U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,575,896 times
Reputation: 2829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
There is a flaw in our system much like the NFL where once again the 11-5 Patriots sat home while the 8-8 Chargers went to the playoffs.
I don't like having a thousand divisions. However, you say that a five-loss team deserved a chance to win it all. Meanwhile, a no-loss team got no such chance. The two situations are not equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,672,877 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I don't like having a thousand divisions. However, you say that a five-loss team deserved a chance to win it all. Meanwhile, a no-loss team got no such chance. The two situations are not equal.

No it proves the NFL has it's problems just as college football does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,575,896 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
No it proves the NFL has it's problems just as college football does.
"Having problems" does not mean "having the same problems." Honestly, get some sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,672,877 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
"Having problems" does not mean "having the same problems." Honestly, get some sense.

NO your right the team that went 18-1 last year one of the best teams EVER in the NFL and goes 11-5 the next season. However they don't get in the playoffs because they didn't win their division but the 8-8 Chargers do. Hmmm maybe you need some sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,659,378 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
NO your right the team that went 18-1 last year one of the best teams EVER in the NFL and goes 11-5 the next season. However they don't get in the playoffs because they didn't win their division but the 8-8 Chargers do. Hmmm maybe you need some sense.
Just win your games. If the Pats would have taken care of their division, then they would have been in the playoffs. And the Chargers did just enough to win theirs.

The problem with college is you can win all your games and still not get a chance to win it all. That's the main difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,672,877 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Just win your games. If the Pats would have taken care of their division, then they would have been in the playoffs. And the Chargers did just enough to win theirs.

The problem with college is you can win all your games and still not get a chance to win it all. That's the main difference.
Hey I agree and thats why I would venture to say the majority of college football fans want a playoff. If you look at games could have had this year like Texas vs USC or Florida vs Utah it makes you want for a playoff more than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,260,590 times
Reputation: 558
College football needs a post season, not a bowl season. Bowl system is literally only still in existence b/c of the money it generates for all the schools. I say we do top 8 playoffs and make the debate on who #8 should be and not whose #1 & 2. Plus playoffs could bring back home field advantage. I would love to see florida or USC have to come play somewhere like the shoe or the big house in january. The only thing college has better than the NFL is overtime, NFL overtime is retarded with kickers making 60 yd FGs to win without the other team getting a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,659,378 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
College football needs a post season, not a bowl season. Bowl system is literally only still in existence b/c of the money it generates for all the schools. I say we do top 8 playoffs and make the debate on who #8 should be and not whose #1 & 2. Plus playoffs could bring back home field advantage. I would love to see florida or USC have to come play somewhere like the shoe or the big house in january. The only thing college has better than the NFL is overtime, NFL overtime is retarded with kickers making 60 yd FGs to win without the other team getting a chance.
The argument about both teams not getting a chance in OT is ridiculous. In OT, defense and special teams are just as important as offense. In your scenario, the other team did have a chance, but the defense couldn't stop them.

A few years back the Bears won back to back OT games with an INT for a TD, by the same guy actually. The offense never took the field in OT and they still won. There is a lot more to football than just offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Reputation: 29451
It's easier to march against a defense than it is to make a stand against an offense, especially when all it takes to win a game is a field goal. If it were an even match, the team that receives the ball in OT would only win the game half the time instead of 60% of the time like they do now -- and by the way, that percentage increased when the kickoff spot was moved back to the 30 yard line. I agree the NCAA has a better overtime scenario. Or, another alternative would be the first team to score at least 5 points wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
 
342 posts, read 612,647 times
Reputation: 133
thats what make college football so great, the debate over the playoff system and who school is the best. ive always loved college football but after seeing the 2005 rosebowl game texas vs usc. that game made me fall in love with the game even more because that was one of the greatest college games in a while, and i havnt seen a superbowl that good in a while. college is always going to take the vote from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top