U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 AM

8,343 posts, read 14,108,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's easier to march against a defense than it is to make a stand against an offense, especially when all it takes to win a game is a field goal. If it were an even match, the team that receives the ball in OT would only win the game half the time instead of 60% of the time like they do now -- and by the way, that percentage increased when the kickoff spot was moved back to the 30 yard line. I agree the NCAA has a better overtime scenario. Or, another alternative would be the first team to score at least 5 points wins.
There was a thread on the NFL's overtime rules some time back; but I think this is a good idea. Why not ban field goals in the NFL overtime? You could not really say first to 5; as a safety is only 2 points and should still win you the game if you get one. I think simply banning field goals in OT would really level the playing field without a crapshoot system like the NCAA has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
Peewee football beats the crap out of college football. They don't even have a bowl system, let alone a playoff. I love the debate.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,988,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
What is more entertaining to watch: College Football or NFL?
College. That goes for basketball, too. If I had a second choice, it would be high school.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,243,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
There was a thread on the NFL's overtime rules some time back; but I think this is a good idea. Why not ban field goals in the NFL overtime? You could not really say first to 5; as a safety is only 2 points and should still win you the game if you get one. I think simply banning field goals in OT would really level the playing field without a crapshoot system like the NCAA has.
Well, it doesn't really bother me that a safety could win the game -- as long as the team scoring safety has already scored a field goal. If you get sacked or fumble out of the end zone or whatever on your possession, well, you probably deserve to lose the game. I'm not too keen on banning field goals altogether; it takes too much of the special teams element out of the picture and special teams are still an important part of the game.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,673,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Peewee football beats the crap out of college football. They don't even have a bowl system, let alone a playoff. I love the debate.

once again, you could have a playoff system like the NFL where a team in the Super Bowl the previous season and is 11-5 missed the playoffs. While a team goes 8-8 and gets into the playoffs, like the Pats and Chargers this year. So once more your system isn't perfect either.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
once again, you could have a playoff system like the NFL where a team in the Super Bowl the previous season and is 11-5 missed the playoffs. While a team goes 8-8 and gets into the playoffs, like the Pats and Chargers this year. So once more your system isn't perfect either.
Once again, if two things are flawed, they are not necessarily equally flawed.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Once again, if two things are flawed, they are not necessarily equally flawed.

No but I would say one of the best teams in NFL history not making the playoff despite being 11-5 while the 8-8 Chargers do, maybe not the best system.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
No but I would say one of the best teams in NFL history not making the playoff despite being 11-5 while the 8-8 Chargers do, maybe not the best system.
What? Based on years past??

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
What? Based on years past??

So your saying the Pats weren't one of the best teams ever. Does the 11-5 record not give cause to the fact that maybe they were a good team? Or are 8 wins some how better than 11 in your book?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,243,749 times
Good thing you're a Packers fan. That means chances are you have plenty of cheese to go with all that whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or