Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

College Football without question. For all of the reasons stated above.

Also because of tradition, Red River Rivalry anyone? Doesn't get any better than that.

Conference Championship games?? Awesome!!

And I can go down the street to home of The Tulsa Golden Hurricane and watch some great FBS football for 6 bucks!!! Good luck whit that one at an NFL game. Shoot I went to a Sooners game last year against KU and paid 30 bucks for a ticket, great seats too!!

CFB>NFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I love both, and it would really be impossible to pick one or the other. Though, I will take a Saturday afternoon at Ross-Aide over a Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium. I can actually go to a Purdue game without being accosted by scores of drunken buffoons. Except for Ohio State fans, I can trash talk other teams fans without getting into a fight. It is all in fun, and from my experience most college fans understand that. I also like hanging out in West Lafayette.

Though, the Colts games are fun as well. Downtown Indianapolis (and a lot of cities for their respective teams) transforms into a Colts village on game days. Pretty cool.

I don't know, it is really apples and oranges to me. I couldn't definitively say I prefer one over the other.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
College Football by far; the atmosphere is so energetic. I love the bands playing in the background too.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
yeah i admit theres more pride in college football but i prefer the nfl, just because of they're playoff system. i don't like the college system, because a team thats 9 and 7 could be higher ranked than a team 11 and 5

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
yeah i admit theres more pride in college football but i prefer the nfl, just because of they're playoff system. i don't like the college system, because a team thats 9 and 7 could be higher ranked than a team 11 and 5
It sounds like you are talking about the NFL. College teams only play a maximum of 14 games.

You must be talking about the 11-5 NFL team that didn't make the playoffs this year.

Four other teams that did were 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, and 9-6-1.

Playoff systems aren't perfect either.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
And I can go down the street to home of The Tulsa Golden Hurricane and watch some great FBS football for 6 bucks!!! Good luck whit that one at an NFL game. Shoot I went to a Sooners game last year against KU and paid 30 bucks for a ticket, great seats too!!

CFB>NFL
Another reason you touch on that I failed to enumerate: proliferation.

No matter where you live, it is very likely there is college football there or near there. My area is very odd, as an urban accumulation of 200K people lacking any form of college football. But within 2-3 hours of me are teams in Division I-A, I-AA and II. If it was important for me to attend college football every weekend, I could easily do so. And most Americans (and some Canadians) are far closer to CFB than I am. So if you're in Golden, CO, probably your team is Mines. In El Paso, probably UTEP. But only in the most sparsely populated parts of the US is it possible to get very far from college football. In some parts, you couldn't live fifty miles away from the sport if you tried (who would want that?).

Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
There also seems to be less Prima donna's in college football as well.

Also a lot of variety in the systems. I remember seeing Navy, the Option team, vs Texas Tech in a bowl game. No you could not have a wider gap in offense systems than that. There is nothing like that in the NFL, everything is pretty similar.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
College football is a farce. The big plays result from unfair recruiting, stupid financial structure and ridiculous competition setups. Eat it up, suckers. NFL all the way.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
College football is a farce. The big plays result from unfair recruiting, stupid financial structure and ridiculous competition setups. Eat it up, suckers. NFL all the way.

Just off the top of my head here Quan Cosbys last minute TD catch vs Ohio St happened because Ohio St doesn't get as many quality recruits as Texas?

How by your argument does a team like Utah who last year wasn't ranked and beat Bama who was #1 in the country for most of the season?

How does Ole MIss who was anything but a quality team last year beat the National Champ and a top 14 team this year?

Sorry your "argument" doesn't hold any water.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
NFL...its no contest. College football is a joke...a popularity contest with no chance for a surprise team to come out of nowhere and win it. Its fixed. Plus, the level of competition is so much better in the pros. Plus, in college, good teams purposely schedule crappy teams that they know they will murder, just so they can pad their stats for the polls. Its ridiculous.

I would honestly rather watch arena football over college football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football