped today by the Oakland Raiders. Game time 1PM EST.

Advantageous for Dolphins to play in New York early in the season, while the Jets visit Miami in October, perhaps still early enough to be hot and humid to bother the visitors. However the Dolphins play December games at Buffalo, and at New England at night. Altogether they play a stupid London game in two weeks, four stupid night games, and they have no bye week.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 09-17-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times
Good win by the Dolphins; 2 wins in a row against the Chargers for Miami.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:36 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Congrats to the Miami Dolphins!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times
A WIN is a WIN even an ugly one. I am Glad MY FINZ won (They may be YOUR FINZ too)

Teams like the low flying Jets scare me because the team may not take them seriously enough going into the week. I would hope that this being the NFL and the fact that these are professionals would negate my concerns, but over the years, I have seen this happen time and time again when the mindset is "We got this...easy win" and something goes horribly wrong.......

Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM

838 posts, read 588,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
A WIN is a WIN even an ugly one. I am Glad MY FINZ won (They may be YOUR FINZ too)

Teams like the low flying Jets scare me because the team may not take them seriously enough going into the week. I would hope that this being the NFL and the fact that these are professionals would negate my concerns, but over the years, I have seen this happen time and time again when the mindset is "We got this...easy win" and something goes horribly wrong.......

Your fear simply isn't going to happen. No one in Miami is taking anything for granted. Gase said himself that he held the offense back with his play calling, but he had some questions that needed to be answered, that this game took care of. I think he was concerned with Steen starting at LG, and wanted to see what the young man had. The Chargers have a stout defense, which was on display this game. Cutler was also rusty, having not played any real football in a year and a half.

Now that the rust has been shaken off, and Gase has confidence in Steen, we will see the playbook open up next week against the Jets. I still expect a close game, as our defense is still feeling everything out. I expect a 2 TD performance from Cutler, no interceptions, and another 100 plus yards from Ajayi with a TD. The jets are going to score, but not more than twice. 21-14 Miami with some field goals thrown in on both sides.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,083,678 times
^^^^ Good post. I agree completely and hope it turns out as you predict. Being a Bears fan since youth I have watched Cutler these past years and I am glad to see him back with Gase. Gase understands Cutlers shortcomings and works with what he has. I would expect a more conservative Jay Cutler as that is when he makes less mistakes. The Bears always expected him to do too much and let's face it, Jay is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He has a much stronger arm. But really plays best when following a system that doesn't rely on him to do too much or force plays. And hey...he already is used to playing with a bad O line so he shouldn't be too caught of guard with a few sacks per game as long as he can hang on to the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Your fear simply isn't going to happen. No one in Miami is taking anything for granted. Gase said himself that he held the offense back with his play calling, but he had some questions that needed to be answered, that this game took care of. I think he was concerned with Steen starting at LG, and wanted to see what the young man had. The Chargers have a stout defense, which was on display this game. Cutler was also rusty, having not played any real football in a year and a half.

Now that the rust has been shaken off, and Gase has confidence in Steen, we will see the playbook open up next week against the Jets. I still expect a close game, as our defense is still feeling everything out. I expect a 2 TD performance from Cutler, no interceptions, and another 100 plus yards from Ajayi with a TD. The jets are going to score, but not more than twice. 21-14 Miami with some field goals thrown in on both sides.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Whole different karma with this team since about game six of last season. The Dolphins always seemed to lose these close ones thru the years; and that was your gut feeling whenever they were involved in a close 4th quarter game, particularly vs a team with superior talent. Now, whether it is a missed fg by the opponent, an INT return for a TD, a kickoff return for a TD, 55 yard successful field goals to send games to OT, this team just finds a way.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 PM

Default No.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM

1. Offensive line cannot block.
2 defense cannot tackle
3 qb has no chance
4 coach saidsomething like "our offense is terrible "
Well coach glad you noticed

Old 10-01-2017, 02:45 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Wow- how embarrassing- it is not an overstatement during a decade run, the New Orleans Saints have sported the worst defense in NFL history. Wasn't expecting the Dolphins to win, but was assuming Miami would put up at least high 20's on offense, especially after last week's debacle. Too much talent at the skill positions to be that anemic on offense. Hard to believe after what Adam Gase accomplished with this team as last year wore on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football