U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Would you girls get a room, geezofreakinmighty. This is worse than listening to my 2 nieces cat fight.

It's the off season what do you want. No games to fight about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,303,122 times
Well staying on topic would be kind of nice. Or you could start up a "pointless catfighting about football" thread.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Well staying on topic would be kind of nice. Or you could start up a "pointless catfighting about football" thread.
How 'bout you, do you have some thin mints?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,233,397 times
Yeah guys, I don't mind you all debating, but do please stay on topic. Nothing personal, just trying to keep things in order

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
Lightbulb NFL vs. College Football

I've felt this way for a long time so tell me what you think.For years teams and players lose their eligibility for bowl games or to play based on signing with agents but if these guys are going to become pros anyway then what is the problem?All college sports are televised on stations like ESPN where standout players can show their skills and then they wonder why a guy accepts a car from an agent and then his team is not allowed in tournament play.Maybe college sports should not be televised on major networks to avoid this from potentially happening and maybe stations like ESPN should just show NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL games only.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM

59 posts, read 35,827 times
There was a lawsuit from former college players against the NCAA I believe.They said the NCAA made tons of money off their images in games like NCAA football among other things, and the players got nothing. It is intresting how everyone from ESPN, Fox, NCAA, the BCS makes a fortune on these guys and they get just a free education. Granted that is worth alot of money bu no where near the profits the other guys get.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut21 View Post
There was a lawsuit from former college players against the NCAA I believe.They said the NCAA made tons of money off their images in games like NCAA football among other things, and the players got nothing. It is intresting how everyone from ESPN, Fox, NCAA, the BCS makes a fortune on these guys and they get just a free education. Granted that is worth alot of money bu no where near the profits the other guys get.
This is my point.The schools make a ton of money from the alumi and television rights and they just allow the athlete to attend school there. Now it might be an expensive education but it doesn't physically cost the school anything to give a scholarship to someone who can play a sport but can't add 2+2. Now if the major networks weren't televising games, would they still be giving out scholarships like this? Obviously not.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
This is my point.The schools make a ton of money from the alumi and television rights and they just allow the athlete to attend school there. Now it might be an expensive education but it doesn't physically cost the school anything to give a scholarship to someone who can play a sport but can't add 2+2.
Scholorship athletes take seats away from paying students, and there are costs associated with having any student at a college. So yes, it does cost something to give an athlete, let alone hundreds of them, a scholorship.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,860,578 times
They should stop using college football as the minor league system for the NFL, and start farm systems for NFL teams similar to baseball. Its a waste handing out scholarships to football players whose only goal is to go to the NFL, and wouldn't even be smart enough to get into college based on their academics.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM

59 posts, read 35,827 times
Just based off of commercials during games the colleges use athletics to recruit students there not just student athletes. Yes some athletes are there because they major in football but I don't think that causing the university to have a severe shortage of students. Look at Florida, that have enough money to pay Charleston Southern 450K to get their butt whooped. They made around 1.5 million from the National Championship game last year, so their football team is bringing in money for the university, if they want to spend it on allowing more students, hiring more professors, thats their call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or