U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 AM

17,579 posts, read 40,131,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Folks, it's an All-Star Game, not the Super Bowl.

Does it really have to be that competitive?
It has to be entertaining in some fashion. Otherwise why have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,436,070 times
I think I had this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I mentioned this in the other Pro Bowl thread and I'll say it agin...

The Pro Bowl is not going anywhere because the ratings are high. We are on complaining about it but the ratings don't reflect what we are saying.

The NFL is still a business.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM
JJG

13,263 posts, read 19,357,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It has to be entertaining in some fashion. Otherwise why have it?
Because it's really not about entertainment value to a lot of these guys. They are in Hawai'i afterall....

The only reason why it will be competitive is because Daddy Goodell wants it to be.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,207,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Because it's really not about entertainment value to a lot of these guys. They are in Hawai'i afterall....

The only reason why it will be competitive is because Daddy Goodell wants it to be.
As much as I dislike Goodell, nothing could be farther from the truth. I sincerely doubt that was Goodell's voice you heard booing on the second snap of the game. Fans dont want to see that junk. Ratings werent that impressive for the probowl where u would be crippled if you canned it.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,436,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Fans dont want to see that junk. Ratings werent that impressive for the probowl where u would be crippled if you canned it.
that's not fully true... The numbers were down from the previous year but It still won all the prime time slots... From 8pm to 11pm avging 10Million viewers. You might think that's nothing but that means the game was a HUGE profit for the NFL. no way they are letting that go. Anytime you win the time slots on a Sunday it's a big deal.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM

3,729 posts, read 3,933,749 times
I agree, throw in a skills competition and let that be the focus. Football is different from the other sports where you can't just half go in it. It looks bad and the quality of the game suffers.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 AM

21 posts, read 27,058 times
Skills competition was why I always watched the Pro Bowl week, or whatever the hell they called it. The Pro Bowl is definitely terrible, what's even worse is they actually have an MVP. Nothing like being given something you really didn't do much for.

MLB is probably the best for these events. I look forward to the HR Derby more, but at least their AS is watchable because they indeed are competing for home field.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,408,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
Skills competition was why I always watched the Pro Bowl week, or whatever the hell they called it. The Pro Bowl is definitely terrible, what's even worse is they actually have an MVP. Nothing like being given something you really didn't do much for.

MLB is probably the best for these events. I look forward to the HR Derby more, but at least their AS is watchable because they indeed are competing for home field.
The nba and MLB are clearly the two best for WS weekend. Mpersonally,mid give the nba the edge as the game is actually an enjoyable watch.

I've literally never watched a pro bowl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football