U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM

335 posts, read 1,109,868 times

Advertisements

3 and oh!!! who would thunk it in the preseason. I can not tell you all the stuff that was said that they had no offense, how can you have no offense with number 4 on your team!!!!! way to go pack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,351,766 times
Default Yes, yes they are

Here is the thing -

For so, say, the last 8 or 9 seasons, I have been bellowing to people (not that anyone will listen) that like all QBs in NFL history, Favre - as great as he is - needs talent around him to perform and look good. Two seasons ago when everyone thought Favre was washed up, making a fool out of himself, and even he thought that it seems, I kept telling folks how little talent the guy had, and yeah, he was forcing alot of dumb passes/plays because he had no talent around him.

Now...people act shocked that the guy is performing again. It isn't because magically he got much better again - he's always been this great player - it is because the guys around him are good.

Sure, the fact that we have no running game / RBs has been well documented. This is certainly the weakness of the team.

However, our receiving core is actually quite good. Donald Driver is a very good #1 (although actually would be better suited as an excellent #2 - that is how good Favre is), rookie James Jones will be one of the surprise rookies of the year and is already showing himself to be a really good #3, and Greg Jennings, as he showed yesterday in his first game back from injury, is a really good #2. So right there, you have 3 very solid, very good WRs for Bret, something that Bret has not had in years (3 really good WRs). All of a sudden - look out passing game.

Throw in TEs Bubba Franks and Donald Lee who both seem revitalized this year and rejuvinated and playing like their old selves again (eg: both being very credible receiving TE threats), rookie RBs Jackson and Wynn being credible dump-off pass receivers, and an offensive line who looks pretty darn capable, and you have a heckuva good passing scheme around Brett for Brett to do his thing in.

So offensively, nope, the Pack aren't going to be great runners this year, but they should be able to move the ball quite well through the air all season long.

Then...you throw in their big, major strength - defense - which is just so good and solid that their weakness on D appears to be the secondary (which is not too shabby considering your starting CBs are Woodsen and Harris), and teams aren't going to be able to just out-gun the Pack.

So...strong passing offense...really strong defense...good special teams (with a really good kicker in Crosby)...and yes, this Packers' team is for real. The way the Bears have started out after their turmulous offseason and with their bad QB, while I by no means am writing them off with that talent on D, considering the history of Super Bowl losers the following season, I think the Pack has a really good shot at competing for the NFC North championship. Then...once you'd hit the playoffs...especially in the NFC, it could be anyone's game.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,506,797 times
Did someone say 'backpack'?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,181,981 times
They look pretty good, I'm stoked Go Packers

Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM

673 posts, read 2,921,427 times
I hope we're back!!! WHOOO HOOO!!! I went to the doctor yesterday wearing my GB Packer shirt (someone had to represent in VA) and he put up three fingers and then made a fist and said, do you know what this means?? THREE AND OOOOO!!!! LOL HELL YEAH!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM

23,668 posts, read 33,529,145 times
slow down yall. the lack of a good experienced running is going to hold the packers back at some point. let's not give them the NFC north yet. 13 games to go. Bears are finally going to griese, detroit has a crazy offense that just got back kevin jones, and adrian peterson is tearing up the place and holcomb wont wreck the vikings. just wait and see.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM

673 posts, read 2,921,427 times
Heck I'm not worried about the divison yet, I'm just glad we're winning! Especially compared to last season

Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,351,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
slow down yall. the lack of a good experienced running is going to hold the packers back at some point. let's not give them the NFC north yet. 13 games to go. Bears are finally going to griese, detroit has a crazy offense that just got back kevin jones, and adrian peterson is tearing up the place and holcomb wont wreck the vikings. just wait and see.
I agree that in terms of a division title, it is overly premature to annoint anyone in the division.

But the question was "is the Pack back?" in terms of, are they good, relevant yet, and the answer to that question is definitively, yes. They are a very good football team.

And, let's point out some things...

You stated, "Bears are finally going to Griese"....now, good Lord, while the Bears are loaded with defensive talent and I by no means am counting them out yet, let's not act like replacing Grossman with Griese is like replacing Montana with Steve Young. Griese is bad. He's had the roles he's had in his career because he is what he is - a semi-reliable, 2nd string NFL QB. Sure, he may be an upgrade to Grossman (although I am not so sure about that), but he's surely not a difference maker.

Detroit is certainly interesting and does seem to have some dangerous threats offensively. However, their defense is a major question mark, and they just lost 56-21 to an Eagles team that lost 16-13 to the Packers just two weeks before. Again, week-to-week outcomes don't mean everything, and I fully cede that Detroit can be scary this year, but they don't exactly strike fear into my heart.

The Vikings?? Holcomb makes Griese look like a Pro Bowler and indeed, Adrian Peterson is a great RB to have, but there are a whole heckuva lotta pieces missing in MN. I have no doubt that MN will win some games - heck, they always have a shot at beating the Pack, especially in the 'Dome - but this team isn't talented enough over the course of the season to match up with the Packers or Bears. 13-10 with KC? It is going to be a long year in Minnesota.

As for the Packers, yes, the absence of an experienced - or, as you pointed out with Peterson in Minnesota - a good (regardless of experience) RB is their obvious key weakness. It could hurt this year somewhat. However, with the potentially explosive passing game that we posses and the defense that rivals the Bears for the best in the NFC North, I think that that shortcoming won't by any stretch ding us the way others can and will in the NFC and especially the NFC North. I keep hearing how flawed the Packers are because of the running game - tell me who in the NFC isn't flawed in at least one key area???! With our three straight wins versus playoff teams from last year, I keep hearing how flawed the Eagles, Giants, and Chargers have become this year - well again, then tell me who in the NFC isn't flawed??! The Bears (who just got creamed at home versus Dallas)??!

Bottom-line. Are the Packers shoo-ins for the NFC North crown or a great year? Absolutely not. However, they are currently one of the top teams in the NFC, should likely stay that way given their QB, receiving, and defensive talents, and will very likely compete for a good playoff spot.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

335 posts, read 1,109,868 times
Default hey

I was never talking division title at all, just thrilled with the 3 and oh It is a long season and maybe Brett's last so I am very very happy for him that he does not have to deal with a team that is awful.... that at least looks enthused!!!! He has had to play with a sub par team the last few years and looks like they have something cooking Go Brett....GO pack!!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
sun

683 posts, read 1,966,800 times
As usual though, I think that they are still hindered in the play calling department. When I see them throw a longish pass on a 3rd down and 1 yard to go for a 1st down, and it ends up being incomplete, I think it's the same old poor play calling that's hurt them year after year.
I know they won but who's calling those plays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or