Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

i am not sure that we can yet call RGlll a bust, he did start off well in his rookie season, and since has been plagued with injuries. he is still young enough to rehabilitate his nfl career, but he needs to get with a coach that will use him properly, and teach him how to protect himself.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:51 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am not sure that we can yet call RGlll a bust, he did start off well in his rookie season, and since has been plagued with injuries. he is still young enough to rehabilitate his nfl career, but he needs to get with a coach that will use him properly, and teach him how to protect himself.
You are putting it on the coaches in Washington when it's really on the player. He had a coach that used him properly. Griffin got him fired after marching into that coach's office and demanding that he not run any read option plays. Griff insisted on being a pocket passer so the owner placated him and got him an established pocket passing coach. And that guy couldn't make it work either. And every single coach has told him to protect himself, he simply hasn't gotten the message. The guy literally did not know how to slide, how embarrassing is that? Coaches worked with him and he's better but every Redskin fan cringed with every attempt as it looked like his cleat would catch and his leg would snap in half. The big hits he took in his last game as a Redskin? Most were on him for calling the wrong protection or failing to get rid of the ball on time.

I'm telling you this guy has a lot of growing up to do before anything will happen. His lack of pocket awareness and basic QB instincts are not something you can learn IMO. He simply does not have them and it will limit him forever even with all the other tools he has.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:40 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What about Randall Cunningham? He was known for being a running quarterback, but he actually converted himself into a decent passer as he got older.

I am proud of Tyrod Taylor - of course since he's a former Hokie! Beamer's offense has some read option in it, but it's not quite like the Baylor offense. The quarterback was responsible for going through his check downs before passing. I think what gives Taylor an advantage over the other quarterbacks is that he has had a couple years of sitting behind one of the better quarterbacks in the league (Flacco) and learning from his game as opposed to getting thrown in the fire. I would say Taylor is ready to start at this point.
Randall did not come from that spread type of offense - I don't think.

The QBs I am referring to came from the John Jenkins, June Jones, Art Briles, and Kevin Sumlin style of college offense.

I didn't realize Taylor was a Hokie... I wonder if he is from VA somewhere? Gives me another reason to hope he does well except vs. the Eagles.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I just can't remember any QB having so much national media coverage. He was seriously up there with Lebron in terms of the hype and expectations.

Imagine the Cavaliers giving up multiple draft picks for years to get Lebron. After a successful rookie season, he then goes on to average 11, 5 and 3, and then loses his starting position to somebody like Jeff Green.

That's sort of what this feels like. RG3 is not the biggest bust in NFL history (if we can even call him a bust at all), but I'm not sure if there's been a bigger disappointment considering his pre-NFL hype and the heavy price the Redskins paid to acquire him.
There have been some big ones... Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware won the Heisman, Brady Quinn, Ryan Leaf (my choice for #1 bust), JaMarcus Russell

Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
I just can't remember any QB having so much national media coverage. He was seriously up there with Lebron in terms of the hype and expectations.

Imagine the Cavaliers giving up multiple draft picks for years to get Lebron. After a successful rookie season, he then goes on to average 11, 5 and 3, and then loses his starting position to somebody like Jeff Green.

That's sort of what this feels like. RG3 is not the biggest bust in NFL history (if we can even call him a bust at all), but I'm not sure if there's been a bigger disappointment considering his pre-NFL hype and the heavy price the Redskins paid to acquire him.
Lebron is one of history's great basketball players. RGIII was an above average college QB and an NFL rookie who had a cheat code for defenses for a few months in 2012.

I think a better example would have been Montana out of Notre Dame, Young out of BYU or Elway out of Stanford.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
This thread is seen its better days...may close it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Lebron is one of history's great basketball players. RGIII was an above average college QB and an NFL rookie who had a cheat code for defenses for a few months in 2012.

I think a better example would have been Montana out of Notre Dame, Young out of BYU or Elway out of Stanford.
A Heisman trophy winner who threw for over 4,200 yards and 37 TDs (with 6 INTs) his senior year was only "above average"?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:38 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
This thread is seen its better days...may close it.
YES. Thanks Oildog!

Fortunately the bantering on this thread has been pretty civil. I believe 685 posts covers this debate and then some. I'll give this thread till tonight for people to weigh in one last time and then the thread will be closed.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:08 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Daniel Snyder is the biggest problem (and common denominator) of the situation in Washington.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:09 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
A Heisman trophy winner who threw for over 4,200 yards and 37 TDs (with 6 INTs) his senior year was only "above average"?
Yes. RG3 is Vince Young 2.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football